New branding!

It will be fine

Legal issues aside, it'd be risky to put that much of the operation in the hands of multiple contractors who are obligated to do absolutely nothing more than to fulfill the minimum requirements of their business agreements with FedEx. We've seen contractors who post here and appear to be stand-up guys who aren't going to do more for FedEx than they have to.

FedEx needs a greater degree of control over things than a contractor model would allow them to have.
What percentage of express volume is only date specific as opposed to time commits? I've always thought it's only the overnight packages that have time commitments.

dmac1

Express had enough trouble finding and keeping good employees, and that's with OT pay, insurance, a week of paid sick time, 2 to 5 weeks of vacation for most employees, 6 paid holidays, 2 personal days, 2 floating holidays, and matching 401k program.

You think you can provide adequate service with the quality of employee you attract by paying significantly less than that. LOL.

Contractors will have to get it done with quantity of drivers if they can't with quality. It will be their contract at risk if they don't. Too bad for them that unemployment has gone way down, leaving mostly the unqualified people unemployed.

It will be fine

All business 2day and express saver are due by 4:30. 8:00 for resi as well as for standard overnight resi.
That's similar to Ground. Our business day ends at 18:00 and the trucks need to be back in by 20:00 to make the unload so res has to be done before then as well. How much daily delivery volume is the 2day and express saver?

MAKAVELI

That's similar to Ground. Our business day ends at 18:00 and the trucks need to be back in by 20:00 to make the unload so res has to be done before then as well. How much daily delivery volume is the 2day and express saver?
It really does vary from route to route and station to station. There's just too many variables to give you a good ballpark figure. The majority of the freight is 2day and express saver. But running cycles to make commit times, two attempts for closed businesses, squeezing in lunch breaks, and on call ( some with one hour windows)and reg pick ups, then jamming back to the station for outbound to make the plane / truck can make a seemingly easy job very difficult and stressful. Rtb times also vary from station to station.
We also have first overnight- typically 8:00 or 10: am various priority time commits based on zip code and standard overnight. Business- either 3:00 or 4:30 depending on zip code. When we say there is too much control needed to make it work, believe us.

Last edited:

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
It really does vary from route to route and station to station. There's just too many variables to give you a good ballpark figure. The majority of the freight is 2day and express saver. But running cycles to make commit times, two attempts for closed businesses, squeezing in lunch breaks, and on call and reg pick ups, then jamming back to the station for outbound to make the plane / truck can make a seemingly easy job very difficult and stressful. Rtb times also vary from station to station.
Good news. I just called @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U a Honkey!!!!!!!!!!!

Gone fishin

Contractors will have to get it done with quantity of drivers if they can't with quality. It will be their contract at risk if they don't. Too bad for them that unemployment has gone way down, leaving mostly the unqualified people unemployed.
Don't forget when dealing with ground freight you have 4 or 5 days. When it's express your talking hours. You better be on point

vantexan

Don't forget when dealing with ground freight you have 4 or 5 days. When it's express your talking hours. You better be on point
I'm still trying to figure out how these folks know with certainty that all of this is going to happen. They don't, and the closest thing FedEx has done to all of this is announce that the Ground green is gone. And yet they extrapolate from that a complete 180 in how FedEx operates. This is just more of the same "sky is falling" rhetoric that's been going on forever here.

Everyone just needs to drink the Kool-aid and bleed purple like when I started almost 32 years ago. Rumors will be around always. At the end of the day no one stops you from leaving and not coming back. Put your adult underwear on and enjoy everyday. Think of all the freedom you have onroad. Trust me. But then again I can feed you a bunch of bs and you would believe that to, you sheep.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Blech, no way theyre going to combine express NDA and ground stuff anytime soon like UPS... as others have painted how different the opcos operate.

Iwbf, didnt know you had a deadline to get back to the building to process those pickups... that's why i rather stay at HD: theyll process my pickups and calltags in the next morning.

I have 2 shirt ~ jacks with all white Fedex embroidered on the top left pocket... these are great in this summer heat

images

I still didnt get those sporty ones with the hige FedEx logo in green n white yet though

RedAngel

A friend of mines from FedEx corparate Send me this,the official re-organization.
She also mention the official cross-OpCo uniforms will surprise many stay tune.
Many more surprises instore for all of us some good some bad and some really stupid.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 136

Exec32

Express had enough trouble finding and keeping good employees, and that's with OT pay, insurance, a week of paid sick time, 2 to 5 weeks of vacation for most employees, 6 paid holidays, 2 personal days, 2 floating holidays, and matching 401k program.

You think you can provide adequate service with the quality of employee you attract by paying significantly less than that. LOL.
Those risks to the contractor are the exact reason why ground service will be second rate compared to UPS. You fail to realize that ground drivers to only risk their job for failing, the contractor $.

Exec32

Th
You hit the nail on the head. Too much money to lose. Even with legal expenses Ground is a cash cow.
That argument is solid, but the margin continues to shrink, and liabilities keep going up, at some point X will decide that it's preservation of its brand and intense scrutiny of its operating arrangements will succumb to on going pressures.
You do know they can still make a LOT of money if they adapt.

Exec32

RPS would simply be doing what Ground is doing now. Same effect.
So there would be RPS, FEDEX AND UPS. Even more downward pressure for shipping cost. The cost of shipping would be much less for the consumer, creating less revenue. BUT, competition among carriers would benefit the worker because these companies would have to compete for the same employee group.
With that scenario each carrier would be paying MORE to operate.

bbsam

Staff member
Those risks to the contractor are the exact reason why ground service will be second rate compared to UPS. You fail to realize that ground drivers to only risk their job for failing, the contractor $.
Second rate? A lot of customers just don't see it that way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Because it is not true. Service levels between Ground and UPS are closer now than ever. Ground beats us on time in transit in many markets.

Ground still has their safety issues but some of things that I see my co-workers do scares the **** out of me.

Exec32

An individual ISP can provide excellent service within what they are capable of controlling, however because the delivery chain is so dependent on different entities increased problems will result.
That is something that reflects on you as the last mile delivery courier.
Those problems can be mitigated quicker with a more efficient, and more unified integrated system, something contracting will struggle with because of command and control issues.
I told the SM all I need from X is :
1 the right box
2 on the right truck
3 with the right address
4 in the right condition
No very difficult right? Yet it is a daily struggle. And often we get blamed for these shortcomings.
I do not believe we are second rate, I believe X puts pressure on us to the extent that it is more likely we become second rate in the eyes of the consumer.

Exec32

Because it is not true. Service levels between Ground and UPS are closer now than ever. Ground beats us on time in transit in many markets.

Ground still has their safety issues but some of things that I see my co-workers do scares the **** out of me.
What measurements are their to compare the 2?
1) DOT accident figures and Data. We have fallen behind.
2) Last year's peak season numbers. We lost
3) Resolving complaints. It takes at least 3 departments and multiple people to get you a complaint or address a customer request. Doubt that is the case at UPS.
4) OVERALL fleet, do I really need to go there (appearance)