New CDL Grads/What Can Brown Do For You?

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Hello Everyone:

I'm a soon to be CDL graduate from the trucking program... Blah blah
Is this in any way true and how do I find out the what the facts really are?

-Thank You.
Yes.

The answer davo is yes.

Yes there are many ways laid right in front of you to gain answers to the questions you have.

The first way is to ask those who it directly relates to...

Not the interwebs.

Whomever you are in correspondence with about the job will be better tasked at providing information involving employment.

But...

If that fails...

You come on back here and we'll definitely get you squared away.

On topic and helping.

Davo53209

As a feeder driver out of Oak Creek, WI I can tell you this much:
- Our current MRA pay is $27/hr through Jan 15, 2022. If they don’t continue MRA pay after that, starting pay for the first year is $21/hr.
Progression pay rates are:
Start: $21
12 months: $23
24 months: $24
36 months: $28.75
48 months: Top rate
- The $38/hr is for temporary, SEASONAL positions which will end on Jan 15, 2022.
- Yes, where you would start is an on-call position. It’ll probably take over 1 year to be on a dedicated continuous schedule. Maybe 2 years.
- If you are on-call and not driving due to not enough work, you are able to bump into working inside the hub but you will make $16/hr.

If you’re smart and look at everything else UPS has to offer in their compensation and benefits package. A lot of young people like to only look at the dollar amount they take home. They play the short game instead of the long/career game.

After 30 days, you’re eligible for medical benefits. Assuming you’re a younger person, maybe that’s something that isn’t all that important to you because you have your health currently. But you may not always, and health care premiums are only going to go up from here. And if you have a family, you can easily pay $1000/month for decent healthcare premiums.

Retirement benefits. You’ll be eligible for a pension which most employers don’t offer. After 25 years, you could choose to walk away with a monthly pension for $2000/2500 (pending your age). Or stick around to 35+ years and the monthly pension increases to $4000+.

If you’re only in it for the almighty dollar, go work somewhere else. You’ll be able to make your $80-100k your first year there.

But you do you, bud.
Does UPS offer a 401k plan in addition to a pension? I'm 50yrs. old and in great physical shape; but I'm not sure if I could benefit from a pension with roughly 17yrs to work under my belt.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Does UPS offer a 401k plan in addition to a pension? I'm 50yrs. old and in great physical shape; but I'm not sure if I could benefit from a pension with roughly 17yrs to work under my belt.
There is a 401k offered by the teamsters but no match. Its probably irrelevant. You wont make more money anywhere else in Milwaukee. Especially with no experience.

I started in 2019 in my late 40’s, According to the retirement calculator on the UPS’er site, doing 20 years along with my age should get me roughly a $3100 a month pension.

Sharky

A Wannabe
I’m in a similar situation. 47 yo, CDL A driver. Are most of the sleeper jobs at CACH? I live in MA, would prefer to stay here than uproot to IL.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I’m in a similar situation. 47 yo, CDL A driver. Are most of the sleeper jobs at CACH? I live in MA, would prefer to stay here than uproot to IL.
They have sleeper teams in Chema , if you're in local 25 and have enough seniority, you can bid on one of those !

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It's a good time to get in right now at ups oak creek. They are hiring 40 drivers for team runs. They can't find enough drivers to work at CACH so they are creating positions in the surrounding areas. If you are willing to go over the road 5 days a week it is a no brainer. After a year or 2 you would have enough seniority for steady local work.
It's a good time to get in right now at ups oak creek. They are hiring 40 drivers for team runs. They can't find enough drivers to work at CACH so they are creating positions in the surrounding areas. If you are willing to go over the road 5 days a week it is a no brainer. After a year or 2 you would have enough seniority for steady local work.
Are they having any luck getting folks from pkg to go into feeder???

Hello Everyone:

I'm a soon to be CDL graduate from the trucking program at Milwaukee Area Technical College and based on what I've been told, one of our CDL instructors may have good intentions; but my gut tells me that he might only have a part of the story.

According to the other forums that I've read (i.e. Thetruckersreport.com), new hires at UPS are usually put onto a four year, on-call progression before making the top rate; but according to my instructor, the union at the Oak Creek hub is making an exception, due to the driver shortage. From what he's told me, the hub in Oak Creek WI, is hiring new CDL grads, full-time as feeder drivers and starting them out at $38/hr.

-Thank You.
Hello Everyone:
I'm a soon to be CDL graduate from the trucking program at Milwaukee Area Technical College and based on what I've been told, one of our CDL instructors may have good intentions; but my gut tells me that he might only have a part of the story.

According to the other forums that I've read (i.e. Thetruckersreport.com), new hires at UPS are usually put onto a four year, on-call progression before making the top rate; but according to my instructor, the union at the Oak Creek hub is making an exception, due to the driver shortage. From what he's told me, the hub in Oak Creek WI, is hiring new CDL grads, full-time as feeder drivers and starting them out at $38/hr.

-Thank You.
not sure about $38. I was told by the feeder sup they are boosting starting wage because they can’t get anyone at $23 a hour.

Last edited: