New DOT physical rules

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
do doctors and nurses have hours of service regulations? what about cops who carry guns? how about anyone who drives a motor vehicle.

i agree that commercial drivers should be healthy and well rested but how about everyone else we have to share the road with or people that we put trust our lives to.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I just assumed a dot card was a prerequisite to drive, company wide. All commercial vehicles, not just 24', which I rarely drive.

oldngray

nowhere special
Is there a situation where there is a DOT (heath?) card where there is no CDL?

Yep. That was my situation. Originally the package drivers here needed a chauffeurs license but those were no longer issued. After that you just needed a regular drivers license but still needed a DOT card.

Edd Orion

do doctors and nurses have hours of service regulations? what about cops who carry guns? how about anyone who drives a motor vehicle.

i agree that commercial drivers should be healthy and well rested but how about everyone else we have to share the road with or people that we put trust our lives to.
Yes... My cousin drives an ambulance and works 24 hour shifts... That's crazy

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Yep. That was my situation. Originally the package drivers here needed a chauffeurs license but those were no longer issued. After that you just needed a regular drivers license but still needed a DOT card.
I never hear my drivers talking about DOT cards here or their subsequent expiration and renewal.

Johney

the good thing about this is that it is going to weed out a lot of unhealthy drivers nationwide and cause a bigger qualified driver shortage more than it already is. the dot physical is only going to become more strict so better get used to it.

this will drive up wages for everyone including union drivers. around here union drivers average almost double wages compared to non union.
What's likely to happen is the same as the DOT HOS. They became hard to do so they got changed. I suspect the same will happen here.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The counter where the DVIRs get turned in is much more popular. It's easy to lean on while they BS back and forth about how hard they worked today.:biggrin: