Need help/information re death of a UPSer

First of all, very sorry for the loss of your son. You have my condolences.

The life insurance benefit is administered through the union healthcare plan, also known as TeamCare. The benefit is 1040 x hourly wage @ $100,000 max with a minimum payout of $40,000. This is verified through book 1 of the Teamcare UPS Summary Plan Document which I have attached at the bottom of this post.

I don't know if he would have to change beneficiaries upon transfer as he would likely still be enrolled under TeamCare and those documents should still be valid. My assumption would be those documents would carry with him if he was covered under TeamCare while in Roswell.

Your son's local union (while he was working in Louisville) is Teamsters Local 89. Their office number is 502-368-5885 and additional contact for benefits administrators can be found here: Teamsters Local 89. It looks like Local 89 has several full time benefits staffers that they should be able to act as a liaison between you and TeamCare. I would recommend dealing with TeamCare through Local 89 rather than directly.

Thank you, I will give them a call today. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and assistance more than you know. I will let you all know what I learn too.

KKM

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would think if a beneficiary is not chosen, it would go right to the estate. UPS doesn't gain anything by fighting this, since it isn't their money. It is administered by the local union.

Sorry for your loss

Unfortunately if there is no beneficiary chosen the proceeds would go to the state, not his estate.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Unfortunately if there is no beneficiary chosen the proceeds would go to the state, not his estate.

It would go through probate through the deceased's estate !
The state doesn't pocket free money like that.

It may go to the state if no one probates the estate and no family.
Other than that, no way.

trickpony1

The OP may want to call/click/visit her states insurance commission and get their opinion.

If she is close enough she may want to personally visit them.

Sorry for your loss and even more sorry you are getting jacked around during this difficult time.

The OP may want to call/click/visit her states insurance commission and get their opinion.

If she is close enough she may want to personally visit them.

Sorry for your loss and even more sorry you are getting jacked around during this difficult time.

I called the local for L'ville yesterday and left a message but I have not heard back from them yet. For the Insurance Commission, would that need to be Ky's Commission or where the Insurance Co is located, which is in Illinois?

Thank you for your help,
KKM

Nimnim

The Nim
Thinking about this since yesterday they were probably under the UPS insurance plan as a PTer in the southern region and with the new contract got removed from that and put into the teamcare plan. So I wouldn't be surprised if beneficiary information would not have transferred over.

oldngray

nowhere special
Thinking about this since yesterday they were probably under the UPS insurance plan as a PTer in the southern region and with the new contract got removed from that and put into the teamcare plan. So I wouldn't be surprised if beneficiary information would not have transferred over.

Teamcare shouldn't have anything to do with life insurance.

Update, Local 89 called me today and were very helpful and were able to give me a direct number to the life insurance provider for Teamcare. I left a message they also called me back today. It turns out it is a matter of when the life insurance for part time went from UPS to Teamcare he should have filled out another beneficiary form as it is two different policies.

They were very nice and helpful. This is unbelievably difficult to try to talk to someone on the phone and not cry over the situation at the same time. Everyone has been so patient with me and compassionate. People don't have to be, but everyone regarding this has been, you all included. Thank you for all the assistance and thoughts, it is what has helped me unravel this.

KKM