New Hire Experience Thread

NewbieHopeful

Hey guys, it's been so helpful to me reading these forums that I wanted to contribute a bit too, especially since it appears things are VERY different between the different hubs/centers. I just finished my second morning unloading trucks.

First, after readings on here, I was prepared to (a) be called in at different times with little notice and/or (2) be called in and sent home after an hour or two after reading these threads. That hasn't happened. Monday I worked 2:30am-~6:45am; today I worked 2:45am-8:01am. Some sorters got sent home early today, and then we ended up w/ 4 unexpected trucks, so that's part of the reason we ran late today, but so far it seems like expecting 4+ hours/day is not going to be out of the norm.

I was given a schedule for the week and my start times vary from 2:15am-3:00am.

My sup told me to slow down (and co-workers too). I'm a "get in, do my work, and get out" kind of guy, but the workers don't want to finish/be sent home early (understandable), and the sup said he'd rather have me for 5 years healthy than 1 year burnt out (also understandable), but otherwise have gotten high praise from sup and lost some co-workers some money (who had a pool I wouldn't show back up on day #2), so all in all so far so good!

I'm enjoying it so far (though am definitely sore!), and will periodically post my experiences here so that others reading the forums can hopefully learn something from it....if nothing else than it appears that things are different in every district and every hub/center, and who the heck knows what to expect until you get there, LOL!

Dr.Brownz

Hey guys, it's been so helpful to me reading these forums that I wanted to contribute a bit too, especially since it appears things are VERY different between the different hubs/centers. I just finished my second morning unloading trucks.

First, after readings on here, I was prepared to (a) be called in at different times with little notice and/or (2) be called in and sent home after an hour or two after reading these threads. That hasn't happened. Monday I worked 2:30am-~6:45am; today I worked 2:45am-8:01am. Some sorters got sent home early today, and then we ended up w/ 4 unexpected trucks, so that's part of the reason we ran late today, but so far it seems like expecting 4+ hours/day is not going to be out of the norm.

I was given a schedule for the week and my start times vary from 2:15am-3:00am.

My sup told me to slow down (and co-workers too). I'm a "get in, do my work, and get out" kind of guy, but the workers don't want to finish/be sent home early (understandable), and the sup said he'd rather have me for 5 years healthy than 1 year burnt out (also understandable), but otherwise have gotten high praise from sup and lost some co-workers some money (who had a pool I wouldn't show back up on day #2), so all in all so far so good!

I'm enjoying it so far (though am definitely sore!), and will periodically post my experiences here so that others reading the forums can hopefully learn something from it....if nothing else than it appears that things are different in every district and every hub/center, and who the heck knows what to expect until you get there, LOL!

Slow down, work at a pace that doesn't cause you to be fatigued or sore afterwards. It's a marathon not a race. All the dumb drivers who run eventually slow down (when their knees turn to jelly and pop from constant abuse) They are just boxes don't worry about them.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Go into Management! Take
MQ8V1A.gif
the test.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I would work on safety first from my own personal experiences. I've tripped into a package car twice, almost derailed the boxline and in less than 4 months I had a repetitive motion injury from lifting over my head wayyyyy too many times.

Speed comes from creating a plan for working safely and quickly and then going through the ropes for months until you can do the next motion without thinking, without pausing.

NewbieHopeful

Appreciate all the constructive replies/advice, and the laughs from others! Worked from 2:15 to 8:00 this morning, then had an hour of safety training (AFTER 3 days of work, LOL). Still going well. Will update periodically.