NEW DRIVER- DAY 20- NEED ADVICE

CD0314

Tomorrow is my day 20. I haven’t made scratch, I have gotten within an hour almost everyday. I was told today by the center manager in a meeting that I had to make scratch 5 days in a row and if I didn’t make it today then he wouldn’t be riding with me tomorrow like he had planned and I’d be done. They had me drive this route 2 weeks, laid me off driving for a month, then put me on it with double the work and they’ve changed up the route a few times. I am struggling with businesses and they told me I should’ve been driving the route while I was laid off. I think I may have hit scratch today but won’t know until morning for sure, but I also rolled my ankle today. Didn’t start hurting until I got home but now it’s swollen pretty good. Just searching for some advice. Tell them about the ankle or wait to see if he’s coming with me or not? Anything I can say or do at this point to get them to give me more of a chance? I really don’t want to miss this opportunity.

Bluefootedoobie

Damage Inc.
Do not tell them about the ankle; the whole scratch thing is pretty much an illusion...they want to see your limits, like how fast you can go etc. and if they don’t want you, screw them, try again some other time. They pulled the same thing with me years ago, the. All of a sudden my part time supervisor tells me a scratched 5 times in a row.

Whither

Scofflaw
I second not mentioning the ankle if you can manage the swelling and tough it out. Remember, during your packet, it sucks but as you should already know -- the company considers an injury grounds for DQ. If they DQ you for not scratching speak with your steward about the changes to your training route and see if there's a case.

ibleedbrown

R.i.c.e rest ice compression elevation.

If you report the injury that is grounds for immediate dq. If you trust your steward I would let him know everything you have said on here and see what advice he gives you.

CD0314

Is it really a rule that you have to hit it 5 times in a row to qualify? The meeting this morning had the union steward in there. They keep saying what can we do to help and how can we make it better. Well I don’t know, I’m going as fast as I can. Genuinely take pride in my work so I’m not sure how to answer the question. I’m definitely nervous tonight I need to be looking for a different job.

Bluefootedoobie

Damage Inc.
If you really want to be fast, go in early-organize your truck-know which places you gotta go to. when you get rid of your Buisness, organize your rezis by street not pal; And if you really wanna smoke your residential sections, work out of the cab-put your next 5-10 stops on your dashboard...especially the smalls but always be careful if you overdue it. This eliminates the “whole open the door,look,close the door” bs...you will shed minutes off working out of your cab. This is against the rules, but if this is the production standards they want, you have nothing to lose aaayye?

Methods Man

I’d hate to be trying to qualify during this time of year. Although it’s easier to scratch with a higher planned day but if your trucks are being blown out like ours have lately, I couldn’t even imagine trying to qualify. Goodluck to you

Whither

Scofflaw
Is it really a rule that you have to hit it 5 times in a row to qualify? The meeting this morning had the union steward in there. They keep saying what can we do to help and how can we make it better. Well I don’t know, I’m going as fast as I can. Genuinely take pride in my work so I’m not sure how to answer the question. I’m definitely nervous tonight I need to be looking for a different job.

It really depends on your center management. I've heard of people qualifying at my building who never did better than 1.5 hrs over. Your center manager could be trying to 'scare' you into going faster or they could be serious and today was your last day to hit the magical number. Have you talked with other drivers, your steward, etc to find out how mgmt has been dealing with new hires recently?

Whither

Scofflaw
If you really want to be fast, go in early-organize your truck-know which places you gotta go to. when you get rid of your Buisness, organize your rezis by street not pal; And if you really wanna smoke your residential sections, work out of the cab-put your next 5-10 stops on your dashboard...especially the smalls but always be careful if you overdue it. This eliminates the “whole open the door,look,close the door” bs...you will shed minutes off working out of your cab. This is against the rules, but if this is the production standards they want, you have nothing to lose aaayye?

Except telematics will show that the OP didn't open the bulkhead door once while making 10 deliveries and driving, say, 1 mile. Not a good idea.

Methods Man

Except telematics will show that the OP didn't open the bulkhead door once while making 10 deliveries and driving, say, 1 mile. Not a good idea.

there’s ways around that but I agree don’t take that advice. All it takes is one sup to do an observation on you and your toast.

Bluefootedoobie

Damage Inc.
UPS works like this: Break all the laws, rules and methods; as long as you don’t get caught, damage property or get hurt. examples include speeding to get your airs on time, running etc.

Whither

Scofflaw
They don’t care about that if OP is smokin his route, r u serious? Hell he can even scan stuff and deliver them while on lunch break.

Know a guy at my building who got DQed for delivering during his lunch. They gave him a second chance (a fresh set of 30 days) and he made it.

CD0314

If they do DQ me tomorrow do I tell them about my ankle or still no? I feel like my nerves are shot but I’m just going to have to wait and see I guess.