New driver wreck

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I'm a new driver. I got my seniority date last week. Today, I was going through a yellow light and the car in front of me slammed on their brakes and I hit them. He wasn't injured but his car is smashed pretty bad. I didn't even know I had gotten my seniority date until I got back and one of the supervisors told me I had finished my 30 days, last week. Anyway, they told me to come in tomorrow in my browns and be ready to drive. But they also told me they're trying to figure out what tier wreck it was. Is there a chance I won't be driving anymore?
at the very least you will have a ride along. they may have to take you off road pending an investigation.

this will probably be deemed "avoidable" since you did not have a safe space cushion. part of the seeing habits and 10 point commentary.

good luck and check back when you know what is going to happen

just saw that the driver was terminated. first day on the job? ouch! i think it depends on how hard the union will fight. a veteran yes. this driver?

not sure.if the company wants him/her gone ?????the driver is holding very few cards.

still, they should get their job back. heck we have drivers with several or more accidents. it's common now.

Last edited:

A good guy

I think discipline depends on the center.

There was a accident in the yard involving a backing accident and a rear view mirror. That driver was written up for an accident.

I would guess there would be a talk in the center managers office, a ride along, warning letter, and a 3 (or 6) month probation period were anything else could get you fired.

clean hairy

You could be gone.
Gained senority just the week before.
That means you were taught and knew space and visibility, but elected to ignore what you were taught.
You had an accident resulting in personal injiry and property damage.
It could be a challenge for the union to keep your job.

35years

Gravy route
I dropped 15 days worth of 9.5 grievances to reduce a perminate termination to a 30 day suspension for another driver's roll away. He left the car running in neutral and was away from the vehicle. He has kids. Timing and the quality of your BA is important.

You could be gone.
Gained senority just the week before.
That means you were taught and knew space and visibility, but elected to ignore what you were taught.
You had an accident resulting in personal injiry and property damage.
It could be a challenge for the union to keep your job.

Well, I wish they'd just decide. My meeting wasn't today after all. I can't get a straight answer when it is.

El Correcto

god is dead
I dropped 15 days worth of 9.5 grievances to reduce a perminate termination to a 30 day suspension for another driver's roll away. He left the car running in neutral and was away from the vehicle. He has kids. Timing and the quality of your BA is important.
Gross negligence, possible fatality conditions, meh we’ll let it go for a couple hundos and an apology.

You got to admire that penny pinching when it works in our favor.