NEW DRIVER- DAY 20- NEED ADVICE

rustys954rr

Good God -With MapNav now this job is becoming so easy a brain-dead monkey could do it. Overheard a worthless seasonal driver this morning say if their mapnav died they would just pull over and quit during peak.
Using map nav is currently the most important job you have to do, around here at least. Management isn't concerned about getting me out of the building less than 30 minutes after start time, nor the terrible dispatches, but God forbid I hit only 65% on nav usage, then they need to tell me I need to make sure the maps work.

Tech522

probably depends on the supervisors. I know I had to make 5 days in a row...just completed last friday...two days ago was day 30. So just in time, plus we got 9 inches on snow Monday night. I got real lucky.

dysphunktion

A decent sup
Using map nav is currently the most important job you have to do, around here at least. Management isn't concerned about getting me out of the building less than 30 minutes after start time, nor the terrible dispatches, but God forbid I hit only 65% on nav usage, then they need to tell me I need to make sure the maps work.

How accurate is map nav for you? Or in general at your center?

Whither

Scofflaw

Are they measuring how much you follow the turn-by-turn directions or just the orion trace?

Dr.Brownz

How accurate is map nav for you? Or in general at your center?

Today I was about 45 minutes from town and it told me to take the back roads and my eta would be 6:30pm ( it was 2:15pm)

Our dispatcher doesn't bother to fix the map. It clearly has main roads marked as driveways (which ends up routing you around some weird way no one would ever go) and the speed limits seem to not matter because when you drive a rural highway it wants you to hop off on to dirt farm roads for a mile or two to save .00002 miles on the highway.

dysphunktion

A decent sup
Today I was about 45 minutes from town and it told me to take the back roads and my eta would be 6:30pm ( it was 2:15pm)

Our dispatcher doesn't bother to fix the map. It clearly has main roads marked as driveways (which ends up routing you around some weird way no one would ever go) and the speed limits seem to not matter because when you drive a rural highway it wants you to hop off on to dirt farm roads for a mile or two to save .00002 miles on the highway.

That figures. As much as I want to defend management, no excuse for :censored2: like this. It's not that hard to fix a bad snap. It's a as simple as cutting and pasting. You cut, find where the snap actually goes and paste. :censored2:ing diabolical.
And just that little thing can have a huge improvement with your dispatch. Not to mention everything else you mentioned, all stuff we're being paid to do but always seem to have an excuse for not doing.

Speed limits are pretty damned important. They play a huge role in "The Orion Solution" (Not to be confused with his brother, equally BS, The Final Solution). It'll route you into some stupid scenarios if it thinks you can only go 10mph on a damned freeway.
Another easy thing to fix. Another right click, some sub-menus and bam.

:censored2:, didn't mean to go all ranty on ya.

rustys954rr

Are they measuring how much you follow the turn-by-turn directions or just the orion trace?
Making sure the map pulls up every time it's in the holder. Orion trace doesn't seem to matter anymore as long as we select the next stop on the board for the map to pull up. It doesn't matter though they can't seem to make the holders work.

dysphunktion

A decent sup
Making sure the map pulls up every time it's in the holder. Orion trace doesn't seem to matter anymore as long as we select the next stop on the board for the map to pull up. It doesn't matter though they can't seem to make the holders work.

If you're following what the map is telling you than your trace should reflect that and be in the higher range.
I've seen/heard (on here and IRL) quite a few drivers mentioning how trace isn't important anymore. Don't fall for that.
Sure, upper management isn't pushing it as hard as it has but it's still a topic on calls. Should be relaxed during peak though, of course.

rustys954rr

If you're following what the map is telling you than your trace should reflect that and be in the higher range.
I've seen/heard (on here and IRL) quite a few drivers mentioning how trace isn't important anymore. Don't fall for that.
Sure, upper management isn't pushing it as hard as it has but it's still a topic on calls. Should be relaxed during peak though, of course.
There is no map man, the diad holders don't work.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That figures. As much as I want to defend management, no excuse for :censored2: like this. It's not that hard to fix a bad snap. It's a as simple as cutting and pasting. You cut, find where the snap actually goes and paste. :censored2:ing diabolical.
And just that little thing can have a huge improvement with your dispatch. Not to mention everything else you mentioned, all stuff we're being paid to do but always seem to have an excuse for not doing.

Speed limits are pretty damned important. They play a huge role in "The Orion Solution" (Not to be confused with his brother, equally BS, The Final Solution). It'll route you into some stupid scenarios if it thinks you can only go 10mph on a damned freeway.

