Need help/advise for being fired for so-called "dishonesty."

barnyard

KTM rider
My last accident was backing into and breaking the hoop off a bball hoop. I heard it. No 2 ways about it. There were no marks on my truck and I called it in immediately. I got a warning letter for the accident.

If you did it, you heard it. If you then left the scene, you're done. You can try fighting it and might get your job back. If there are any marks on your package car, probably not.

I would say, though, that since there is a witness and that the center manager believes the witness, I would guess you are SOL.

The only way to no for sure though, is to contact the union and appeal.

TB

backinbrown

respect my authority
GOAL you mean like shot a basket? Seriously, the economy is in the toilet there are too many drivers for business. It seems really easy to start firing drivers for anything and everything. From what I read its his word against customers. What ever happend to innocent until proven guilty? Why did this take 4 days for customer to report? I think someone saw the brown truck and saw $$$$$$$$$$:happy2:
Brown truck equals money i agree people see us that way and it is unfortunate, and with the way the economy is i agree they are looking to lighten the load of drivers

and when economy picks up hire new drivers for less pay

govols019

You smell that?
About 10 years ago I had an incident very similar to this one. I never knew I hit a basketball goal until I got back to the building and management informed me that a customer had called in. To this day I still say I didn't hit it and the customer was just looking for some free money.

Not sure what was ever done as I never heard another word about it after the inital report.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Let's stop quibbling about first person or third person and try and give the poster some good advice.

Helen, the advice is only as good as the information given to receive such advice. If the poster cant be truthful enough to post that simple an answer truthfully, then what good would any other advice be?

P, a couple of things. You can continue to post here and get a lot of comments about what shoulda/coulda/woulda, and a ton of JMHO. Bottom line is that with any damage to the car, you are going to be hard pressed to convince anyone that you didnt know.

But there are some other questions. Was the goal one of those that you can move around or stationary. You said it was snowing or had snowed. How much and how cold? Was the snow frozen? Was the drive cleared of snow? What made you stop going up the drive?

Also, what statements have you given to UPS at this time. Did you have a steward with you that is knowledgeable?

d

drewed

Shankman
But there are some other questions. Was the goal one of those that you can move around or stationary. You said it was snowing or had snowed. How much and how cold? Was the snow frozen? Was the drive cleared of snow? What made you stop going up the drive?

d

I think this would be the biggest question is, I dont think Ive EVER seen a drive way that even with a long bed truck (20 ft or so) didnt have 2 ft or so of extra space. Sounds to me like you knew you hit something and pulled out....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would have asked the man shoveling to spot me as he was a contributing factor to leaving myself an out. Just maybe one of the cars were his & he could have moved it.

I can see where your thought process is but this should be avoided as the liability is still with the driver if something does happen. I will always tell anyone who offers to spot me on a back "Thanks, but no thanks".

Moving the car would have been the better alternative.

Walking off the pkg would have been best.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I can see where your thought process is but this should be avoided as the liability is still with the driver if something does happen. I will always tell anyone who offers to spot me on a back "Thanks, but no thanks".

Moving the car would have been the better alternative.

yes we have a winner

The driver would have to back up eventually in this scenario. He pulled forward into the cul-de-sac thinking he could make the circle. It's always a tough call in these situations.

backinbrown

respect my authority
The driver would have to back up eventually in this scenario. He pulled forward into the cul-de-sac thinking he could make the circle. It's always a tough call in these situations.

I agree sometimes when i get to a crappy driveway and it is dead end i will turn around in someone elses driveway who has more room

and the whole time wonder if they are pissed because i just used their drive to spin around

but better safe than sorry

barnyard

KTM rider
That's why we are supposed to stay out of residential driveways.

I have some cul de sacs where there is not enough room to turn around in the summer, let alone after a plow truck has piled up snow. There are a couple that I will nose into the driveway, to back up into the street to get turned around.

It does not follow UPS rules, but I am putting less of the truck into the driveway than if I backed into the driveway.

TB

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Drewed

easy there. Dont jump to conclusions. There could be a lot of reasons why. I just am curious as to why.

Take this conversation one step at a time. What did he know and when did he know it. Basically there you have it.

I find that as lazy as I am, its better to make up my mind once. Saves a lot of energy that way.

So gather the intel, get the statements, look at the evidence, then draw a logical conclusion.

BTW, the house that I live in currently has a goal on it as well. 28 years ago, we had a driver (an outside hire that was trying to support 5 kids, a wife and mother and mother-in-law.) that scraped it with the package car. Did no damage. Told the person he delivered the package to and called it in. Because he only had 28 days in, they let him go. It sucked, as he was a really nice guy and really needed the job.

d

backinbrown

respect my authority
I have some cul de sacs where there is not enough room to turn around in the summer, let alone after a plow truck has piled up snow. There are a couple that I will nose into the driveway, to back up into the street to get turned around.

It does not follow UPS rules, but I am putting less of the truck into the driveway than if I backed into the driveway.

TB

Please dont take this wrong

find a better driveway to back into rather than nose in and back out

we are a target for people

you know there are people who will see you nose in and let you hit them

please dont be offended jmho