Need help with damaged package

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoomeom

Hello,

I recently purchased a MacBook from Swappa and the seller shipped it through UPS. The item ended up being damaged and the seller had insurance for the package. I ended up checking up with UPS on a weekly basis and was told since the seller had insurance, I could not get my refund through PayPal until the insurance process is cleared. They just passed the claim after I provided evidence of the item arriving damaged. He just got paid this past Tuesday and now told PayPal he will not refund me until he receives his item back. I was told by UPS that they would send a salvage tag and pick up the item. He made it clear that this will not go back to the seller. Can someone please clarify this for me? I'm extremely skeptical on behalf of the entire situation and feel I was baited into this entire mess. I understand the damage item is his, but my worry is that UPS never told me to return the item to the seller.

Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Hello,

I recently purchased a MacBook from Swappa and the seller shipped it through UPS. The item ended up being damaged and the seller had insurance for the package. I ended up checking up with UPS on a weekly basis and was told since the seller had insurance, I could not get my refund through PayPal until the insurance process is cleared. They just passed the claim after I provided evidence of the item arriving damaged. He just got paid this past Tuesday and now told PayPal he will not refund me until he receives his item back. I was told by UPS that they would send a salvage tag and pick up the item. He made it clear that this will not go back to the seller. Can someone please clarify this for me? I'm extremely skeptical on behalf of the entire situation and feel I was baited into this entire mess. I understand the damage item is his, but my worry is that UPS never told me to return the item to the seller.

Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance

UPS will not pay out a claim on the package without inspecting the original packaging. That's why they would send out a driver to pick it up with a damage call tag. After inspection it is supposed to be returned to the shipper. Since it was insured, and the insurance has paid out, all you should care about is getting your refund. Send the package back directly to the shipper with some sort of tracking service to make sure they get it.

Johney

UPS will not pay out a claim on the package without inspecting the original packaging. That's why they would send out a driver to pick it up with a damage call tag. After inspection it is supposed to be returned to the shipper. Since it was insured, and the insurance has paid out, all you should care about is getting your refund. Send the package back directly to the shipper with some sort of tracking service to make sure they get it.
Pretty sure if UPS pays a claim on a damaged package they bought it so they keep it. Sent to overgoods with the rest of the lost stuff or to the garbage.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
What happens if you wreck your car and insurance pays you the value? Do you wait to get your car back before paying the lien holder (the bank you financed through) what they are owed?

Insurance paid, he’s now been made whole and has your money on top of that. File with PayPal and send in supporting documentation.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Bad idea.
If the claim has been paid the seller should have no problem refunding. Getting the item back is irrelevant.
The issue is with paypal and the seller.

Zoomeom

I appreciate all your replies and advice. I have responded to PayPal to see what they say and will be calling UPS back now. My worry is that I give the seller his item and UPS sends a truck to pick up the item at my place as they never instructed me to return the item. I was told by UPS claims department that if a claim is approved and the seller is paid, then the item now belongs to UPS.

Shiftless

I appreciate all your replies and advice. I have responded to PayPal to see what they say and will be calling UPS back now. My worry is that I give the seller his item and UPS sends a truck to pick up the item at my place as they never instructed me to return the item. I was told by UPS claims department that if a claim is approved and the seller is paid, then the item now belongs to UPS.

Don't give the seller the item back! Only let it go to UPS for inspection NOT the seller! They (UPS) and only they will determine if their is a claim to be paid. A driver will come to your door with a "Call Tag" to pick up the package for inspection. Have the original packaging and item ready to be shipped. Driver does not wait for you to box item up.

Zoomeom

Don't give the seller the item back! Only let it go to UPS for inspection NOT the seller! They (UPS) and only they will determine if their is a claim to be paid. A driver will come to your door with a "Call Tag" to pick up the package for inspection. Have the original packaging and item ready to be shipped. Driver does not wait for you to box item up.

Well the funny thing is they already approved the claim as they only asked for Pics. I went out of my way to give him pictures and even a video. The UPS store said he already got his check for his claim amount but I’ve yet to be told by UPS that they are picking up the item.

Zoomeom

Depends on the value of package.

$947.19 was the value of the package. I’m currently waiting on a callback from UPS. He told me the claim was approved and the seller has been paid. To be pulled in to this crap because of the seller really pisses me off. On top of that having to wait for all this just to get my money back has been a lesson learned. In case you wanna see how the package arrived... I wasn’t home, but the package was given to my sister who just accepted it. If I would’ve been home I wouldn’t have accepted it in the shape it came in.

Attachments

• 909D5D23-1F61-4F15-8B62-5A67FB95075D.jpeg
    909D5D23-1F61-4F15-8B62-5A67FB95075D.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 498A6AE2-1A73-427A-A1DE-63F9E8A2D7F7.jpeg
    498A6AE2-1A73-427A-A1DE-63F9E8A2D7F7.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 732BA09F-DEC5-41E4-A398-74A6D26CCFF3.jpeg
    732BA09F-DEC5-41E4-A398-74A6D26CCFF3.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 846A9959-FCDA-481C-9145-41B5230BA4E3.jpeg
    846A9959-FCDA-481C-9145-41B5230BA4E3.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 2DBB5E4B-EFD6-4DC9-98EF-730423282A17.jpeg
    2DBB5E4B-EFD6-4DC9-98EF-730423282A17.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 101

upschuck

$947.19 was the value of the package. I’m currently waiting on a callback from UPS. He told me the claim was approved and the seller has been paid. To be pulled in to this crap because of the seller really pisses me off. On top of that having to wait for all this just to get my money back has been a lesson learned. In case you wanna see how the package arrived... I wasn’t home, but the package was given to my sister who just accepted it. If I would’ve been home I wouldn’t have accepted it in the shape it came in.
Depends what they insured it for, I should of said. If we pay the claim, we, in essence, bought the product, so if is ours.

To me, it sounds like they didn't put the value of product in, so they are only going to get $100, that's why they want it back.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Depends what they insured it for, I should of said. If we pay the claim, we, in essence, bought the product, so if is ours.

To me, it sounds like they didn't put the value of product in, so they are only going to get $100, that's why they want it back.

You’re making alot of assumptions my slimy friend

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This isn’t hard, PayPal has buyer protections. This is a pretty cut and dry case for PayPal. Seller was paid what he insured it for ($100.00) at the least. What he got from UPS is irrelevant, you got a damaged item when you paid for a fully functional item. Buyer gets his money back 100%, seller and PayPal can worry about the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.