New hire here

O

opie

I would be disappointed if I go from $9.50 to $8.50. I was happy that I got $9.50, I told my family and others. How could UPS make such an error? UPS taking the money back? We'll see this Thrusday, if I am still getting $9.50 I'll probably mention it to my supervisor. First, I'll try to ask some other people who work with me, how much they make. This better not be an error, because it's an stupid error and I shouldn't have to pay for it. If I was getting paid like $20/hr, I would have never cashed that because I know I don't make that much. But, who knows maybe $9.50 is my pay. If I am suppposed to get $8.50 at my HUB, they better show on this weeks check. I would be really pissed off if UPS made such a mistake. They have auditors, accountants and other people that should catch the error and prevent it, so if $8.50 is my pay, it better show it on this weeks paycheck. But, for the time being I believe my pay is $9.50 per hour.

F

frustrated

Opie,

Are you doing essentially the same job ? {Pre-load, unload, sort etc.}

Or are you being moved around ?

Isn't there different pay scales with different jobs ?

T

tahoepickup

I don't know what the UPS policy is on the pay issue, but having worked at HR for another big company, I know that it is HR's responsibility to make sure that the correct pay is what's on file and if it isn't, responsibility is on HR department. They could correct the pay for future compensation, but can't (won't) take the overpay back... or maybe my previous company was just nicer than UPS

S

someone

Opie, there is no need to say anything. The pay you are getting is the pay you are supposed to get. UPS knows who you are and what you do, so they should know how much you are supposed to get per hour. Because how can someone make such asinine error? Something like this should not happen at a company like UPS. If for some crazy reason you are getting overpaid. Then, if you want you could bring it to UPS's attention. But, it's not your responsibility. You are not stealing from UPS. So any money you make they can't take. It's not your fault. If Opie is getting more money than he is supposed to, then it is embarassing for UPS and for Opie. As Opie will have to explain to his family and friends of why he has to take a paycut and UPS will look dumb for making such a mistake. I hope that Opie's pay is correct and not an error. There is a big difference between $8.50 and $9.50. Frankly IMO, Opie should probably quit the slave labor job at UPS if he doesn't get $9.50. There are many places that pay $8.50+ like Circuit City, Home Depot, Best Buy etc. Good luck!!

S

smf0605

tahoe - it's not that the incorrect pay is on file, but what can happen is the employee is coded to the wrong job (that is, the employee could be coded as an AM unloader instead of a PM unloader, the codes are quite similar). Preloaders do start at $9.50 and local sorters start at $8.50. If that is the case, it will get corrected, but it doesn't always get corrected immediately.

opie - I don't know why you'd be so upset if your pay is supposed to be $8.50, you are under a contractual agreement to get a certain amount of pay, not to mention, in an earlier post you stated that you understood your starting rate was supposed to be $8.50.
If you were being underpaid, I don't think you'd say that UPS doesn't owe you the money, why then are you so upset about a mistake when it's in your favor?

O

opie

I would be upset if the pay that I received from my last paycheck no longer is $9.50/hr. Then I'm going to have to explain to my family and others why my pay is no longer $9.50. Because for a brief time I was very satisfied that I was earning $9.50/hr. I thought it was $8.50, but on my paycheck it said $9.50. So I assumed that was my pay, then started to have doubts because it didn't make sense. So, most likely my pay is $8.50. I only earned an extra $5 for the one day, in a year that would be an extra $1200. I would expect this error to be corrected. If not, then my next paycheck if I'm getting $9.50/hr, then maybe I should bring it to the attention of my supervisor or maybe just wait till they fix it......So anyway, tonight was the hardest day yet. I loaded nearly 900 packages and it's going to get harder in the future. But the most annoying thing are those rollers, it's too hard to push them. Does anyone have any tips? Like what should I drink? Water? Gatorade? Any supplements like muscle building or energy drinks/pills, herbal teas, vitamins etc? Wear a back support belt? Gloves? Knee pads? Etc....

T

toonertoo

Dont wear a back brace, just lift properly. If you get used to one of those, someday you will be moving a piece of furniture at home, or go to pick up a kid, or a ball, or whatever, you will hurt yourself because you have become used to the added support, and it wont be there. JMO but unless you have a back injury, you shouldnt wear those, and if you have a back injury you would not have been hired. Freeze up some bottles of water while it is still warm out and drink constantly. Even in winter. Think of a steak....Rare is very pliable and moist, well done is stiff like leather. Same with your muscles. If they become dehydrated, they will strain, sprain or break, if hydrated they will move and flex. (I only know this from Therapy after an injury.) Gatorade is OK, but nothing is as good as pure water, and its cheaper. And after work on the way home drink another bottle. It also keeps you from being fatigued. Sweating is good, just drink more....(You will still be sweating when your hands are freezing in the bottoms of those trailers, if you live where it gets cold) But still drink all the time.

B

badhab1

Just a suggestion opie, after reading all of your posts, I would keep my resumes flowing thru hr depts. of other good companies. Just in case you know.

