New Driver Helper quick questions!

Hi!
I've just scheduled for a wednesday interview.

First question:
What questions are they going to ask me? I have a hard time coming up answers right on the spot
What do I wear to the interview?

Second:
How much do I get paid? Are they going to ask me? How much should I say?

Third:
Can I wear my usual nike shoes during the job (those are ultra comfortable!)? I only have nike shoes and one pair of dress shoes

Fourth:
About the uniform, it's going to be cold, and I want to wear at least something that covers most of my skin. Is the uniform long sleeve (or do I get a jacket?)? Are the pants long as well?

Fifth:
During the job, is it hard to use the electronic thingy for people to sign? I'm generally a quick learner, but when a problem arises, I panic!

Sixth:
What are the hours like? I am going to be off from school this whole month, so I want to work as long as possible (12 hours possible? or is that illegal?). Need cash!

Seven:
Also, I only have three weeks to work (probably up until the day before christmas eve). Do you think they would hire me for only three weeks?

Eigth:
What happens if I need to go to the restroom during the job?

Lastly:
Is the job more cardial vascular or more muscle oriented?

thanks!

aspenleaf

I've just scheduled for a wednesday interview.

First question:
What questions are they going to ask me? I have a hard time coming up answers right on the spot
What do I wear to the interview?
I think they want to make sure you are able to work when they need you. So it will depend on the driver you get. I would think you'd be going out most days. So the questions they will ask will be about when you can work and if you can lift up to 70 pounds. I'd wear casual clothes to the interview (nothing special; look decent, shave, be clean and be willing to work extremely hard)

Second:
How much do I get paid? Are they going to ask me? How much should I say?
They will tell you what you get paid. In my area is a bit over 11 bucks an hour.

Third:
Can I wear my usual nike shoes during the job (those are ultra comfortable!)? I only have nike shoes and one pair of dress shoes
Yes; wear your Nike shoes (I hear you will be running).

Fourth:
About the uniform, it's going to be cold, and I want to wear at least something that covers most of my skin. Is the uniform long sleeve (or do I get a jacket?)? Are the pants long as well?
In my area they let you wear the brown pants and the jacket. You have to supply the rest (undies, socks etc).

Fifth:
During the job, is it hard to use the electronic thingy for people to sign? I'm generally a quick learner, but when a problem arises, I panic!
Yes the thingy (DIAD) you use might have problems but you should be fine. If not blame the driver for the problem; everyone else does! :tongue_sm

Sixth:
What are the hours like? I am going to be off from school this whole month, so I want to work as long as possible (12 hours possible? or is that illegal?). Need cash!
Just be ready when your driver calls you. You will be told where to meet them. I have not heard of our helpers doing 12 hours. Anything that does not kill you is legal. :wink: If you are a hard worker you will be used and maybe abused but you'll get your cash.

Seven:
Also, I only have three weeks to work (probably up until the day before Christmas Eve). Do you think they would hire me for only three weeks?
This is perfect since they won't need you after Christmas. They will hire you for three weeks.

Eigth:
What happens if I need to go to the restroom during the job?
Bring a large bottle or wear a depends! :w00t: Don't pee on the customer's lawns. You should be too busy to worry about peeing. (But if you must go I think there are restrooms out there but it depends on your route - you aren't going to ask a resi if you can use the restroom) If using the restroom is going to be a issue you might to consider an inside job.

Lastly:
Is the job more cardial vascular or more muscle oriented?
Yes, you will be working your whole body. Bring gloves (to grip the packages). And if you survive as a helper you might want to consider becoming a preloader after the holidays. (UPS pays for school!)

Good luck!

aspenleaf

wow thanks for the reply. I feel much better now (was a bit shaky of taking this job)!

Just know you will work hard. I am a preloader and have not done the helper job. One of the guys I preload with is also a helper so the info I gave you is from him with a few exceptions. Goodluck oh and really you need to respect your driver (they work hard all year long). I was joking about blaming them (however they do get blamed for a lot of stuff). If you are going to be a helper be a good one. I am sure the drivers on this board can tell you what they like in a helper.

BigBrownBear

Thanks for the info aspen! Actually answered some of the questions I had myself. I've been browsing around for a while and actually tried my hand at preload back in May. That didn't work out so hot, but I just wanted to come back to UPS! (call me crazy.) I start driver helper tomorrow :thumbup1:

SmithBarney

Remember you will work hard, it will also feel like the driver is abusing you,
but he/she isn't, they'll will be working as hard if not harder than you, delivering, and planning your next move, so they are in reality planning your day and their day...