New Cell Phone Policy

outta hours

No new policy. All negotiated language has been in place since 12/19/07 until 7/31/2013. It's under article 18 sec.8. No changes contractually. File under article 6 if they tell you otherwise. Only exception would be if your local or state law changed regarding use of cell phones. Then it is possible.

CRASH501

Sup said theres a new cell phone policy but didnt go into detail...Anyone have any info on this?
due to the high volume of theft there have been multiple things implimented .
1 - loaders , sorters , oms....NO CELL PHONES , I-PODS, PSP'S ECT. IN THE BUILDING either leave it in the lockers prior to ebtry or in your car
2 - drivers have been asked to power up their phones if they were off upon leaving the building so security can see the phone go on . ( in my oppinion this one is a joke unless the phone being showed on the way out of the building has missing parts.)
3 - talks of issuing a permanent pass ( a small sticker on your phone ) to keep the clean in - clean out policy in effect . this should have always been done as it is in larger hubs like San Francisco ( due to them being based at the airport ).
but this was early in 2009 , not sure what is going on now

companal2

HR Supv
There's been so much theft of cell phones and small electronics lately that Security and the Company have to do someone! We lost the Cingular/AT&T account in the past and we can lose it again if cell phones keep walking out of the building. Security has been using stickers on cell phones for years in my district and that still doesn't fix the problem. Theft is higher than ever.

SoyFish

"1 - loaders , sorters , oms....NO CELL PHONES , I-PODS, PSP'S ECT. IN THE BUILDING either leave it in the lockers prior to ebtry or in your car"

That'll be the day...It's amazing how many people bring their phones in...IMO it's more of a hassle to have that sucker in your pocket when your trying to load all them boxes.

RogerThat

Operations Supervisor
I recently had to put my foot down with the whole cell phone issue. I'm tired of seeing inside employees using their cell phones during the sort. Not only is it because of the issue with theft, but its the fact that people are not paid to bring their social lives to work. People are paid to service the packages, and its hard to focus on the task at hand when your texting your girlfriend/boyfriend. It also slows productivity. Most of my senior employees haven't been a problem with cell phones. Mostly newbies. I personally believe that if you are performing a physically related job at UPS... the cell phone should be put away. I think most people would agree.

Nitelite

recently had to put my foot down with the whole cell phone issue. I'm tired of seeing inside employees using their cell phones during the sort. Not only is it because of the issue with theft, but its the fact that people are not paid to bring their social lives to work. People are paid to service the packages, and its hard to focus on the task at hand when your texting your girlfriend/boyfriend. It also slows productivity. Most of my senior employees haven't been a problem with cell phones. Mostly newbies. I personally believe that if you are performing a physically related job at UPS... the cell phone should be put away. I think most people would agree.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Seriously. Yea, you are not paid to text and talk all day long but there are situations where it doesn't impact production at all or 2, the reason for the call/text is something far more important than moving a few packages. Get off your high horse. Supes in my area allow it as long as area is clean and there is little or no flow coming. Seems fair to me.

Oh yea, I don't own a cell phone.

RogerThat

Operations Supervisor
If it is an emergency than by all means. However, I won't have an employee talk or text on a cell phone while he or she is on the clock. It sounds like the sups in your area are scared of their people because apparently the hourlies are doing whatever they want. Sure let the hourlies use cell phones when the flow is light. If thats the case, I feel bad for your operation. There is always work to be done. They should be moved to another load or belt that is in trouble or taken off the clock. No excuse for it.

P.S.
Guess what.. this high horse that im on is called my job. Its to make sure that the lousy 5% of employees who don't care do what needs to be done.

over9five

Staff member
I gotta agree with RogerThat. UPS is paying us to work, not talk and certainly not text.

I am against the idea of banning phones in the building. (This company will never live down its past reputation of not informing people when their wives were going into labor, or when someone died). But if you answer that phone when you're supposed to be working, there better be a good reason, and it shouldn't happen every day or even every month.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
We are required to register our phones with L.P. They then put a sticker on the phone.

If the company didn't allow me to have my cell phone it would be more of an inconvenience to them than it would be to me.

Jim Kemp

We are required to register our phones with L.P. They then put a sticker on the phone.

If the company didn't allow me to have my cell phone it would be more of an inconvenience to them than it would be to me.

We had a feeder driver coming to work one day and when he passed through the guard shack the guard wanted to put a sticker on his phone.
The feeder driver said he didn't want one. He turned around and headed back to his car. A sup. that was there asked where he was going.
He told them he would just not take his phone and would leave it in his car. The sup. asked him what he would do if his feeder broke down out on the hwy. The driver said "That will be your problem and I will sit out on the road until you figure it out".
The sup. told the guard he didn't need to put a sticker on his phone and he could bring it in.

So, It will inconvenience them more than you and they know it.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
We had a feeder driver coming to work one day and when he passed through the guard shack the guard wanted to put a sticker on his phone.
The feeder driver said he didn't want one. He turned around and headed back to his car. A sup. that was there asked where he was going.
He told them he would just not take his phone and would leave it in his car. The sup. asked him what he would do if his feeder broke down out on the hwy. The driver said "That will be your problem and I will sit out on the road until you figure it out".
The sup. told the guard he didn't need to put a sticker on his phone and he could bring it in.

So, It will inconvenience them more than you and they know it.
dats funny.

My building did do the sticker thing about 5 years ago. Not sure if anyone is paying attention to the stickers at this point. I went out of my way to get one and had it inside the back cover of my phone but that was 2 phones ago and at this point due to the egotistical reception I got from LP when I inquired about the sticker I won't go out of my way to keep getting new stickers. Anyone can look at my phone and by seeing how beat up it is would know it wasn't just plundered out of a package. Making the money that I make, If I wanted a new phone I would buy it not steal it.

Cezanne

I recently had to put my foot down with the whole cell phone issue. I'm tired of seeing inside employees using their cell phones during the sort. Not only is it because of the issue with theft, but its the fact that people are not paid to bring their social lives to work. People are paid to service the packages, and its hard to focus on the task at hand when your texting your girlfriend/boyfriend. It also slows productivity. Most of my senior employees haven't been a problem with cell phones. Mostly newbies. I personally believe that if you are performing a physically related job at UPS... the cell phone should be put away. I think most people would agree.
One of the funniest observations I had last peak was a young part-timer pulling a load of package with a pallet jack with one hand and talking on a cell phone with the other. Got to love it...:happy-very:

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Talked to my sup today and he said someone on the primary sort aisle was talking on their cell phone and a sup confronted them about it and words were exchanged..they were gonna walk him to the gate for stealing time...Heres the kicker..my sup said he'd get his job back even if it was stealing time..lol

RogerThat

Operations Supervisor
He is talking about inside employees. Inside employees have no need to be on a cell phone at any time during the sort unless there is an emergency. You are in package and while your sup could just as easily contact you on the DIAD, it may be easier to use the cell phone (then again UPS doesn't pay your bill).

Your job can include work related cell phone usage if you so choose. Its really all preference. I know some driver's like to call their customers when they have difficulties delivering a package, but then again some don't. They don't want 10:30 pm phone calls from some angry old lady wanting to know where her package is at.