New hire here

F

frustrated

Holy smokes. I received a call today, to start pre-load.

My assumption is this is not seasonal, as my message said $8.50/hour, which is the starting pay of pre-loaders.

I must admit, I am a little nervous, as well as excited.

O

opie

Sounds like you got your foot in the door. Congrats. My HUB is hiring like crazy, every week they bring a dozen or more people on tour. My HUB starts pay at $10.50 for preload. Good luck!

F

frustrated

Well I found out today it is seasonal. I am aware of the fact; this may be a quick 6 week career. However, they did state, if I "work out" I could be considered after the first of the year for part-time.Show up on time and do it !

Question for the board:

I also have the opportunity, after my shift is over, to go ride with a driver as a helper. I don't know if I can commit to it, but some days I could do it. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I think I would rather learn the "inside work", and keep my performance up in that capacity, rather than dilute it, by being a driver's helper. { Of course I would be wearing those Brown duds, and the chicks dig a guy in uniform, and.......

Anyways.....I thought I would ask the vast experience,represented by the individuals, that make up these boards.

T

tieguy

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 12:36 pm:
"Holy smokes. I received a call today, to start pre-load. My assumption is this is not seasonal, as my message said $8.50/hour, which is the starting pay of pre-loaders.
I must admit, I am a little nervous, as well as excited."

Congrats. Bad news though everyone hired this time of the year is seasonal. It certainly can lead to a permanent position if you do a good job. Any operator would prefer to hire someone back that did a good job during peak then to hire someone untrained off the street. To be hired back the first thing you need to do is be there every day on time. Pay attention to what they teach you and do your best. Don't be afraid to ask how your doing. If you show your concerned about doing a good job that will help you. Good luck

T

toonertoo

I was hired as seasonal also, and it is a scary time if you want to stay on, but I was kept because I was willing to do anything. If you have the energy, and the time be a driver helper, you will gain valuable knowledge, that will help you be kept after peak. You will learn the importance of a good load, you will learn about tracking numbers and the used of the Diad, and did I mention you will have fun? You may be laid off a while, but doubtful because so many permanent people want vacations in Jan + Feb. One hint for the unload on Monday, dont eat a heavy breakfast or you will be puking, and take water. Have fun!!

D

dannyboy

In my not too humble oppinion, anything you can do/learn/perform to aid in the process of our work will be a long term asset.

When I used multiple helpers, the first ones i allways trained to do it all. I could put them out on the corner with a buggy full of stops and a clip board and know that it would be done, and done right. They would allways page me from the 2nd or 3rd to the last stop, and I would start to come back for them, after leaving the other helper with stops of their own.

Feed back from drivers that you help could very easily translate to a better chance of getting back on.

IF you have the time and the wish, be a drivers helper. It is a eye opening experience. Just try to learn what you can. It will help later in your career should you decide to stay with us.

And most any UPSers will try and help someone that doesnt know what is going on. Just ask if you have questions.

d

(Message edited by dannyboy on November 15, 2003)

F

frustrated

Puking ??

Thanks, now I'll be even more nervous. I pretty much planned on the water and a light breakfast.

I hope they allow you to get used to it, before they expect speed.Everybody says to pace yourself, and become efficient, rather then go gang busters and burn out in an hour.

Is the driver helper more of an on-call basis. Meaning if I can do it that day its OK, or is it more of a committed position.

P

proups

frustrated: just do it....and do it all....and do it well....and you will be fine.

By the way, now that you got hired, isn't it time to change your handle?

O

opie

Hmm...my HUB is still hiring like there is no tomorrow. But, I don't know whether these new hires are either seasonal or permanment. I wonder where these new hires go, they need people desperately in the unload. I had to do unloading for the first time ever on Friday, doing 4 trailers by myself and it blows. It took a lot out of me. I felt like I was being used, like a slave. I never really want to do unload again, I would rather do loading. Some people might like unloading, but it's not for me. Frustrated, I'm happy for you. You should register instead of being a "guest" here. When do you start? Do you know what you will be doing?

T

tahoepickup

frustrated:

Congratulations, you did it! I would also suggest that you try being a driver helper since what everyone else said is true, the more you know, the more you will be an asset to the company. It will help give you a different perspective and actually see the customers you are serving. Kinda makes it more personal, don't you think? It might even give you inspiration on those "keel over and die" days.

BTW, the women do LOVE the uniform. Next thing we know you'll be posting your own love connection on another thread

M

muncher

Enjoy your 6 wek career at UPS, because once the holidays are over it is a 99% chance you will be laid off. Maybe you will get a call back in a few months but I dobt it. UPS is quitly eliminating jobs through technolgy and foring people to work longer hours and subcontracting(ups basic)

D

deliver_man

Hopefully they will eliminate "muncher"'s job fairly soon, and he will have to find another another employer to provide a high paying, bluecollar job that he can cry and whine about.

M

muncher

It's funny, you want to make personal jokes about me, but you never dispute the FACTS in my posts, because it is ALL TRUE!!
how do you think UPS is going to pay for the PAS system? they said it themselves, by using less preloaders and drivers.
ENOUGH SAID!!!!

D

deliver_man

they said it themselves, by using less preloaders and drivers
Um, yeah. So? Are you under the impression that UPS is a charity? If you want a handout, go to Goodwill. UPS is a business, and making your workforce more productive (by leveraging technology to do more with less) is good business. I suppose in your neanderthal's view, drivers should should still be using pen and paper? The key to creating more fulltime jobs is growing the business, not hanging onto outdated technology while our competitors move forward.

M

muncher

we don't have the volume for full time jobs?tell that to the drivers working almost 60 hours now. At least you admit UPS is downsizing the work foece, wich means less new job openings foe new employees