NEW DRIVER- DAY 20- NEED ADVICE

Methods Man

If they do DQ me tomorrow do I tell them about my ankle or still no? I feel like my nerves are shot but I’m just going to have to wait and see I guess.

Only you can make that decision on how bad the pain feels. I’d recommend keeping your mouth shut if you are still in the process of qualifying, but nobody is going to look down apon you if you did. Even if you get DQ’d for getting hurt for CYA

WTFm8

Organize during lunch and break.

Keep note of what the plan on the computer says your first stop time is bs actual. They like to falsify that and you start the day 15-20 min behind.

Keep note of any missloads they make you deliver.

Keep note of load quality. If it’s anything like the 2 buildings I’ve worked in, it’s probably trash.

35years

Gravy route
To make it do the following, but never after making it:

1.Come in an hour early. Set up your shelves in perfect pal order. All pals visible (pals up and out)

2. Set up your floor. Bulk on the floor will slow you faster than anything. Get as much as possible up on the shelves. Group bulk by stop in piles with labels and pals visible. Have a plan how you will clear enough bulk out early, on your NDA run if possible. Your goal should be able to walk through the middle asap. Place delivery notes (with bulk add written on it) on the shelves where your bulk fits in.

3. Don't over service your customers. Supervisors will overlook bad DRs if your production is good. Every business del just inside the door. Every resi to front step, unless the customer is there, then just drop on the ground wave and go back to the truck. You have to be almost rude in denying special requests by customers. Emphasize you are trying to qualify as a driver and dont have a second to spare during your qualification period.

4.Sort on your break. Move boxes to the front of shelves if you sorted it all before start time. Bring your lunch and eat while you sort. Make sure you enter break as soon as you stop to when you start up again. If you have a long delay waiting for a customer or say unloading and 2 wheeling the boxes code as break until you scan boxes.

5. Make sure you enter your over 70 lbs pick up pieces in DIAD. Dont lie, it is easily traceable. Getting signatures gives you more time allowance, worth it if customer is all ready to sign.

6. Punch out as quickly as possible in the evening. Typically you are allowed 10 min from return to bldg to punch out. Get out of the bldg asap in the morning.

7. Make sure you have all supplies, DR notes, pens, warm clothes etc. Before work. Being prepared will save you time.

8. Study the monitor/route preview before work. Figure out all time commits and which stops cause problems. Figure out the entire day and the best way to run it before your shift.

9. Call your COD customers before your shift with the check amount they need to fill out before you get there.

Once you make it do none of this stuff. You are paid by the hour. You are not a slave so dont work for free.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

1. Nope.

2. Let the loader do his/her job----stay out of their way while they are working.

3. Uh.....no. Are you seriously telling this kid to not hand the package to the homeowner but rather to "just drop on the ground and wave on your way back to the truck"? While I do agree that businesses tend to take advantage of the newbies, suggesting that he deliver the packages just inside the door rather than to their designated delivery location is bad advice.

4. This is good advice-----using your meal break to set up your car for the afternoon will save quite a bit of time.

5. Nope and nope. The Over 70 credit is negligible and CIR has all but eliminated the need for commercial signatures.

6. Absolutely; however, fight the urge to punch out just as you are entering the property and absolutely do not punch out while on your way back to the center. This may not seem like a big deal and most likely would not be until you get in to an accident while off the clock.

7. Yuppers.

8. Yuppers.

9. Nope. Invariably you will have those customers who write down the info but don't want to write the check(s) until they actually see the package(s). I had one particular COD customer who was slow to write checks so I would write down all of her COD's, give her the list, deliver the adjacent stops and by the time I got to hers she had all of the checks ready to go.

All of this is moot if the kids wakes up this morning and cannot put any pressure on that ankle.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I’m hearing so much now about drivers being DQd for not making scratch. I’ve never heard of this until recently. I don’t think I ever made scratch during my initial 30 days. The numbers are bs anyways, change everyday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I’m hearing so much now about drivers being DQd for not making scratch. I’ve never heard of this until recently. I don’t think I ever made scratch during my initial 30 days. The numbers are bs anyways, change everyday.

This has been the norm since I started way back in 1989. You didn't have to technically scratch but you did have to demonstrate continued improvement throughout your 30 days while taking care of your customers.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
To make it do the following, but never after making it:

1.Come in an hour early. Set up your shelves in perfect pal order. All pals visible (pals up and out)

2. Set up your floor. Bulk on the floor will slow you faster than anything. Get as much as possible up on the shelves. Group bulk by stop in piles with labels and pals visible. Have a plan how you will clear enough bulk out early, on your NDA run if possible. Your goal should be able to walk through the middle asap. Place delivery notes (with bulk add written on it) on the shelves where your bulk fits in.

3. Don't over service your customers. Supervisors will overlook bad DRs if your production is good. Every business del just inside the door. Every resi to front step, unless the customer is there, then just drop on the ground wave and go back to the truck. You have to be almost rude in denying special requests by customers. Emphasize you are trying to qualify as a driver and dont have a second to spare during your qualification period.

4.Sort on your break. Move boxes to the front of shelves if you sorted it all before start time. Bring your lunch and eat while you sort. Make sure you enter break as soon as you stop to when you start up again. If you have a long delay waiting for a customer or say unloading and 2 wheeling the boxes code as break until you scan boxes.

5. Make sure you enter your over 70 lbs pick up pieces in DIAD. Dont lie, it is easily traceable. Getting signatures gives you more time allowance, worth it if customer is all ready to sign.

6. Punch out as quickly as possible in the evening. Typically you are allowed 10 min from return to bldg to punch out. Get out of the bldg asap in the morning.

7. Make sure you have all supplies, DR notes, pens, warm clothes etc. Before work. Being prepared will save you time.

8. Study the monitor/route preview before work. Figure out all time commits and which stops cause problems. Figure out the entire day and the best way to run it before your shift.

9. Call your COD customers before your shift with the check amount they need to fill out before you get there.

Once you make it do none of this stuff. You are paid by the hour. You are not a slave so dont work for free.

Don’t forget a 6 pack of monsters or Red Bull and a fresh pack of smokes

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
it is illegal to fire someone for getting injured and filing a claim. They can however fire you afterwards and use another excuse.

If he's an inside hire trying to qualify, they don't even have to pretend to find another reason.
No firing. Just demoted back to PT grunt work for the next year.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If he's an inside hire trying to qualify, they don't even have to pretend to find another reason.
No firing. Just demoted back to PT grunt work for the next year.
You cannot legally be, at least in most states, demoted due to a work injury. That is discriminating. The issue would be that they did not qualify yet, so there is nothing to demote from, which is legit. However that would still likely be touchy ground in a worker comp setting, or maybe even civil

Heavy Package

Good God -With MapNav now this job is becoming so easy a brain-dead monkey could do it. Overheard a worthless seasonal driver this morning say if their mapnav died they would just pull over and quit during peak.

Snack

I never scratched 5 days in a row, and I qualified. Don’t hit anything, don’t have late airs, and don’t have missed pickups. If they think you can handle the job, they will qualify you.

At my building we're told we just have to run scratch 5 times, it doesn't matter if it's in a row. Don't miss a pickup,don't misdeliver, and don't do anything brash. A girl got her packet sent in and she only ran scratch 5 times exactly, it wasn't in a row.

35years

Gravy route
At my building we're told we just have to run scratch 5 times, it doesn't matter if it's in a row. Don't miss a pickup,don't misdeliver, and don't do anything brash. A girl got her packet sent in and she only ran scratch 5 times exactly, it wasn't in a row.
"Girls" have a lower bar to qualify.