Need help scratching a route

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Let's say start is 9, 4:45 would be 7.75. 8 hour guarantee bumps you up .25, so there's most of your over allowed. They can't fault you for an under dispatch. Lunch doesn't count against production, so take it, it will help you rest up for the second half of the day so you can move more quickly. If you need to sort your car during lunch to qualify, no one ought to think less of you, just don't do it the whole time. Also, be at your next stop ready to deliver at the end of your lunch. This is actually company policy, according to my on road, so you won't get in trouble for driving during your lunch.

I felt like I had to run to qualify too, but once you get conditioned to the job, and get to know the routes inside and out, you will find that a slightly faster than normal walking pace will be enough. The time saved is all in the routines and automatic motions. When you aren't wasting time making decisions, your day gets much easier.
The company doesn’t give drivers enough time for the most basic things, that’s the problem... it’s really not your problem to find ”ingenious “ ways to try to beat the route everyday....the whole system is a scam and someone who can’t see that needs their head checked.... I’ve seen many examples of how unfair this system is over the years and how the job has been manipulated also by both the company and bonus drivers.... I could go out with a sup and obverse 95% of the drivers who run bonus or run scratch for that matter and see them doing things that they should not be doing or was trained to not do!!!! I believe there is a very small amount of drivers who get lucky with scratch or bonus or who have large pickups or such that help with the allowance... but in most cases it is a scam!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You said you punched out at 4:45pm and that was STILL over? What the hell kind of route is that?
That would have been 2 hours under 10 years ago..... they manipulate the numbers.. any person who would think a corporation would play fair with a worker, especially a union worker is a dumb dumb....seriously???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Study your route so you know how the numbers run and where the breaks are.
Keep a notepad with buisness hours, codes, and relevant info as is good practice for the routes you will cover if you qualify.
Are you filling out info notices as soon as you announce yourself or waiting two minutes?
I can scratch the worst routes on a good day, but not if I panic so stay calm and handle your buisness. .30 over is 18 minutes, so that is fixable.
When I qualified I keyed in anytime spent in building over 10 minutes as approved meeting per my center manager.
You can run every stop or you can know the route well enough so you dont have to run at all.
Keep on overthinking things Einstein.... you probably put your lunch in as the drive out to the area and your breaks as the drive back....you sound like a gamer...do you roll your sleeves up also and wear nike high tops????

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The company doesn’t give drivers enough time for the most basic things, that’s the problem... it’s really not your problem to find ”ingenious “ ways to try to beat the route everyday....the whole system is a scam and someone who can’t see that needs their head checked.... I’ve seen many examples of how unfair this system is over the years and how the job has been manipulated also by both the company and bonus drivers.... I could go out with a sup and obverse 95% of the drivers who run bonus or run scratch for that matter and see them doing things that they should not be doing or was trained to not do!!!! I believe there is a very small amount of drivers who get lucky with scratch or bonus or who have large pickups or such that help with the allowance... but in most cases it is a scam!!

I couldn't agree with you more. I only advocate some tweaking of the rules for people trying to qualify. Once a driver gains seniority, it behooves them to learn how to play the game so they can make it through their career intact.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I couldn't agree with you more. I only advocate some tweaking of the rules for people trying to qualify. Once a driver gains seniority, it behooves them to learn how to play the game so they can make it through their career intact.
Absolutely.... what really pisses me off is when I see guys who were borderline runners and overnight their routes change and now mgt treats them like a piece of sht....friend these mgrs and sups, they really have no respect for any of us no matter whst we do...

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
About 165 stops that day.

8:55am start time.

What is everyones recommendation dealing with irregulars? Should I knock those out after NDA's? I hate having to break away from my route and bypass stops. But then again they are in my way when I'm trying to sort. So I'm trying to figure out the best solution if I come across it again this week.
You could always do what one senior driver does at our hub. he's been running his route for 30 years. He shows up at 8:20ish, and he goes through the whole load. He asked his loader to just leave the irregs outside his car till the last second and he helps him with em.

