National Grid Doesn't Fool Around!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
UPS couldn't do that....

Out of curiosity, because they aren’t allowed to?

No disrespect intended, as I know others read this forum.

It's a good question.

In the realm of labor law, strikes and lockouts are types of work stoppages.

• Strikes are initiated by the employees and is when the workers cease work during a labor dispute.
  • Lockouts are initiated by the employer and is a denial of employment during a labor dispute.

This is a (over) simplification.

Or, because they couldn’t replace that many workers at once?

That's exactly it.

Replace 260,000 experienced Union workers ? Not gonna happen.

They can't get people to work there now....

-Bug-

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
No disrespect intended, as I know others read this forum.

It's a good question.

In the realm of labor law, strikes and lockouts are types of work stoppages.

• Strikes are initiated by the employees and is when the workers cease work during a labor dispute.
  • Lockouts are initiated by the employer and is a denial of employment during a labor dispute.

This is a (over) simplification.

That's exactly it.

Replace 260,000 experienced Union workers ? Not gonna happen.

They can't get people to work there now....

-Bug-
A lockout can actually help the cause, as it brings to light how the company has no issues keeping loyal employees out of work because they disagree with issues on negotiations, making them make us strike, in practice that is. In today’s environment, that could really backfire on a company in terms of PR.

brown_trousers

A lockout can actually help the cause, as it brings to light how the company has no issues keeping loyal employees out of work because they disagree with issues on negotiations, making them make us strike, in practice that is. In today’s environment, that could really backfire on a company in terms of PR.
I wonder how a lockout actually helps a business though? Why wouldnt national grid just keep working its employees while they are negotiating?

Is it some kind of power play? A bluff?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I wonder how a lockout actually helps a business though? Why wouldnt national grid just keep working its employees while they are negotiating?

Is it some kind of power play? A bluff?
Yes, trying to starve out an unprepared union to break it. If they can staff it with certified replacements, they can keep the lockout under effect while negotiations are still going. On a lockout, they aren’t legally allowed to let any bargaining unit work, even if they wanted to cross the line.

Gimme Danger

In a lockout, workers can collect unemployment, which helps the workers potentially stay out longer than they would in a strike. The pressure is on the company, and a good public campaign by the union would help with leverage in negotiations.