new feeder drivers

local804

Just a reminder:
old newspaper clipping- was a feeder driver not a supervisor- reporter mistake

motorist stopped on the shoulder of the Long Island Expressway in Dix Hills was killed Saturday when a drunken driver fell asleep behind the wheel and slammed into the parked car, Suffolk County police said.

Asim Iqbal, 40, had pulled over on the eastbound LIE after working a late shift when a 1996 Nissan Maxima struck Iqbal's 2002 Honda Accord at about 4 a.m., west of the Deer Park Avenue exit, police said.

Iqbal, of Nesconset, a father of three, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the Maxima, David Thai, 23, of Bay Shore, was awakened by the impact. He was treated for a minor injury to his wrist at Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center in West Islip and released Saturday morning.

Thai was charged with driving while intoxicated and was scheduled to be arraigned Sunday morning in First District Court in Central Islip. He could face additional charges after blood test results are returned, Suffolk County police Sgt. Bruce Markgraf said.

Iqbal, a supervisor at United Parcel Service, was coming home from the regional headquarters in Maspeth.

His family believes he pulled over to take a nap, as he often does after working until 3 a.m. He was only 17 miles from home, where his wife, two daughters and infant son were sleeping.

In a soft voice, Iqbal's uncle, Khan Shafiq, condemned Thai and said the family hoped for stiffer charges against him.

"He knew what he was doing," said Shafiq, 50, of Hicksville. "He drank and then he drove and yet he's still alive. All of us are saying, 'Why didn't he die?'"

Thai, who told police that he had had "a few drinks" at a diner in Queens before driving home, was contrite after the accident and asked if he could apologize to Iqbal's family, Markgraf said.

"I told him to give it a little time," Markgraf said.

Iqbal's car was so badly damaged that the Suffolk police emergency services team had to pry the roof off to remove him, police said.

Police are searching for witnesses and ask anyone who saw the accident to call the Second Precinct at 631-854-8252.

Iqbal emigrated from Pakistan 22 years ago and had worked for UPS for 18 years.

For the last five years, the Iqbals have lived in a two-story, wood-framed house on a block in Nesconset lined with cedar trees. The family moved there from Bayside before his oldest daughter, now 9, started kindergarten.

"He came out here for the children and the good schools," Shafiq said.

Iqbal's wife, he said, is angry.

"She says she has no life without him," he said. "This is a terrible thing for her and the children."

Next week, during spring break, Iqbal had big plans for the kids, he said.

"He was taking them to Disney World," Shafiq said.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.

LOL....from your entry, it says you're past 1 mile BFE. Champaign isn't quite that bad (anymore) but it was at one time. I-57 isn't lit except for 200 yards north/south at exits. I didn't like being a passenger on -57 at night because you couldn't see jack! Add in being tired and you've got a recipe for disaster. Again....-57 isn't like -294 (which is lit at regular intervals) because its not an urban highway. The roadways should be something you consider before accepting a commute 40 or 50+ miles from your home! And by the way....there are places to stop along the way--McDonalds, Wendy's, etc--off -57 but there are many exits that do NOT have services! And Champaign isn't even the southern limit for 710. You've got Mattoon, Carbondale, etc. I believe Carbondale is at least 4 hours each way!!! -Rocky

A

Anonymous GearJammer

In Wisconsin their feeder coverage drivers cover several centers and the bottom guy can find himself driving 100 plus miles each way to work. Had one feeder driver out of St. Paul, MN that lived in Iowa. Don't know exact details but was told his job was re-domiciled from a Iowa center to St. Paul and decided to follow in order to stay in feeders. He bought a R.V. and lived out of it during the week and went home for the weekend. Not as bad as it sound, except the extra cost to buy R.V., considering several of us feeder drivers just work and sleep during the workweek anyways. After all, most feeder jobs are not family friendly, due to start times and number of hours worked. But every job has its pros and cons, everyone just has to weigh them for themselves before making the decision.

loserupser

Two minute Therapist
waz up crew,
I guess the rumors were true! We were officially told of our departure to the package car pits after Dec 22, with no definite date of return. I guess I was blinded by the rumors going around. Oh well ill just wait my turn again, and follow up on the subcontracting issue. :dissapointed: On a good note I did get my CDL and the best peak of my UPS career.

raceanoncr

Now one thing I heard was that some of you guys are Tue-Sat which opens up an interesting scenario. If you do go back to work in pkg on Mon the 24th that would be your 7th work day which is double time. Also if you worked those 5 prior days and Mon is your 7th, I wonder can they MAKE you work on your 7th work day. 705Red would probably know the answer there.

Cach, (if may jump in here) it wouldn't work that way here. We have only one run here that is that way (Tues-Sat) and it's mine. In order for me to cash in on a Monday o/t or double for that matter, I would have to work Sun also. That's 6th and 7th punch, Sat being my 5th. That's if they are canceling my job and moving me to permanant Mon start.

Now if my job continues to be a Tues-Sat job and they call me in for xtra Mon work (hrs permitting), then Mon is all o/t, but not d/t. Or if you want to look at it differently, Mon-Fri would be s/t and Sat would be all o/t. Either way, the xtra day is o/t.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you hafta work 6 or 7 consecutive days in order to qualify for the 6th and 7th punch premiums. At least here, anyway.