New National Drop Box Policy

Star B

White Lightening
But if theft from dropboxes is a national problem then they don't know who to trust.
GPS on powerpads
GPS on trucks
Locking down dbxs like fort knox.

It's one hell of a way to "ensuring that drivers are doing it by the book" aka "WE DONT TRUST YOU ANYMORE"

Schweddy

Balls
Does the db log a time when the main door opens? I think it does when the drop door is opened via the cable running to the top. Haven't looked at the lock mechanism much. Breaking into them isn't that hard, so not having a combo isn't really a problem imo.

Oldfart

Why get all worked up? You attempt to open the box. If it opens, you get the freight, it doesn't open, you don't pu the freight. That problem will fall on those above you. It sucks for the shippers but no reason to worry about things that you can't control.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Why get all worked up? You attempt to open the box. If it opens, you get the freight, it doesn't open, you don't pu the freight. That problem will fall on those above you. It sucks for the shippers but no reason to worry about things that you can't control.
Wow! For once, I actually agree with you.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Wrong again. Happened to me. Dispatch won't clear you for RTB if you haven't PUP'd the DB. It was hell loading that Dbox into my truck to take back to the station. Amazing what you can do when you're pi$$ed off enough.:censored3:

DeliveryException

I used to carry a giant screwdriver to pry a box open if i had to. Have heard of others using the edge/lip of a dolly to lever the door open. It tends to bend the lock a bit so only did it when mgr approved.

Oldfart

Wrong again. Happened to me. Dispatch won't clear you for RTB if you haven't PUP'd the DB. It was hell loading that Dbox into my truck to take back to the station. Amazing what you can do when you're pi$$ed off enough.:censored3:
If the PP won't open it and nobody has a working combo, you did all you can do. I used to place DB and unless they have changed, there is a 3 inch concrete slab under the floor to hold it in place. Not going in my truck.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You missed the point. It was stated that the combination would be changed AFTER giving it to the PUP courier, in effect making it a one time use. That strongly implies a complete lack of trust in your employee. When those who aren't trustworthy run the show, they believe no one can be trusted. Just ask Dano.

Therefore only dishonest people lock their doors every night! TA-DAAAA!

dezguy

Dispatch can clear me, or not. Don't give me the tools to do my job, I'm not sticking around till they do.

Been plenty of times my dispatcher, who is an absolute dick wouldn't clear me because they decided to go on a power trip. My truck still is able to drive through those doors at the station.

outtatime

Dispatch can clear me, or not. Don't give me the tools to do my job, I'm not sticking around till they do.

Been plenty of times my dispatcher, who is an absolute dick wouldn't clear me because they decided to go on a power trip. My truck still is able to drive through those doors at the station.
I've headed back to the station many times without even trying to clear through dispatch, for one reason or another. Have never heard one word about doing it after the fact.

SmithBarney

But if theft from dropboxes is a national problem then they don't know who to trust. Someone breaks into a box known for a lot of letters with cash. Who's the first one interrogated about it? The courier who pups it daily. But he insists someone else opened it manually. By keeping the combination secret only the courier scanning with powerpad can be held responsible. Demonstrates to customers FedEx takes security seriously too. And would be thieves can no longer pass the buck that someone else opened it. Or drop by before the regular pup to grab envelopes inside.

Why do you care? Use your powerpad.

This policy is all fine and good, and really should affect nobody...

EXCEPT for the one major flaw TONS of DB do not work properly or get fixed, I know of routes and one has about 5boxes on a route would not open with PPAD, service requests have been put in, yet nothing gets done.

So in theory(on paper) this is a great "security" policy, but it just doesn't jive yet. After visiting numerous stations, I've never once heard of DB theft as a major issue, in fact I cannot recall a single instance, it doesn't mean it other markets it's not. Either way it's a curious new policy that doesn't really affect me.

vantexan

This policy is all fine and good, and really should affect nobody...

EXCEPT for the one major flaw TONS of DB do not work properly or get fixed, I know of routes and one has about 5boxes on a route would not open with PPAD, service requests have been put in, yet nothing gets done.

So in theory(on paper) this is a great "security" policy, but it just doesn't jive yet. After visiting numerous stations, I've never once heard of DB theft as a major issue, in fact I cannot recall a single instance, it doesn't mean it other markets it's not. Either way it's a curious new policy that doesn't really affect me.
The one area of the country where it's likely to be an issue is the Northeast. Maybe other large metro areas like Chicago, etc too but my experience in a station near NYC was you couldn't leave things unattended for very long. Sr. Mgr held meeting once and said there was a thief in the station and they were going to find him. Turned my back for a few minutes and my company jacket disappeared. And that was in the late 80's. Everyone here has complained about the quality of new hires in the last few years. I was working in a station in east Tennessee in 2012 at Peak. A valuable package disappeared and everyone, including myself, who worked late the night before were questioned by FedEx security. FedEx can run background checks before hiring but that doesn't guarantee they can keep all crooks out.