New driver wreck

Shiftless

I'm a new driver. I got my seniority date last week. Today, I was going through a yellow light and the car in front of me slammed on their brakes and I hit them. He wasn't injured but his car is smashed pretty bad. I didn't even know I had gotten my seniority date until I got back and one of the supervisors told me I had finished my 30 days, last week. Anyway, they told me to come in tomorrow in my browns and be ready to drive. But they also told me they're trying to figure out what tier wreck it was. Is there a chance I won't be driving anymore?

The real question is, will you learn from this event?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In my building, a tier 3 is an automatic firing. There is also a grievance immediately fired. In my building, I would expect that you would be off 1-5 days. If you work tomorrow, you will have a read from either a supe or the center manager. How well you do on the ride may determine your future.

Same most places. Contract says you could be off for 30 days, unless they go for a permanent discharge.

Sounds like a weak local. I would hope they fight for back pay.

Nothing to do with a weak local.

It is contractual language in the Master, and the Company uses it all the time and in all locals.

If it was a very serious accident where the driver was extremely reckless I can understand. But a tier 3 could be a minor accident in a intersection.

The Master specifies what a serious accident is, in which a driver can be removed from the payroll.

So, I was terminated. They're filing a grievance. How long will it be before i get to go back?

Could be from a few days to a few months. Nobody can say for sure.

You should be back, eventually.

UPSNMA

Article 18

Section 3

In the event of a vehicle accident, the Employer shall have twenty (20) days to complete its investigation, if warranted, and ten (10) days to take disciplinary action, if any, unless otherwise mutually agreed. Except for serious accidents, where the driver may be presumed to be at fault, a driver will not be removed from the payroll during an investigation of the accident.

A serious accident is defined as one in which: 1. There is a fatality, or;

2. A citation is issued and there is bodily injury to a person who, as a result of the injury, receives immediate medical treatment away from the scene of the accident, or;

3. A citation is issued and one or more motor vehicles incur disabling damage as a result of the accident requiring a vehicle to be transported away from the scene by a tow truck or other vehicle, or;

4. Any vehicular contact with an aircraft which results in damage that grounds such aircraft, or;

5. There is an accident involving a motor vehicle on Company property, outside of any building, that results in a fatality or bodily

542thruNthru

Nothing to do with a weak local.

It is contractual language in the Master, and the Company uses it all the time and in all locals.

Yes I understand that. That's why I said a serious accident. Again the term Tier 3 is the company's term. I can have a small little fender bender in a intersection and it's a Tier 3 or hit someone in the rear.

When he said you're fired for a Tier 3 automatically that is not right and if true then it's a weak local.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yes I understand that. That's why I said a serious accident. Again the term Tier 3 is the company's term. I can have a small little fender bender in a intersection and it's a Tier 3.

When he said you're fired for a Tier 3 automatically that is not right and if true then it's a weak local.

I don't care about their Tier classification either, and I did not reference the supposed Tier 3.

The OP stated the car was pretty messed up, so I assumed it was towed.

According to the Contract, this is classified as a serious accident where the driver is presumed to be at fault, and the Union agreed to this.

The Company can take you out of service, without pay, and no chance of backpay, unless it was determined to not be your fault, for up to 30 days.

I don't care about their Tier classification either, and I did not reference the supposed Tier 3.

According to the Contract, this is classified as a serious accident where the driver is presumed to be at fault, and the Union agreed to this.

The Company can take you out of service, without pay, and no chance of backpay, unless it was determined to not be your fault, for up to 30 days.
And being a rookie doesn't help

542thruNthru

Ok well I responding to barnyard not OP and when you quoted me I misunderstood.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Had a female air driver break the rules twice in one week. Saw a woman fall off of her bike and put her & the bike into her P 300 and drive her home ( outside of our area ) and then the next day rear end a car, extremely little damage. She was banned from driving again and given my inside job, while I was forced to do her driving { my pay rate was not changed, my inside rate was higher } It was a work as directed thing. She always played the poor single woman with a growing child routine.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Had a female air driver break the rules twice in one week. Saw a woman fall off of her bike and put her & the bike into her P 300 and drive her home ( outside of our area ) and then the next day rear end a car, extremely little damage. She was banned from driving again and given my inside job, while I was forced to do her driving { my pay rate was not changed, my inside rate was higher } It was a work as directed thing. She always played the poor single woman with a growing child routine.

Having an unauthorized passenger is a cardinal sin, is it not?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I can have a small little fender bender in a intersection and it's a Tier 3 or hit someone in the rear.

I don't know if their Tier classification system takes into account injuries, vehicles being towed or dollar amounts.

I don't know if a minor fender bender in an intersection is a Tier 3 regardless of how small, and personally, I don't care.

If you were to have a fender bender, where there were no injuries and no vehicles towed, whether in an intersection or not, how can they discharge you if it does not meet the threshold of a serious accident in the NMUPSA?

They can't.

It is possible that to be a Tier 3, there needs to be injuries or vehicles towed, I don't know.

But the OP was removed from service, discharged, because it was a serious accident defined in Article 18 Section 3 of the NMUPSA, not because it was a Tier 3.

But the 2 definitions are probably one in the same.