Need Help with Fed Ex policy in 90's

vantexan

If someone stops us on the street and asks for a pkg we are supposed to verify their identity. But when we go to the door of a residence and someone answers we don't care if they are the recipient or not as long as they are old enough. Awhile back I had an Adult Sig Req pkg that was signed for by a woman who walked up to me confidently at a residence in the country, smiling pleasantly and thanking me. Turned out to be some serious drugs and the recipient was the only person who lived there and he wasn't home. Had to answer a bunch of questions about that one.[/QUOTE

How is that lady signing for the package your problem? Sounds like she was an adult...and signed. Requirement met. I guess you should have administered an oath, asked for a blood and stool sample, and her passport.

When controlled drugs turn up missing questions are asked. Had to give a description, say exactly what happened. Recip had no idea who she was. Beyond that never heard anything more.

JK111

Thanks guys. That's all I will need is someone to state the 'obvious.' Our fed ex letter from their legal covers everything else. Happy to email the Fed Ex letter that you would essentially back up (if you find appropriate) and to state how packages were delivered without checking id's unless suspicious circumstances. Pretty tame stuff but would help in this 20 year old matter greatly. Can I email someone the situation?

Let me know.

JK111

Mr. Fed Ex. Where can I get a quick letter detailing the delivery process. Essentially 1- we will deliver to anyone over 18 year old? 2- We do not ask for ID's? 3- We do not verify signatures? Are they true. If so, how do I get confirmed by any driver. Fed Ex Legal has kindly helped with all the rest. They were very helpful actually.

Thanks,

vantexan

Mr. Fed Ex. Where can I get a quick letter detailing the delivery process. Essentially 1- we will deliver to anyone over 18 year old? 2- We do not ask for ID's? 3- We do not verify signatures? Are they true. If so, how do I get confirmed by any driver. Fed Ex Legal has kindly helped with all the rest. They were very helpful actually.

Thanks,

Why not go to a local FedEx station and ask a mgr to sign off on letter you write up that it's so? If he won't ask a local courier.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
Let's see. I give you my email address (which you of course can trace) and ...

Awwww nevermind. I suggest you look up various Fedex lawsuits. Get with a person that WON! Sure they would love to tell you all about Fedex in the 90's.

Besides, if we can tell you all about the 90's, we are looking forward to retirement soon. We will get fired, for devulging certain company info.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Thanks,

I would love to help you. However, by providing you with a signed letter providing the information you are asking for, they could fire me. If they helped you with the other information you needed, why won't they also help you with the signature deal? All you really need is a copy of a 1991 Service Guide, which would summarize Federal Express (not FedEx until 1994) delivery policies. The company undoubtedly has these on-file somewhere. Otherwise, just find a former employee whom cannot be touched by the evil forces in Memphis. I know it's dumb, but this is the way the company works.

JK111

Mr. Fed Ex. I see, I did not know you still worked there. Your question about "why won't they also help with the signature deal?" That's the problem. As their legal says, the Service Guide is "silent" on the delivery instructions on signatures and who can receive. Indicated it was intentionally. So of course they can only comment on Service Guide policy and not training policy. Certainly do not want to put you in jeopardy. Do you know a site or some such of former Fed Ex'ers, preferably management? Btw, the case is Hyatt v. FTB. You might find it interesting.

HuckToohey

You are entering a world of pain.
Hi,

Need comments on the Fed Ex delivery in 1991. For an interesting case. Question, would the driver just deliver to any adult? Was there a stylus computer pad in 1991? Would the driver ask for ID?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

JK111

Back then there was no "Resi Release." All package's would have had to be signed for by someone living at the delivery address. I believe the "Signed Signature Service" had been phased out by 1991. And at that time the S.S.S. was the closes thing to Direct Signature Required we have today. The SuperTracker/Delivery Record method was being used. And interpreting a customers scribbled signature was always open to conjecture. I highly doubt any of those delivery record exist. Possibly on microfilm.

HuckToohey

You are entering a world of pain.
Back then there was no "Resi Release." All package's would have had to be signed for by someone living at the delivery address. I believe the "Signed Signature Service" had been phased out by 1991. And at that time the S.S.S. was the closes thing to Direct Signature Required we have today. The SuperTracker/Delivery Record method was being used. And interpreting a customers scribbled signature was always open to conjecture. I highly doubt any of those delivery record exist. Possibly on microfilm.

​Also, it just occurred to me, there was no "Address Bar Code." If memory serves, the address was still being written manually in the "Address Box" portion of the Delivery Record for most residential deliveries. I'm not sure if the SuperTracker address bar code printing capability was activated in '91. If so, it was mainly reserved for daily delivery stops at businesses.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It's been a long time, but didn't they have the release block on the AWB back in 1991?