Myron Named to UPS Management Committee

UPS Lifer

I still would like to know who I would go to with the information I have without feeling I am going to have hell to pay for it. I know what opening a can of worms can bring here-Do I wait and see if it ever happens to me? Do I talk at all? So it might be your advice to let what I have go and not worry about it?

I don't want to believe that ANYTHING I have seen is purposeful. Ignorant definitely but hopefully not purposeful. On the other hand, many, many things have changed in the last 6 or 7 years to make me wonder.

Last August I was aware that security was investigating two managers because of PTE problems. When security was done with the investigation their division manager was implicated and admitted directing changes; nothing was done with her.

One of the business managers subsequently went on disability due to anxiety and the other took a voluntary step down. It may not be purposeful, but it sure feels like it is. They were 43 and 46 both were replaced with younger managers.

What you need to do is go to an employment attorney. I would suggest getting recommendations away from the job. If you know people in other companies who are tied to HR - they may be able to get you the name of a reputable attorney. But it must be an attorney that specializes in employment nothing else!

This has not about lawsuits or the like. It is about getting a remedy for the situation!

If you have a case or a remedy is available, you will find out in the first session.

Keep this on the QT. Do not let anyone inside the company know what you are doing. Let the attorney tell you what the next step should be.

If he/she tells you that you have no case, find out why they feel that way and go from there.

If you are serious - I would highly recommend taking this advice and act now!
Good Luck

Myron

Myron,

There is an ethics hotline. I encourage you to call it. If someone in UPS management acted improperly they should be made aware.

Maybe I read your posts incorrectly, but I sure got the impression that you were alleging purposeful systematic discrimination.

P-Man
Pretzel, Re: Hotline and Systematic-

Systematic: Yes, I believe so...at least in this district. Outside I am not so sure- except former division managers on west coast and in the midwest believe I am onto something. I tried discreetly to get information about other districts and found the management I was in contact with did not have access to the same quality of information due to 1) lack of tracking themselves and 2) inability to get HRIS listings.

The two division managers I mentioned left the company. I would not have contacted them otherwise. These people are NOT part of my numbers.

Hotline: The hotline was rumored to have been called in this district, but not by me....by a demoted manager (she is 52). I have no idea what her complaint was or if she called confidentially, but shortly after her call she was reassigned to another operation. Many people close to her feel they came back on her. She is now off on disability. I am afraid to contact her.

Needless to say, I do not feel at all comfortable sharing what I have for this reason. The 800 line only routes information back to the district. I have seen it happen too many times. Likewise, 800 line is HR if I am not mistaken. This is an HR matter. Would that not be like telling someone to their face that their house is dirty and I am here to make sure you clean it? LOL!

I have toyed with the idea of sending copies of what I have to corporate HR. No hotline. No return address. However, if I do this, my wonder is how would I know if they (corporate) have come to inspect or audit what I contend is blatant problem. They would have to do the same due dilligence that I have. I would have to follow-up with people in order to know, and perhaps be discovered. Very cumbersome and risky. I only have a few years left.

EEOC will not touch if they have no one complaining. I would have to formalize a complaint. I will not do this for the reasons I mention above.

I do not know if this is a systematic targeting of an age group. It appears everyone is treated similarly, but the older management are definitely being moved the fastest that is, backward or out...they certainly aren't being promoted as quickly. At ages above 39 especially.

I will consider all advice I receive on this. MY district IS out of whack. My hope is it is not happening everywhere, but no one I have contacted can provide definitive information with a statistically relevant sample. People can only say, "It DIDN'T happen to me, or it DID happen to me, or I saw this..." They cannot provide numbers that could ever say it is or is not systemic.

I will not rush to a conclusion about anything. My data occurs over the last 10 years. Before making a determination of a systematic process someone would have to collect data that includes demotions, separations and if obtainable; disability; and the ages of who replaced these people. My sample is statistically sound for this district, but I don't have statistically relevant samples outside of it and lets face it. Most anyone who would do what I did in terms of information gathering would face extreme scrutiny.

BTW, if what I am saying is only happening in a third of the districts, I have estimated a cost savings to UPS in the $50 million range- EACH YEAR. (Good for my shares, bad for my anxiety levels-LOL).

It doesn't have to be happening in EVERY DISTRICT. And, it isn't like we at UPS are blatantly coming out and saying we are getting rid of you if you are older, but we at UPS may in fact get the same resulting attrition simply by changing a business plan "This is the COST and Revenue plan for this region and it's districts", "This is the COST and Revenue plan for that region and it's districts". It could also be done by:"We are auditing this function" and "We are NOT auditing that function", or "We need this element from you, we need that element from them." MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Most at UPS understand what simple changes in cost and revenue plans can do in terms of district attrition; the stress put on to obtain the plan; or any number of element improvements--it becomes equally tough treatment but perhaps with non-equal ramifications.

Is there a difference if it isn't age related, just age impacting??

I will probably retire with what I have researched unless of course they come after me for some unattainable element.

pretzel_man

Myron:

Call the hotline... I know some of the people that manage the hotline. Yes, they will route some information back to the district to resolve (if warranted).

Yes, its HR, but remember HR is the one in trouble if action is not taken. I've seen HR react properly over and over again.

HR ha much more to lose by ignoring the situation (after you make them aware) than by reacting.

BTW, read the compliance manual. If you're in management and are aware of improper situations, you have a responsibility to react. Since you are aware, its now in your court.

P-Man