NEW DRIVER- DAY 20- NEED ADVICE

Heavy Package

If you're following what the map is telling you than your trace should reflect that and be in the higher range.
I've seen/heard (on here and IRL) quite a few drivers mentioning how trace isn't important anymore. Don't fall for that.
Sure, upper management isn't pushing it as hard as it has but it's still a topic on calls. Should be relaxed during peak though, of course.

You are nothing but a management shill to me. I love leaving the building in the morning and getting as far away from that dirty rat infested hub and out into the real world as fast as I can. And most of the rats running around in the hub are wearing cheap rayon polo shirts.

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-15_19-57-20.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-15_19-57-20.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 110

dysphunktion

A decent sup
You are nothing but a management shill to me. I love leaving the building in the morning and getting as far away from that dirty rat infested hub and out into the real world as fast as I can. And most of the rats running around in the hub are wearing cheap rayon polo shirts.

No worries man. You do you. I'll stick to being with my drivers.

Poop Head

Judge me.
What is this “mapnav” and “Orion” everyone keeps talking about? Have I mentioned they don’t exist on my center? EDD. Every Damn Day.
If I could transfer out of my local, I'd go to a center without orion
STORY TIME!
I have two drivers that love to come in a little early to BS before hell begins. I usually get to hear about the really "wtf" things Orion has them do. I usually just nod and tell them that it should be fixed with the next update, etc.
So I had to go help a PDS at another center and what do you know, that same driver was due for his ride along! Shucks! :P So I get an on road to come do it and the driver showed him some of the funky orion adventures. On road tells
him that he'll work on it for him if I can't get to it. Well pump those brakes Mr On Road, you will do no such :censored2:ing thing. I'll handle this. So anyway, I let the driver know that I really could have fixed it not long after we initially got it. BUT, the way the route is now, with a reasonable amount of over allowed, he averages 9.5+ hours, every day. But if I go and fix it, guess what? I'll have to add quite a few more stops to make up for the optimization it does. I've already tried it. It knocks nearly 2 hours out and we hover too close to a flat 8.

So I hear ya man. I'd love to be able to do this for all my drivers but alas, I am still management and the numbers are the numbers. But in the end, my drivers are happy and not dreading this peak so win win.
Sounds like a lot of hoopla for everyone.
So, who's the guy that made the call to get rid of RDO view completely? I want him as my helper this year.

dysphunktion

A decent sup
If I could transfer out of my local, I'd go to a center without orion

Sounds like a lot of hoopla for everyone.
So, who's the guy that made the call to get rid of RDO view completely? I want him as my helper this year.

It was a group on the PFT team actually. Or so they say anyway. This forced mapnav :censored2: is kinda good. It's going to initially show you who the decent PDS are. Most of the time it's going to be drivers looking at their screen like "....the :censored2:?" x200 stops. :censored2: we've been hounding them to get ahead of before the cradles went in and all that. But :censored2: me, I guess clicking that mouse and moving some snaps is hard stuff.

Poop Head

Judge me.
It was a group on the PFT team actually. Or so they say anyway. This forced mapnav :censored2: is kinda good. It's going to initially show you who the decent PDS are. Most of the time it's going to be drivers looking at their screen like "....the :censored2:?" x200 stops. :censored2: we've been hounding them to get ahead of before the cradles went in and all that. But :censored2: me, I guess clicking that mouse and moving some snaps is hard stuff.
Why not just leave rdo? Nothing will ever be faster or more efficient than a driver with intimate area knowledge.

dysphunktion

A decent sup
Why not just leave rdo? Nothing will ever be faster or more efficient than a driver with intimate area knowledge.

But but...ORION!
I know most people consider it a bad joke. But when it works as intended, it does what they want it to. Give you more stops, with less miles and in less time! So...more work for you guys, essentially. Anything to get them those happy quarter earnings!

Utility81

Using map nav is currently the most important job you have to do, around here at least. Management isn't concerned about getting me out of the building less than 30 minutes after start time, nor the terrible dispatches, but God forbid I hit only 65% on nav usage, then they need to tell me I need to make sure the maps work.
I wrote it up that it wasn’t working(bc sup was crying my percentage was down). The shop said everything was hooked up ok and they have nothing to do with mapnav as the diad is charging fine.

So from what others have told me, now I know it’s the connection from the diad charging points to the cradle. I’ll spit on them and wipe it and it will work for a stop or two then quit. Now I’ll use WD 40 and that seems to do the trick. Maybe the WD will cause a fire and I won’t have to worry about a cradle or a metric anymore :P

dysphunktion

A decent sup
I wrote it up that it wasn’t working(bc sup was crying my percentage was down). The shop said everything was hooked up ok and they have nothing to do with mapnav as the diad is charging fine.

So from what others have told me, now I know it’s the connection from the diad charging points to the cradle. I’ll spit on them and wipe it and it will work for a stop or two then quit. Now I’ll use WD 40 and that seems to do the trick. Maybe the WD will cause a fire and I won’t have to worry about a cradle or a metric anymore :P

*takes notes*

dysphunktion

A decent sup
Not at all. The Orion guy came back to my center for a farewell tour. He “fixed” mine and it’s still garbage.

