My PAS nightmare

mikestrek

Guys, Computers have taken over. Sup's don't care, They don't have to run the route. Sup's just want your numbers to look good so there numbers will look good. on road sup's don't even get it, All this new tech stuff is gonna do away with the on road sup. A manager will be able to monitor a driver from his office. Think about it. Supervisors became supervisors because they couldn't handle the day to day grind of package driving. on road sup's are now stressed because they can't get there drivers to run faster and make there numbers look good. In corporate america, All employes are a liability and are to be eliminated. I'm sure in the future drivers will be eliminated also. ROBOTS? Seriosly folks, Hang in there.

Tony31yrs

I retired 2 years ago right after they changed my route and put EDD in. My 8.5-9 hr route became 10-11. They took off half of my businesses and gave me apts and residentials. The dispatcher and the loop super had no clue. I liked EDD, but they expect you to do a lot more work and they still didn't know where to shift work when one guy was heavy and another was light. I was so aggravated my last summer(a record hot one) that I would have flipped out if I wouldn't have known I was retiring at the end of the year. I was always paid over when they sent me out heavy because, as I told them "When 5:30 rolls around and I have 30 stops left, I know my evening is shot, so I shift myself into low." I wasn't going to reward them for screwing me even though I didn't want to be out until 7:30-8. I just kept thinking it's time and a half in my pocket.

as I told them "When 5:30 rolls around and I have 30 stops left, I know my evening is shot, so I shift myself into low." I wasn't going to reward them for screwing me even though I didn't want to be out until 7:30-8. I just kept thinking it's time and a half in my pocket.

Really? I think you're a big talker.

The first time you ever told me you're going to milk time I'd call over another manager for you to repeat it to. Then we'd load you heavy.

Then at 6:00 we'd show up to watch you hustle and work at a brisk pace. If you weren't you'd be fired on the spot for theft and illegal job action.

30 year driver being a smart ass is just TOO attractive to overlook.

Once you're made an example of the rest of your boxline falls right in line. Been there, done that.

Tony31yrs

That's where you're wrong. I never caused any trouble for 30 years, but I would always give a good days work for a good days pay. Our local would always tell us that there are no time standards in the contract. I wouldn't screw off or sit anywhere-I'd just slow down. They could follow me all they wanted and not find anything to give me a warning letter on. In fact, I never got one in all the time I was there. If they rode with me, I took no shortcuts and followed every procedure. I was always paid over more when they rode along. If they kept me at 8-8 1/2 hrs, I would hustle and cut corners so that I was in early. I never let them see that they were intimidating me, so they wouldn't keep trying.
You sound like one of those harda*s supes that always had the union business agent in. We had a former driver that was the prez of the local and he took no crap from management. Unless you totally screwed up, the union stood behind you.

P

PAS ROCKS!!!

I guess 90263 is forgetting that this isn't FedEx. Since when did 'theft' and 'illegal job action' become cardinal sins? Oh did you mean "proven dishonesty"? Good luck firing someone who is actually working regardless of their pace. It's "work to the best of your ability" not hustle. The trick is to just work at a sustained pace all day. If mgmt gave me 12 hours worth of work, I would adjust my pace so I could last the entire day. 9 hours of work would get them a better pace. I've had managers come out and follow me, walk with me, try to walk on my heels, stopwatch me, go on 5 day rides, 3 days rides and the inevitable surprise ride. Everytime my SPORH went down and I'm still here!

I love PAS!!!

If you are a methods driver, PAS is your best friend. Just do it EXACTLY as it is in EDD, and don't mess around. One stop at a time, by the methods. My workday went from a planned 130 stops to over 185 for an 8.8 day when they implemented it. Not gonna happen! So I just did it as it was in EDD and rolled stops every day (called in of course) until they sat down with all my package detail and EDD and everything matched up. What could they say? The manager had to agree that 130 was a fair day so every day I go out with 125 to 139, and if it's over that they send someone out to take the excess. I'm in by 9.5 every day they dispatch correctly or send help out. Problem solved!

Just learn to do the methods, and drive everyday like a supervisor is riding with you. Do one stop at a time by the methods, shutting your bulkhead door, parking on the right side of the street, DO NOT SORT, use your 30" select and use the handcart properly. Pay attention to when you hit 'stop complete' so the time used for every stop is recorded correctly. Note any unusual gaps, such as customer delays, call in's, bathroom stops, etc; in excess of 10 minutes on a pocket calender. Then file your grievances to force them to dispatch you under 9.5.

It won't happen overnight but if you eliminate the usual excuse of "it's the drivers fault he's over 9.5", PAS can be your best friend.

By the Methods, By the Hour!

Tony31yrs

Good call. 90263 is probably one of those old-time managers that intimidates whoever he can. He doesn't realize that more drivers are sticking it to him because they can't stand him. I would always do more for a Supe or manager that would take care of me if I had a problem. After 20 years or more, a driver learns a lot of tricks to fight back. I had a lot of supes like 90263 and after the center production went down and a lot of grievances were filed, they usually got lateral transfers or sent to some small rural hub. He was probably one of those nazis that kept following guys on route and thought they didn't know. Hated by drivers and other supes, divorced, distant from his kids, but he had money and power at work. Another succesful loser with a tie.
I liked EDD when it was put in but the relooping that they did was bad. Some guys fought it and EDD was bad for them. The key is having the right people set up the route and adjust it with your input.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think PAS/EDD has been one of the best innovations in my nearly 20 years. The key is getting your DOL set up exactly the way that you want it, which, as stated above, can be a frustrating process. My DOL is 99% accurate, with only a few streets out of sequence but I have learned to work with this. EDD is especially helpful during Peak. The key in our center was a dispatch supervisor who actually cared enough to work with the drivers to ensure that the routes were set up correctly. Of course, you can only help those who want to help themselves--we had a couple of drivers who were dead set against PAS/EDD and did little or nothing to correct their DOLs and are still paying the price.

I won't bother to spend any time commenting on 90263 other than to say I am glad he is not in my center.

Directed, keep working on your center team as far as getting your suggested route changes implemented. I hope that they will listen as it will make your life much easier.

Griff

The first time you ever told me you're going to milk time I'd call over another manager for you to repeat it to. Then we'd load you heavy.

Then at 6:00 we'd show up to watch you hustle and work at a brisk pace. If you weren't you'd be fired on the spot for theft and illegal job action.

Once you're made an example of the rest of your boxline falls right in line. Been there, done that.

Just a little FYI, noob -- we work under a contract. You obviously have never heard of a contract and most certainly have never read the one we are employed under. A 30 year driver would laugh in your face when you show up with your sidekick and talk your big game.

currahee

We have been PAS/EDD for about 3 of 4 years now . I agree its a great tool if used the right way. My DOL is rock solid,just the way i want it. The problem is the dispatch sup feels as if has to shuffle work everday.Sometimes its a 1 stop split to get me to whatever pas says i need. Other times i get work off the guy next to me and he has my stuff.
I worked hard on my Dol and it paid off in the beginning ,but now i have same route different stuff everyday.

HAHAHA, I've known several sups just like you, been there done THAT. Strange enough, I am still working at UP$, they are NOT. I know what the drivers in your group call you, you prolly do too and you deserve the name. Any sup that would say " 30 year driver being a smart ass is just TOO attractive to overlook.", just shows that they have zero respect for the company they work for and have such a lofty self-esteem that even their dog doesn't like them. Yeah boy, you're a winner.

GoBrown???

EDD is really good if you have a proper dispatcher setting it up. Unfortunately mine is incompetent. Every year at xmas we're told your area will get smaller, well this year my area was 190 stops but 225 miles traveled. the rest of the year i was doing 110 stops and 100 miles. Hello!!! He gives us 3 way splits that are the same amount of stops...why move the work at all. Unfortunately they don't care anymore and if we as drivers try and explain it to them, they don't want to hear it because we don't have ties on and because it wasn't their idea.

mikestrek

As though you have any pull. Your one of us young man. Get over yourself. Gain some senority, then talk young man. That was just your first slap on the wrist. Keep it up.

Treegrower

Treegrower

Oh really? Well come on then. Let me see you load me up as I do the route 100% in trace 100% of the time and go over 12 hrs. and still bring stops back. Ditto, son. Been there done that. A few days of that and the center mgt. team falls right into place

A

Anonymous Comment

Oh really? Well come on then. Let me see you load me up as I do the route 100% in trace 100% of the time and go over 12 hrs. and still bring stops back. Ditto, son. Been there done that. A few days of that and the center mgt. team falls right into place

90263, that's not the way we do business any more. I'm doing my best to get rid of those that use that style. Not much use for Treegrower's attitude either. 90263's style breeds drivers like Treegrower who take revenge and accomplish nothing other than to make his supervisor hit back again. Everybody has to get revenge. The cycle never ends and noone wins. All this while our real competitors (FDX, DHL, and so forth) are eating our lunch.

Treegrower

Right you are.The last thing I want to have is a bad attitude. I don't like having to resort to those tactics. It is a choice of last resort. However, it is effective. I've been around quite awhile and like all supes, he'll soon be gone. moved out or rotated out. Don't let them get you down. My goal is to be left alone. So I don't purposely draw attention to myself and always try to help out when those situations arise,but when a supe cops an attitude like this one and we "get into it" and his impulse is to hit back, well then it's "rope a dope" time. Belive me he will punch himself out rather quickley. Doesn't mean I am invincible or bullet proof or untouchable. We all know that if they really, really .REALLY want to "get you" they can and will. At the same time I will not wither under the spotlight.

Tony31yrs

Ditto, Treegrower. I made it through 31 years with that attitude. I never caused trouble, but if they screwed me-I was screwing back. I didn't want a lot of OT, but if they piled it on me I wasn't going to reward them by skipping lunch and running to get done early. It didn't take long for them to realize that if they gave me a decent dispatch, I would scratch or be under. Give me too much OT and I was paid over.