New DOT Regulations

M

MenInBrown

What do you think about the new DOT regulation on a 30 minute break before 8 hrs of work? Any idea if this will stay or not?

kingOFchester

Here is the funny thing about this 30 minute mandated break. My center is a bonus center and a lot of drivers are still not taking any of their lunch. They put in 1 hour, but they do not stop working.

The law was made do to the fact it is proven that a 30 minute rest during an 8 hour shift significantly reduces the risk of an accident.

Now, remember don't back, because safety is priority one at Big Brown.

How long until there is a lawsuit do to someone falsifying records and UPS allowing it?

over9five

Staff member
It has definitely made dispatch's job a lot harder. It's not the first 30 minute break that's a problem. It's the second that will put you over 14.

over9five

Staff member
I think you are wrong, from what research I did late last year when this came across my radar, it does apply to package cars. Will redo my research.

Agreed. It has nothing to do with CDLs. If anything would get a package driver out of the rules, it would be the registered weight of the package car (PLUS the TP-60 if you tow one). If your single or combined weight is 10,000 or under, maybe that would exempt you.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
There is a story going around of a package car driver in KY already getting hit with a fine. Came from our safety chair and I rarely believe him. Anyone else heard this? Our safety chair tried to convince us that the cell phone law applied to us when of didn't so i don't trust him with this stuff.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Agreed. It has nothing to do with CDLs. If anything would get a package driver out of the rules, it would be the registered weight of the package car (PLUS the TP-60 if you tow one). If your single or combined weight is 10,000 or under, maybe that would exempt you.

The FMCSA has said, they wouldn't regulate package cars unless they cross state lines.

Also.... package cars drivers aren't required to have a DOT medical card.... UPS requires it, because they are self insured.

-Bug-

over9five

Staff member
The FMCSA has said, they wouldn't regulate package cars unless they cross state lines.

Also.... package cars drivers aren't required to have a DOT medical card.... UPS requires it, because they are self insured.

-Bug-

​Would like to see that on their website, can you link it?

-Bug-

Few feeders in our local cross state lines. Still applies.

Commercial vehicles. Gross weight. Hours of service. That's all you need to know.