New day for Orion

BrownBlue

New Jack
If it's not safe, like having me cross busy road for no reason or have me dig through shelves not in my power zone, then I wont follow it. Until it's safe I'm doing RDO which is near perfect on my route. Safety trumps all.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I ran mine 100 % today, no matter how assinine. I was 180 late yesterday and 17miles over at 95%. I was 100% today and 16 over, and probably 3 hrs late.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Orion is a software that is designed to reduced miles correct? I believe it's still up to the driver on what to decide...

The problem is that your decisions are scrutinized the next day.
Much like anything the Atlanta braintrust thinks of, it's set up to blame the driver not management.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
My random musings of Orion :

A) My stop count has always been dead on. It would say 150 at 830am, at 630pm I'd have 150. The last week I've noticed that my stops were off by 3-4. I finally realized that instead of displaying the stop count of RDO, they slickly changed it to the ODO stop count.
Two problems for drivers:
1. Your stop count range stays the same
2. If the mighty Orion wants you to deliver a resi ground stop buried in your truck with the same addressed air but can't get it, it is counting as one stop even though you have to deliver the ground later. A sneaky way they can get more stops on your truck.

B) I still can't get over the fact that the Orion numbers will never add up EVER. My truck goes 6 miles/gal. At the most expensive gas station around here, gas is 2.50. Every FT driver pretty much ends their day collecting some amount of OT (50.49/hr)

Even if I run my route and end up 6 miles over, It's $2.50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT'S 3 MINUTES OF FT UPS DRIVER OT............... 3 MINUTES
These baboons spent 10's of millions of dollars on a system that MIGHT save an equivalent amount of 3 minutes overtime. They always seem determined to make technology that doesn't help the driver, only make him work harder.

Next time you get pulled aside by the boss, hit him with facts he won't get by drinking the kool-aid !!!

giphy.gif

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And they will ask me why. The guy who ran my route at 95% last week, my boss said I will have to ask him why..why he was 23 miles over.......I said No he should ask you why. Face it dude, it works on some routes, others are way off. Maybe its the guy that did it, (the orion man) dont always blame us. Either way I make the same, so I will just do what it tells me, because as some smart soul on here said. I know what 100 is I dont know how to do 85.

Last edited:

jaker

trolling
I follow it 100% and go as far as to take 20 min for a stop to get to the 8000 shelf and load it all back and drive around the corner and do it again

I don't care what they say or try to tell me not to do it , because you want 100 I will give you 100

OPTION3

The Orion people will still try to find a loophole saying it was someone else's fault. My on car, no joke, worked almost 80 hours last week, almost exclusively to try and fix the Orion screw ups (because you know, God forbid the Orion people work past 5) and they still don't think anything is wrong. It's asinine.
Uh-oh.....trouble in Paradise?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
And they will ask me why. The guy who ran my route at 95% last week, my boss said I will have to ask him why..why he was 23 miles over.......I said No he should ask you why. Face it dude, it works on some routes, others are way off. Maybe its the guy that did it, (the orion man) dont always blame us. Either way I make the same, so I will just do what it tells me, because as some smart soul on here said. I know what 100 is I dont know how to do 85.

toonertoo good post...if some one jacked it up (the Orion man) because he truly does not have area knowledge (this is still a big factor) then it will always seem jacked up. Your ORS or PDS needs to learn how to fix it in the (name escapes me right now) computer. Your PDS usually has not changed EDD its just the Orion Solution. Its like back in the day where sups and managers walked the belt and could adjust your load/stop count etc etc..now the sup can adjust your Orion to have your day make sense. Will they get everything right nope, but they sure can make it make sense. We now have Orion and I have been working with the Orion Team and my team to make sure we are not getting screwed once they leave.

You would be amazed all the things you can set up Orion to do.

1) have those business that you should go right instead going across a road and making a left and still reduce miles..there is a way to fix that.
2) have two entrances to business, want to have a choice to which one you come in, there is a way to fix that.

The list goes on and on. My center is not perfect same grumbling, but we are working on making Orion better.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
toonertoo good post...if some one jacked it up (the Orion man) because he truly does not have area knowledge (this is still a big factor) then it will always seem jacked up. Your ORS or PDS needs to learn how to fix it in the (name escapes me right now) computer. Your PDS usually has not changed EDD its just the Orion Solution. Its like back in the day where sups and managers walked the belt and could adjust your load/stop count etc etc..now the sup can adjust your Orion to have your day make sense. Will they get everything right nope, but they sure can make it make sense. We now have Orion and I have been working with the Orion Team and my team to make sure we are not getting screwed once they leave.

1) have those business that you should go right instead going across a road and making a left and still reduce miles..there is a way to fix that.
2) have two entrances to business, want to have a choice to which one you come in, there is a way to fix that.

The list goes on and on. My center is not perfect same grumbling, but we are working on making Orion better.
Exactly the reason behind forcing 100% compliance. They are forcing the centers to fix it.

It cannot be fixed if nobody is running it. UPS will take the hit on it now hoping that the center manager's get it fixed.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I work real hard to make service. But sometimes in order to do that my Orion will take a mathmetician to make it go back together. With a little help, it could be fixed. Instead of just the constant whooping, when my center manager, my sup,( all who have been on car) to see what is wrong, and 3 other drivers who have gotten whooped, say it is wrong. So I just break for service and I go back and follow it, 100%. No matter how stupid it is. Today was a walk in the park with only 200 pieces. It was like a dream, first time in 8 months of orion. But I would bet my last dollar, I made the trace, missed the miles, but I was on trace... made the sporh, and I will still get bitched at for something i cannot control. The miles. Heck if I could have made the miles I woulda been scratch.....Only If I had a tricked out funny car, turn around on a dime.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

You do know back in the day when the sups walked around with a clipboard and checked stop counts.......I was a sup then. And never having been a driver, I added some time for bulk, cods, heavyweights, Oh wait we didnt have those then....Now its just stops. Good lord. You have to look at bulk to get a true idea of the day.

andrsnbkj

The problem is that your decisions are scrutinized the next day.
Much like anything the Atlanta braintrust thinks of, it's set up to blame the driver not management.[/QUOTE
There is never a win win they blame us for everything, your not performing when you are following orion stop for stop, then they tell us follow orion what about next day airs they simply don't care well I know my route I can only get 32 stops done by 1200 and orion has it at in the low to mid 40s this system sucks ass

Boulevard859710

You do know back in the day when the sups walked around with a clipboard and checked stop counts.......I was a sup then. And never having been a driver, I added some time for bulk, cods, heavyweights, Oh wait we didnt have those then....Now its just stops. Good lord. You have to look at bulk to get a true idea of the day.
Depends on what type of bulk. Is it a dock stop or is something that has to be carted in with multiple trips?