You should be the driver trying to work around this crap.

35years

Gravy route

Unless still in probation...
We drivers don't care about trace.
We drivers don't care about nav compliance.
We drivers don't care about your calls.

Your job depends on these stupid manipulated metrics, not ours.

I deliver boxes. I actually do real work in the real world, not the virtual world of metrics.

I do not care if the cradle works or does not. Don't care about ORION %. Don't care about ANY of YOUR numbers.

Whither

Scofflaw
We drivers know trace is a joke when several businesses are consistently tossed near the bottom of a heavy dispatch and even the optimistic 'solution' gives an ETA well after 5pm. When, to save a little mileage, trace would have us risk injury or death to deliver from the driver's side on busy 4 lane thru-streets, 55-65mph highways, etc. When trace would have us cross or make left turns at dangerous, uncontrolled intersections. When, for us cover drivers thrown into the blind, pickups are tossed into the board with no rhyme or reason.

Above all, when we are well aware that the goal of Orion is to deskill our trade and demand more and faster production out of drivers. We have a vested interest in working safely and protecting service. When the metrics conflict with those priorities, as they often do -- so much the worse for the metrics.

dysphunktion

A decent sup
Unless still in probation...
We drivers don't care about trace.
We drivers don't care about nav compliance.
We drivers don't care about your calls.

Your job depends on these stupid manipulated metrics, not ours.

I deliver boxes. I actually do real work in the real world, not the virtual world of metrics.

I do not care if the cradle works or does not. Don't care about ORION %. Don't care about ANY of YOUR numbers.

I understand. But you should think of Orion, trace and all of that as less "my" thing and more yours too. A good route gives you less of a headache, gets you home quicker, etc.

Not sure what this "real" work has to do with anything. I spent years in LEO, delivery boxes would be a vacation.
Sounds like you've had some really :censored2:ty management.

dysphunktion

A decent sup
We drivers know trace is a joke when several businesses are consistently tossed near the bottom of a heavy dispatch and even the optimistic 'solution' gives an ETA well after 5pm. When, to save a little mileage, trace would have us risk injury or death to deliver from the driver's side on busy 4 lane thru-streets, 55-65mph highways, etc. When trace would have us cross or make left turns at dangerous, uncontrolled intersections. When, for us cover drivers thrown into the blind, pickups are tossed into the board with no rhyme or reason.

Above all, when we are well aware that the goal of Orion is to deskill our trade and demand more and faster production out of drivers. We have a vested interest in working safely and protecting service. When the metrics conflict with those priorities, as they often do -- so much the worse for the metrics.

Oh I hear ya, trust me. I don't want to say all that much but it's a slippery slope when it comes to having a super optimized Orion route. Or I should say, going from a route that has a :censored2: Orion run...and then trying to fix it. In cases like that, which is most cases, fixing Orion just means more work for you. And yeah, not like we don't push you guys as it is...

35years

Gravy route
Your not gonna qualify. Your seasonal. Sorry to beak it to you.
hm3XoXK.gif

Dr.Brownz

Actually it gives me extra time when I get the driveway that should be a road. It makes the computer think I should get an extra 45 minutes for that one stop.

dysphunktion

A decent sup
Actually it gives me extra time when I get the driveway that should be a road. It makes the computer think I should get an extra 45 minutes for that one stop.

STORY TIME!
I have two drivers that love to come in a little early to BS before hell begins. I usually get to hear about the really "wtf" things Orion has them do. I usually just nod and tell them that it should be fixed with the next update, etc.
So I had to go help a PDS at another center and what do you know, that same driver was due for his ride along! Shucks! :P So I get an on road to come do it and the driver showed him some of the funky orion adventures. On road tells
him that he'll work on it for him if I can't get to it. Well pump those brakes Mr On Road, you will do no such :censored2:ing thing. I'll handle this. So anyway, I let the driver know that I really could have fixed it not long after we initially got it. BUT, the way the route is now, with a reasonable amount of over allowed, he averages 9.5+ hours, every day. But if I go and fix it, guess what? I'll have to add quite a few more stops to make up for the optimization it does. I've already tried it. It knocks nearly 2 hours out and we hover too close to a flat 8.

So I hear ya man. I'd love to be able to do this for all my drivers but alas, I am still management and the numbers are the numbers. But in the end, my drivers are happy and not dreading this peak so win win.