NE Pension Fund in Critical and Declining Status for 2022-2023 Plan Year

I need to be educated on what this means. It looks like this has been going on for atleast a few years if not more because I saw the same message a few years ago. I know its not good news, but is it really that bad? I havent worked at UPS for about 6 years and I'm only 41 years old, so I'm still a long ways from collecting my pension. Based on this news, what concern should I have for being able to collect my pension in 20+ years?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I need to be educated on what this means. It looks like this has been going on for atleast a few years if not more because I saw the same message a few years ago. I know its not good news, but is it really that bad? I havent worked at UPS for about 6 years and I'm only 41 years old, so I'm still a long ways from collecting my pension. Based on this news, what concern should I have for being able to collect my pension in 20+ years?
They applied for the pension bailout on 2/11/23. You can follow the progress here:

www.pbgc.gov

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Not their fault like the central state pension even though the central folk did zero to fix the problem for decades?

Shiftless

Key words are "I havent worked at UPS for about 6 years"

So he is 41 now, minus leaving 6 years ago, making him 35 years of age when he left the company.

Probably thinking he is gonna get a huge retirement check each month at 62 or 65 years of age.

Gotta Love Positive Thinking!

rod

Retired 22 years
Not their fault like the central state pension even though the central folk did zero to fix the problem for decades?
How many times do I have to explain that the Central States Pension Fund went broke under the "Watchful Eye " of the Federal government which had taken it over in the 80's because they thought Jimmy Hoffa wasn't administrating it properly. The Fed's broke it -it was their responsibility to fix it. I know nothing about the NE Pension Fund

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I need to be educated on what this means. It looks like this has been going on for atleast a few years if not more because I saw the same message a few years ago. I know it’s not good news, but is it really that bad? I havent worked at UPS for about 6 years and I'm only 41 years old, so I'm still a long ways from collecting my pension. Based on this news, what concern should I have for being able to collect my pension in 20+ years?
By the time you’re ready to collect it at 64, it will have about 7 years left. Let us know in 23 years how you make out. Of course it could be longer, I hear they’re gonna increase the retirement age.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm not sure UPS or the Teamsters will even be around in 23 years. With UPS continually cutting services and pinching pennies and the Teamsters losing membership the future of both of them looks pretty bleak.

UnionStrong

I'm not sure UPS or the Teamsters will even be around in 23 years. With UPS continually cutting services and pinching pennies and the Teamsters losing membership the future of both of them looks pretty bleak.
I probably won’t be around anyway.

UnionStrong

Key words are "I havent worked at UPS for about 6 years"

So he is 41 now, minus leaving 6 years ago, making him 35 years of age when he left the company.

Probably thinking he is gonna get a huge retirement check each month at 62 or 65 years of age.

Gotta Love Positive Thinking!
If he’s fully vested he’ll get whatever the pension was when he left UPS. He’s got at least a 23 year wait.

Wally

How many times do I have to explain that the Central States Pension Fund went broke under the "Watchful Eye " of the Federal government which had taken it over in the 80's because they thought Jimmy Hoffa wasn't administrating it properly. The Fed's broke it -it was their responsibility to fix it. I know nothing about the NE Pension Fund
If one is in financial trouble, don't you take immediate action to rectify? They did zero, for decades?

UnionStrong

If one is in financial trouble, don't you take immediate action to rectify? They did zero, for decades?
What were they supposed to do? The money wasn’t coming in from members anymore. Maybe they should have planted money trees?

Wally

What were they supposed to do? The money wasn’t coming in from members anymore. Maybe they should have planted money trees?
Poor planning. You stop paying, you should be out. That clause wasn't in the agreement? That is the money tree.