Need Advice from part time supervisor on belts. Shoud I become a PT sup?

Puggy

Hi
I work at a Hub as a Preloader. So I'm good at throwing boxes but it feels like a dead end, I want to be a driver but that comes later anyway my question is ... I have already applied for a PT sup but is it worth it? The job is fairly simple help load, maintain your belt and hope your other coworkers that you supervise aren't :censored2:s besides that paper work. Please anyone that has good advice . I want more money also and I also want to know what's good in the Long run not short term. THANKS TO anyone that responds

PT Car Washer

Supervisors are not suppose to help load. Almost impossible to go driving from a supervisor position. If you are that good at your job why would they want to move you from it?

Puggy

My supervisor lies to me and told me to stay because it's better. But then the Head supervisor likes my attitude and loads and wants me to train others to do or try to do the same thing I Just want to know what's good in the long run and I do want to be a driver. Loading isn't what I've planned to do I'm good at it but what's the point of being good at tossing boxes. I'm pretty sure the only reason my supervisor don't want me to leave it's because finding another guy to load 5 trucks and not have the slide jam up is hard

Puggy

I don't want to do it just to wear POLO shirt and the ability to bring your cell phone in the center lol I want to do it because of DO I have stability lol and how long does it take for raises on a PT sup to take? What's the difference of pay on PT sup from preload position

AndUPSER

TO MAKE IT SHORT I WANT MORE MONEY lol

If you want to be a driver but need more money now, try to see if you can double shift, vacation cover for 22.3 employees, run Saturday air, or become an air exception driver.

Also you can be a driver helper starting in November - Christmas Eve. Where I'm at the pay was bumped up to $15 an hour starting this peak season. Overtime after 8 though if you driver help.

blkmamba

Hi
I work at a Hub as a Preloader. So I'm good at throwing boxes but it feels like a dead end, I want to be a driver but that comes later anyway my question is ... I have already applied for a PT sup but is it worth it? The job is fairly simple help load, maintain your belt and hope your other coworkers that you supervise aren't :censored2:s besides that paper work. Please anyone that has good advice . I want more money also and I also want to know what's good in the Long run not short term. THANKS TO anyone that responds
Don't do it, I'm a former sup and you will absolutely regret everyone. Trust me everyone thinks there experience will be good but it's not. You will face a ridiculous amount of stress, sure the initial pay bump is nice (start around 15 dollars an hour) but it is all downhill from there. Your raises are once a year and can vary from 25-70 cents depending on how much your center manager likes you. If you don't have a degree your chances of moving up are zero.

Puggy

Black mamba mind if you could explain to me the daily grind of your position starting to when you clock and and out ? If you don't mind I usually just see my sup scan the trucks then after that he's gone for a bit. never helped anyone on the belt except to tell them to move faster or load better that's it I load average 320 PPH I don't know what that means they just usually tell me I'm on crack everyday. I just see my sup with a lot of extra time to spare besides walking around with a paper and marking it off as he go that's it

blkmamba

Black mamba mind if you could explain to me the daily grind of your position starting to when you clock and and out ? If you don't mind I usually just see my sup scan the trucks then after that he's gone for a bit. never helped anyone on the belt except to tell them to move faster or load better that's it I load average 320 PPH I don't know what that means they just usually tell me I'm on crack everyday. I just see my sup with a lot of extra time to spare besides walking around with a paper and marking it off as he go that's it
Pph stands for packages per hour or how many packages u r loading to how many you should be. Usually you get there thirty to forty minutes before hourlies and depending on your previous days numbers you will either get screamed at or told they better improve today. Hence, your supervisor saying load faster. During the sort the job is pretty chill, safety paper work but you must look busy at all times. If something does happen in your area like a belts off to break a jam, it is always your fault. After sort, you have to verify time cards are accurate. The worst part of the job is you will get blamed for everything that goes wrong. If I did it all over again I would have stayed union and either looked for another job to supplement my income or tried to double shift.

Puggy

Oh damn I already sign up for the mishaps BS. lol shirt I'm gonna ask to double shift then IM SCARED now. one of the guys that just literally started hated the load but then :censored2: up anyway and got a PT supervisor position and thought he wouldn't load anymore but he had to because some players call off work lol but yeah THANKS for your info it helps a lot on making a decision I don't want to be stuck in a position I can't get out of MY head supervisor said I can easily go to driver if I want to but I think he's lying because all the driver said it was nearly impossible if any to get from Sup to Driver

blkmamba

Oh damn I already sign up for the mishaps BS. lol shirt I'm gonna ask to double shift then IM SCARED now. one of the guys that just literally started hated the load but then :censored2: up anyway and got a PT supervisor position and thought he wouldn't load anymore but he had to because some players call off work lol but yeah THANKS for your info it helps a lot on making a decision I don't want to be stuck in a position I can't get out of MY head supervisor said I can easily go to driver if I want to but I think he's lying because all the driver said it was nearly impossible if any to get from Sup to Driver
There's a 6:1 ratio for drivers meaning 6 inside employees must be hired before a supervisor or other non union member has a chance to be hired as a driver. Once that one position does come up it comes down to politics to get it. Remember, you do not have to accept a supervisor position.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Wow! It has been almost two weeks since some newbie part timer has asked this forum whether they should be seduced by the dark side. The answer is the same....If you are going to make UPS a career don't do it. If you want it as a resume enhancement then do it but remember that on the UPS food chain you'll be at the bottom.

Fedex Guy

Hi
My advice is don't go sup. Get a 2nd job to supplement your income and wait on the driver position. Who knows though, I'm just the town drunk/village idiot!

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.