New hire questioning

Hello All I'm a new hire from SoCal. I am just wondering how long the probation period will be? I started may 16.. I only missed one day due to being told not to come in. Also Is this considered peak? I'm only asking because i would like to quit my second job however fellow co-workers tell me to not do that yet due to me being not part of the union!Do they notify you when you make the union? My biggest fear is being cut if I were I leave my second job in order to focus more on this job. I am a college student so this job would tremendously help me out with my school schedule and internship.

542thruNthru

Hello All I'm a new hire from SoCal. I am just wondering how long the probation period will be? I started may 16.. I only missed one day due to being told not to come in. Also Is this considered peak? I'm only asking because i would like to quit my second job however fellow co-workers tell me to not do that yet due to me being not part of the union!Do they notify you when you make the union? My biggest fear is being cut if I were I leave my second job in order to focus more on this job. I am a college student so this job would tremendously help me out with my school schedule and internship.

What job are you doing? Whats its title? Where in SoCal are you?

542thruNthru

package handler I unload the trucks and shuttles in san Diego

Do not quit your second job. You will not be getting these hours on a normal basis. If its because you only want 1 part time job I'm pretty sure if you show up everyday you'll be kept on.
sketch-1591301697947.jpg

Now can you answer a question for me? What was your initiation fee to join the union?

trickpony1

Preload doesn’t pay the bills

But it does have "Cadillac" health care.
If he works the prescribed number of hours per year for 5 years he'll have a small pension later in life. I know…..it's not much but something is better than nothing.
If he puts up with the crap long enough he could be making gangsta money.

He did mention "internship" so he may not be interested in what I just posted.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Do not quit your second job. You will not be getting these hours on a normal basis. If its because you only want 1 part time job I'm pretty sure if you show up everyday you'll be kept on.
View attachment 298229

Now can you answer a question for me? What was your initiation fee to join the union?
i never paid a fee, i got beat up to join the union

watdaflock?

Keep in mind this is a job for you, not a career. If going the business management route in college, consider switching to the "dark side" and get into a management position at UPS. Would look better on a resume.
Looking at my crystal ball, looks optimistic. UPS can expect this "summer peak season" until the real one hits in November.

mathdad

Keep in mind this is a job for you, not a career. If going the business management route in college, consider switching to the "dark side" and get into a management position at UPS. Would look better on a resume.
Looking at my crystal ball, looks optimistic. UPS can expect this "summer peak season" until the real one hits in November.

Does management get tuition assistance?

The healthcare, tuition assistance, and late night / early morning schedules are the ONLY reasons I work as a package handler. The pay kinda sucks to be honest unless you can get a lot of overtime. I was making $25 an hour as a non-union flooring installer (and more for side jobs) before this but almost all flooring jobs are during school hours. I convinced one guy to let me work his side job from 8pm to 3am Monday through Friday. Neighbors called 5-O and I got booted off the job site first day.

5k in tuition assistance can be a huge help, especially if you go to a state school.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

The healthcare, tuition assistance, and late night / early morning schedules are the ONLY reasons I work as a package handler. The pay kinda sucks to be honest unless you can get a lot of overtime. I was making $25 an hour as a non-union flooring installer (and more for side jobs) before this but almost all flooring jobs are during school hours. I convinced one guy to let me work his side job from 8pm to 3am Monday through Friday. Neighbors called 5-O and I got booted off the job site first day.

5k in tuition assistance can be a huge help, especially if you go to a state school.
Keep in mind that if you go management, there likely isn't any turning back.
So you'll have an ~$18/hr job for the duration of your time at UPS.
Dead end career. And school isn't a guarantee of good income, or job offers later in life.

Driving is where the money is. And most guys with degrees are pretty hard pressed trying to keep up with the amount made by drivers.

watdaflock?

Possibly, but I don't know for sure. No doubt our healthcare is pretty good. Really depends how long you plan on sticking it out at UPS. Gets better the more years ya have in.