New Ice/Snow vehicle law

Thebrownstreak

...or a deer runs in front of your package car while you are going 60 mph....
Worst thing that happened to me was hitting a dear with a TP60 attached. Hit the deer going 68 on I81. Deer slide out in front of truck and i ran it over again, then the tp60 hit it an thats where the trucks got all squirly. It took everything in my power to not crash it into the center divide. Of course I was charged with an accident.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Worst thing that happened to me was hitting a dear with a TP60 attached. Hit the deer going 68 on I81. Deer slide out in front of truck and i ran it over again, then the tp60 hit it an thats where the trucks got all squirly. It took everything in my power to not crash it into the center divide. Of course I was charged with an accident.
How long ago was that. The company has changed their view on this.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
That happened to me once. A chunk of ice came off the top of a trailer heading in opposite direction and it knocked out my windshield. Scared the crap out of me.
Happened to me on Thanksgiving Day, a few yrs back. We were actually talking about getting the windshield replaced coz it had a chip. It was a nasty day out, and going down the freeway there was lots of ice coming off trucks. So we backed off. Suddenly this piece of ice, came flying and it was a rock, kicked out of a pothole I would guess. Right into the passenger side of the windshield, and it held it like a basketball net. First it hit the front and slid onto the hood, slowed it down some. 5000 dollars damage.

bluehdmc

In NJ you're supposed to clear snow off any vehicle, the highway signs even say something about it. Yet I see so many cars with the windshield clear, MAYBE the back window and holes out side windows going down the road. It doesn't seem to get enforced either.

We have the snowbrooms to clear the trailers in the yard, they can't remove ice that's gets frozen to the roof from melting in the day. This happens especially if the trailer get put on a door, loaded then put out in the yard in the evening.

P

pickup

Unfortunately, we have shippers who have trailer(s) sitting on their properties for days at a time. We show up to pick up loads and end up taking trailers back to the hub that have snow and ice on them. All of this with no devices at the pickup location to clean the top of the trailers.

over9five

Staff member
I suppose nothing will happen until a driver is forced to pay a huge fine. Then maybe we'd have to band together and refuse to pull trailers with snow on them.
As someone else said, aint no way to get the ice off. Till it vibrates loose going down the highway....

HomeDelivery

i'm not going to do this:

France,%2BBelgium,%2BGermany%2B2009%2B628%2Bcopy.jpg

or this:

628x471.jpg

but one of the hubs have a nearby ramp like this:

1029412.jpg

& i'll park the package vehicle next to it & grab the straight-handle snow broom/rake & safely remove the crap from the roof...

then i'll have a "dollar tree" broom in the cargo area for clearing the windshield & cabin from snow buildup

sucked in the northeast tonight; glad management called in reinforcements & we had a lighter load for this craptacular snowstorm (not paid by the hour in this division of FredEx didn't help either)

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...day-probationary-period.354572/#ixzz2r4uUtk8y

cino321

Give me a break. My package car sits outside and will have a sheet of ice on the windshield with no ice scraper available. Me and about 15 other drivers are going to sit around today while the defroster warms up to melt that ice off before we go anywhere. Usually takes about a half hour. Been doing this for years.

UPS really needs to get it together.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Give me a break. My package car sits outside and will have a sheet of ice on the windshield with no ice scraper available. Me and about 15 other drivers are going to sit around today while the defroster warms up to melt that ice off before we go anywhere. Usually takes about a half hour. Been doing this for years. UPS really needs to get it together.

Although I can certainly see where this would be frustrating, this is not what the law is addressing. The law is talking about chunks of snow and ice on the roof, hood, trunk or in the pickup bed which can become dislodged and either go in to the road or on to the vehicle(s) behind you. There is no excuse for this on cars and pickup truck----for those too lazy or unable to clear their vehicles running it through the car wash will do the trick.

Future

Victory Ride
Give me a break. My package car sits outside and will have a sheet of ice on the windshield with no ice scraper available. Me and about 15 other drivers are going to sit around today while the defroster warms up to melt that ice off before we go anywhere. Usually takes about a half hour. Been doing this for years.

UPS really needs to get it together.
Our safety comm. handed out ice scrapers this year. Just sayin

Indecisi0n

In NJ you're supposed to clear snow off any vehicle, the highway signs even say something about it. Yet I see so many cars with the windshield clear, MAYBE the back window and holes out side windows going down the road. It doesn't seem to get enforced either.

We have the snowbrooms to clear the trailers in the yard, they can't remove ice that's gets frozen to the roof from melting in the day. This happens especially if the trailer get put on a door, loaded then put out in the yard in the evening.
It's like UPS they enforce it when need be. If ice flies off your car causing an accident guess who is at fault now?

It's like UPS they enforce it when need be. If ice flies off your car causing an accident guess who is at fault now?

The one time it happened last year the driver was not charged.

We've had more cars claim to be damaged by old top seals coming off trailer than ice. We've been directed to scan the back doors and get them off if found.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Connecticut State Rep. Lawrence Cafero, should pass a bill to force that state to sand , salt and properly plow there God dam roads,then we will focus on clearing off roofs !!! This state absolutely sucks with road treatments !!