Bigfoot11

Punch in, other work, approve meeting until you get to your first stop. Sort while on a paid 20, and you should be good. If you're in before 5 everyday you've all ready made it. :censored2: what your on road says.

El Correcto

god is dead
Punch in, other work, approve meeting until you get to your first stop. Sort while on a paid 20, and you should be good. If you're in before 5 everyday you've all ready made it. :censored2: what your on road says.
Until he says your fired and you end up sitting at home waiting for your local hearing.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
You could always do what one senior driver does at our hub. he's been running his route for 30 years. He shows up at 8:20ish, and he goes through the whole load. He asked his loader to just leave the irregs outside his car till the last second and he helps him with em.
And I hate the practice.
It's not irregs, but the three or so businesses that blow out and must be delegated to the floor.
When that 30 year driver leaves. The poor kid that bid his route will get a larger truck, 30 extra stops with 2 extra heavy pickups on top of what is already a difficult time-sensitive route.

Db2400

30 years and still gets there early and works for free. What a joke

Arch

So the Center Manager extended my training to an extra week. So last week I ran -25, -40 and -70 on 3 of the 5 work days. This Monday I was -45 but on Tuesday and today, they started added new areas to my route. I did not scratch those days and have been at 1.25 on average. If they expect me to scratch why do they insists they make it even harder when I've already beat the time? They either don't want me or secretly lied about extending my training. At this point, I'm going to slow the :censored2: down because my legs are starting to hurt from all that running. I think I would not regret going back to part time because I actual feel like I'm doing my best and they obviously don't want me. I have enough years to get into a combo job and work my way up into some decent positions. So that is plan B for me.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So the Center Manager extended my training to an extra week. So last week I ran -25, -40 and -70 on 3 of the 5 work days. This Monday I was -45 but on Tuesday and today, they started added new areas to my route. I did not scratch those days and have been at 1.25 on average. If they expect me to scratch why do they insists they make it even harder when I've already beat the time? They either don't want me or secretly lied about extending my training. At this point, I'm going to slow the :censored2: down because my legs are starting to hurt from all that running. I think I would not regret going back to part time because I actual feel like I'm doing my best and they obviously don't want me. I have enough years to get into a combo job and work my way up into some decent positions. So that is plan B for me.

Check with your BA and see what your supplemental and/or rider say about the qualifying issue. In my area if you continue to drive on the 31st day, you are qualified. They can extend the amount of time you have to get your 30 days in. Here, I believe you have 90 days to get 30 driving days, but if you didn't make it, they can extend it to 120 days. If you still don't get the days in, they can restart your qualifying period.

I've heard some areas have 40 days in 70, but if you read the language the extra days are for up to ten days of classroom training. So, if they wanted to do 5 more days of classroom training after integrad they could.

summersaltstains

So this week will be my 6th week and been told by my on road sup that will be the important week for me to make scratch.

I feel like I know the route well enough, but I haven't hit the zero mark yet. Last Thursday I clocked out at 4:45pm and felt like I was the first one back since I see no trucks. I was .30 over allowed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong at this point. I try running for every stop. Didn't even take my lunch nor did I felt something was slowing me down. My gut feeling is telling me I'm not going to make the cut. Friday was pretty awful since I got slam with irregulars blocking my ability to sort the back. Any tips is appreciated.
The best thing you can do is befriend a nearby driver and take some tight resi,stops from him. The day I did that was the only day I ever scratched. I guess the time allowance for helping is generous . Just make sure they are quick stops.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Stay organized. STAY ORGANIZED. Selection time is everything. As you're grabbing your current stop, try to quickly identify your next and slide it up. When you sort on lunch, put bulk stops in the back of the truck so you can grab and go. Whenever possible, keep bulk stops in tubs so you can grab and go. Don't friend around with signature requireds/apartments. One knock, scan info notice and fill it out, when you're done filling it out knock one more time then you're outta there. Do not, DO NOT get chatty with customers.
When you're driving, you're being 100% safe. As soon as that engine stops, you are a fluid moving maniac. Find the rythym my friend.