Need specific advice for my situation

Skinnyfatguy

Thank you in advance to any responses. I am seeing tractor trailer and full time road driver open positions on the site. I have read many of the forums about the differences between Freight and Package.

My question is, how much of a difference as far as pay. I have read the UPSF contract at .72 or so cpm but haven't found that info on UPS contract. 4 year progression for both?

Would I be better off going for the full time road at UPSF or get on as seasonal TT driver at UPS. I am in my 20's running linehaul for a major LTL and I'm happy but I'm thinking long term. I am in central PA with almost 3 years experience with doubles, hazmat, all weather, at night. No accidents. No moving violations or tickets in the past year. Have a 5mph over limit, and 2 minor moving violations over a 3 year period.

Are both divisions pretty much the same starting out? Covering runs, vacations, would I be covering P&D if on the Freight side? I have no intention of driving package car, respectfully, to the guys on here doing it (they are hiring for that too)

I know my long winter beard will have to go, but if I keep it close to the face and neat are there exceptions on the Package side? From reading on here, Freight is a bit more lenient and I have talked to UPSF drivers with full beards. Again, I have no grounds to question the current policy on facial hair. I'm just wondering if I'm gonna have to have a baby smooth face to even be considered.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I would not do a seasonal position. I would wait for a permanent position. They do not have the same appearance standards at freight. Package you must shave. Freight has an inferior contract. They get paid less. I don't know the current milage rate.

Johney

Thank you in advance to any responses. I am seeing tractor trailer and full time road driver open positions on the site. I have read many of the forums about the differences between Freight and Package.

My question is, how much of a difference as far as pay. I have read the UPSF contract at .72 or so cpm but haven't found that info on UPS contract. 4 year progression for both?

Would I be better off going for the full time road at UPSF or get on as seasonal TT driver at UPS. I am in my 20's running linehaul for a major LTL and I'm happy but I'm thinking long term. I am in central PA with almost 3 years experience with doubles, hazmat, all weather, at night. No accidents. No moving violations or tickets in the past year. Have a 5mph over limit, and 2 minor moving violations over a 3 year period.

Are both divisions pretty much the same starting out? Covering runs, vacations, would I be covering P&D if on the Freight side? I have no intention of driving package car, respectfully, to the guys on here doing it (they are hiring for that too)

I know my long winter beard will have to go, but if I keep it close to the face and neat are there exceptions on the Package side? From reading on here, Freight is a bit more lenient and I have talked to UPSF drivers with full beards. Again, I have no grounds to question the current policy on facial hair. I'm just wondering if I'm gonna have to have a baby smooth face to even be considered.
First things first.....you're going to need to know where to buy your socks. Anyone?

Cementups

Box Monkey
@Skinnyfatguy , I am based out of the Harrsiburg HUB(package). We have been bringing a lot of people in off the street who already have CDL's. If you already have your CDL with T endorsements (no hazmat needed on package side) and can get an application in, an on road sup will take you out on a road test and see how you do. If you pass, you will most likely be hired and trained the UPS way.

No facial hair and no visible tattoos. But that's for you to decide if your facial is worth the wage difference. personally, I'll stay clean shaven for $100k/yr. but at the same time I've heard guys who ask me about the job and say friend-that! when I tell them they have to shave. And as far as the tattoos, you can't come in with tattoos on your neck/face and such. You can have them on your arms and legs but if you do you will be required to cover them up (long sleeves/pants). And also no visible piercings.

Keep in mind, If you were to be accepted and make your 30 days, you may be covering routes at any time of day. If there is no driving work to be had you will more than likely be offered work in the HUB. Keep in mind, you are in a pay progression for 4 years as a driver. So you start at something like $18.50/hr and at the end of 4 years would make what ever top rate is for drivers, which right now is over $35/hr. (OT after 8). That being said, if you make your 30 days you would be a full time employee and if forced to work in the HUB would make top inside rate, which is just a little under top driver rate. You actual would make more to work in the HUB than you would to drive your first couple years.

Skinnyfatguy

10-4. It was worth a shot. I have read it is 3 years, 5 years, and none in the past year. Don't know which for sure. Even if it was only 5 over speed limit? Where can I find where it states exactly the hiring requirements? I stated minor because they are just that, no reckless, dui, arrests, never suspended or revoked. Some companies state no major violations etc in a certain time period. But UPS very well may want a completely perfect driving record no matter how small. Thank you for all the responses, drivers, appreciated.

clean hairy

10-4. It was worth a shot. I have read it is 3 years, 5 years, and none in the past year. Don't know which for sure. Even if it was only 5 over speed limit? Where can I find where it states exactly the hiring requirements? I stated minor because they are just that, no reckless, dui, arrests, never suspended or revoked. Some companies state no major violations etc in a certain time period. But UPS very well may want a completely perfect driving record no matter how small. Thank you for all the responses, drivers, appreciated.
No violations means no violations at all, no matter how minor.