F

frustrated

What about gloves ? Don't people get cut a lot ? I noticed on my "tour", nobody was wearing them.

What is a good brand of work shoes ?

P

pgraening

Opie, if you're still getting paid $9.50 an hour, and you are sure you should be getting $8.50, you need to tell your supervisor. I accidentally got paid for Labor Day before I gained seniority and they took it out of a later paycheck because of the mistake. I don't think you want to have money unexpectedly being taken out of your paycheck...

O

opie

I'll see this Thrusday. If I am still getting $9.50 an hour and I'm not supposed to, then I'll bring it to my supervisor's attention. Badhab1, what do you mean? What are you trying to say?

O

opie

Yeah, I'm doing the same job which is loading and don't expect to do anything else. And I'm not being moved around and will probably stay on my belt for a while. You do get cuts and bruises all over your body. I don't wear gloves, but it might be a good idea to wear them when it gets colder. And maybe it might be a good idea to wear them anyway, I don't know. Maybe someone who has experience can give their input on whether work gloves should be worn. Yesterday was the worst yet, I had the same amount of volume as Monday. But yesterday everything came down at the same time and there were a lot of big boxes. I couldn't really build a good wall. I hate it when you get backed up and are snowed in by boxes. But, I am still hanging in there for now. I have some pain in my back, but it hopes it doesn't affect my work. I thank everybody for their input so far on this matter....

O

opie

Ok, so I do get paid $9.50 an hour. I asked my part-time supervisor and he didn't know, he said when he came here it was $8.50. But, then I asked someone who works on my belt and they said that yes we get $9.50 an hour. When I first came and applied at my HUB, Human Resources said it was $8.50 an hour, but I guess they didn't know. UPS must have raised the pay a while ago. I am loading in the PM and am not a qualified sorter. That means sorters start at $10.50 at my HUB. I will be getting $10.00 an hour in a matter of weeks, 3 months I think. I don't know whether other UPS locations are paying the same amount per hour. So far it's okay, it is cooler outside so you don't sweat that much. I hope that I will be out of loading by the time it gets hot again, I hope to get promoted or get a less physical job like sorter by mid-year of next year.

F

frustrated

Opie,

You mentioned getting bruises. Why not go for some shin guards ? How about some good leather gloves for your hands ?

M

mr_roboto

opie...have you considered becoming a clerk? I believe the clerk position is considered to be an entry level job. The pay is the same as unloader but the work is somewhat less physical.

P

proups

opie: cuts and bruises go with the job. As you learn the job, you will learn how to avoid them.

By the way, don't act like a "Goober." Go report the pay error to your supervisor. Hub loaders make $8.50/hour. The HR people were right. You can be coded wrong in the system. UPS will catch it, and correct it. You should report it before then.

Remember the Integrity policy HR covered with you in orientation - I think it is called Honesty in Employment. If you wait until UPS catches their error, the company has every right to question your integrity and toss you out the door. Get a grip - you work for a team now - be a good part of it - not someone who takes advantage of an error.

O

opie

The pay at my HUB for loaders and I guess all new comers is $9.50 an hour. I get $9.50 an hour. As I am not the only one receiving $9.50 an hour. So it is NOT an error. I did ask my part-time supervisor, but he didn't know. But, several fellow employees told me that yes $9.50 is the pay rate. Clerk? I don't really know what that position is and if we even have it. I don't want to be loading forever, so maybe being a sorter or some other position is something that I can try to reach for. Shin guards may be a good idea and if it gets very cold in my HUB then gloves would be necessary I guess. But, my HUB has heating, but I am not sure if the heating would be enough because of all the open doors and stuff.

O

opie

Also, I'm not a "goober" as $9.50 is my pay rate. Because, it would be unbelievable if UPS by mistake is overpaying everybody at my HUB. But, it is a fact that $9.50 is the starting rate. I don't know what other HUBS are paying, but my HUB is paying $9.50 to start. HR was out of touch, people were saying different things like you get benefits at 9 months and then some say 6 months, that we get one week of vacation after 6 months and 2 weeks after one year and then others say no I get one week of vacation after one year, I guess everybody is confused because last year a new contract was signed with the Teamsters and some things have changed, even my supervisor didn't know the pay rate. HR never covered any integrity policy with me. All I did was watch videos and break jams for the 4 days of 'classroom' instruction.

P

proups

Opie: you are being a "Goober." Loaders make $8.50/hour, sorters and preloaders make $9.50/hour. If all you are doing is loading trailers in the PM, and not sorting, you are being overpaid.

Just steal the money. UPS will catch you and then we'll see what happens.

O

opie

I'M NOT STEALING! $9.50 is my pay! You are wrong proups. Why then are other loaders/unloaders getting $9.50 to start in my HUB? They have been there for weeks/months. And the ones who have been here more than 90 days get $10.00 an hour. You think UPS is overpaying everybody at my HUB? NO! It may be hard for you to believe, but $9.50 is my pay rate. Case closed! Proups you don't work at my HUB. So I should have a better idea how much I make.