...really? The PDS couldn't do it? Man. I'm really starting to lose my faith in my fellow rockstar sups.

Is it the usual :censored2: like...next stop is 100 Main, nav takes you to...not 100 main? Or passing a stop 13 times before deciding, ok...NOW I'll do it?

Utility81

...really? The PDS couldn't do it? Man. I'm really starting to lose my faith in my fellow rockstar sups.

Is it the usual :censored2: like...next stop is 100 Main, nav takes you to...not 100 main? Or passing a stop 13 times before deciding, ok...NOW I'll do it?
Not really sups fault as they are following a metric like I am. It’s similar to dispatch. Puts a blind fold on. Throws a dart at a dartboard with a map taped on. Let’s go there next. Yeah I can’t believe it either.

35years

Gravy route
But but...ORION!
I know most people consider it a bad joke. But when it works as intended, it does what they want it to. Give you more stops, with less miles and in less time! So...more work for you guys, essentially. Anything to get them those happy quarter earnings!

So tell me....

I am hearing things....

Any truth to the idea that the push for map nav/cradle use is because map nav has the ability to override the driver's selection for the next stop (carrot down to selected stop can be overridden so map nav goes to a computer or manager selected stop/not the drivers selection)?

If this is the case get ready for mega miles. Orion added miles. Removing RDO added miles. Taking away driver discretion will always add miles.

Removing driver control over map nav will have the same result. Drivers deal with the reality of the entire delivery sequence situation, ORION is incapable of doing so.

Not sure if the longterm goal is trying to eliminate the need for driver experience to eventually use a low cost work force or make it possible for an automated workforce.

Either way....NO, I wont fix your ORION to make my knowledge worthless!

dysphunktion

A decent sup
Not really sups fault as they are following a metric like I am. It’s similar to dispatch. Puts a blind fold on. Throws a dart at a dartboard with a map taped on. Let’s go there next. Yeah I can’t believe it either.

Well, the lowest supervisor in UPS is a PTPDS, if I recall correctly. And they have the ability to fix nav issues. It's really not that hard. But for the last few months, they haven't really been tracking that aspect, so it goes ignored.
Centers with literally thousands of "bad snaps" can absolutely destroy a route. A single bad snap can take your 67 mile route downtown to a three hundred mile adventure to the next county. And yes, a driver said :censored2: it, they tell me to follow trace, lets follow trace. It was...hilarious. He got the usual "We pay you good money to make smart decisions" but what could they do...lol.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Not sure if the longterm goal is trying to eliminate the need for driver experience to eventually use a low cost work force or make it possible for an automated workforce.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Automatics. GPS. Beards. You do the math...

Last edited:

dysphunktion

A decent sup
So tell me....

I am hearing things....

Any truth to the idea that the push for map nav/cradle use is because map nav has the ability to override the driver's selection for the next stop (carrot down to selected stop can be overridden so map nav goes to a computer or manager selected stop/not the drivers selection)?

If this is the case get ready for mega miles. Orion added miles. Removing RDO added miles. Taking away driver discretion will always add miles.

Removing driver control over map nav will have the same result. Drivers deal with the reality of the entire delivery sequence situation, ORION is incapable of doing so.

Either way....NO, I wont fix your ORION to make my knowledge worthless!

No, not at all. Well, mostly not at all. There is no function within Orion, DMS/DPS etc that allows that, not even in the beta 20 build. There was a suggestion of sending notifications when a driver skipped over the next stop but it never happened. The most we can really do once you've downloaded edd and headed out is ODSE BS.

That being said, I don't put it past them to include some sort of "authorization needed" function. Requiring a sup to approve you skipping a stop. I've never heard any rumors or anything, just speculating.

The real reason they pushed this so hard and spent the money to add the cradles is what it almost always is, money. The faster you run a route, the more stops, etc blah blah. And they think mapnav is a way to do that. And...on paper, sure. In practice? ha..

35years

Gravy route
I am getting the distinct impression UPS is once again paying a management shill to come on here and present a kinder, gentler face of management.

The purpose being to influence drivers to work with management to fix the problems with ORION.

Why would I help management dumb down the job so they can use Uber drivers to do my job?

dysphunktion

A decent sup
I am getting the distinct impression UPS is once again paying a management shill to come on here and present a kinder, gentler face of management.

The purpose being to influence drivers to work with management to fix the problems with ORION.

Why would I help management dumb down the job so they can use Uber drivers to do my job?

:(
I haven't once advocated that anyone works with us. If what you guys say is true, I'd stay the :censored2: away from us.
I'm just a decent dude with respect for the drivers I supervise. I'm still all about them numbers, don't get it twisted! But the drivers get it done.

Hey, want some of his kool-aid?

::Edit::
"once again"?
So has that actually happened or is this some urban legend :censored2:?