New Female at ups Am I in trouble?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I gotta ask...why is it that most every guy grows the same type of beard either on comp or vacation? I know I do.

I won't shave after Wednesday of the week before I begin vacation. By the following Wednesday I have a decent vacation beard. Thats when I take the razor, run it down the sides of my mouth, and attain the sweetest set of mutton chops you can get out of a one week vacation.

velle1203

First thing that came to my mind, how was that relevant to the topic?

if it wasnt I apologize.

but nonetheless I got shifted to unload yesterday did about 2.5 trailers accept for the irregs,I loved it.weird though they hired like 7 of us for unload and make 2 of us sorters.But now a new class just came out with more people being trained for sort.An old timer told me thats just the way it goes they hire and train where and who they see fit!I think the jobs really cool.I get a good workout and as long as I show up/do my job it seems Ill remain employed.I'd love to get a position teaching training class since thats what my degree will be in.

Once again thanx for all the background knowledge and responses on how UPS runs I truly appreciate it!

Island

I see this kind of thing happening in my operation sometimes. My steward personally doesn't take a stand on when supervisors ask for a specific person to be moved. However, I refuse to go help elsewhere if they ask for me by name. I have seniority, I am a worker like anyone else. Ask for "a worker," not for "that person who I like." If you see these part-time supervisors looking at you in a bad way, or you just don't want to go work elsewhere, don't be afraid to say no. If there's a person with less seniority than you, they can go. If they really, really want you, they can ask you if you want to go.
On the flip side, productive women on my shift tend to get moved to really easy positions. Like high-value clerks. I would love that job, but I'm a big dude, not a busty chick. Therefore I don't qualify to hang out around the management offices with a purdy smile.

BonafideView

Dear Velle,

From my experience as a female UPS worker, I would say the supervisor is requesting you because he or she thinks you are a good worker and that helps everybody.
As far as him being nice, he probably just is nice. You are in control of your situation and should not read too much into it unless there is truly offensive over-the-line behavior. If that ever happens, report it at once. UPS WILL act on it.
If you don't want to be pulled off your original line, let that supervisor know. However, even if you make $1.00 an hour more while in that spot, you may end up getting less hours in the long run.
Good luck on your Special Education studies!

Kis124

"On the flip side, productive women on my shift tend to get moved to really easy positions. Like high-value clerks. I would love that job, but I'm a big dude, not a busty chick. Therefore I don't qualify to hang out around the management offices with a purdy smile."

In our Hub, Women do the same jobs as the men. I have loaded, unloaded, have done irregs, and now I spa. If a woman is older, had health problems, then they go over to small sort.

Island

While I was wellness champ in my sort, I got the opportunity to read UPS' documents about ergonomics. Turns out that back in the day (and probably still practiced in some hubs that are good safe operations), your position was assigned based on your body type. That's the impression I got based on the publications. And that's the way I think people should be assigned, after seniority of course. Your ladies should be doing less intense work, unless they want to. Bulky people need to be lifting, short people should be doing small sort, etc. Of course none of this happens in my operation anymore.

velle1203

well my check was short 9 dollars because i was placed in unload...but i ended up with 10 dollars in ot some how.There dragging there feet certifying me for sort even though thats what i got hired as.I"m going to mention this all when my probation is up the first week of august also...both of my courses got approved for tuition reimbursement even though one was started prior to me working at the hub now for how much we shall see when i submit grades!Like I stated before the job is OK better than sitting at home doing nothing.The fellows for the most part are very cool except a few disrespectful jack butts who find it relevant to scream how large my butt is when i walk by ugh.Or the few who get smart when i scream break the jam on the belt without saying please lmmfao even though im too busy trying to sort and not get squash by a tire.Im a strong women though and tomorrow im going paleo and insanity to lose some of this weight.Ive lost 7lb so far so if I drop the sugar and bread Ill be fine keep u guys posted god bless

Island

If those guys keep talking about your backside, you can go to HR about it. No one should be subject to that in the workplace.