New National Drop Box Policy

MassWineGuy

We were told the other day that corporate has started a new nation wide policy re: drop box combinations. They want all db's opened by Powerpad. If you need a combination to open one, dispatch won't have it. Your manager won't have it. Your Powerpad won't have it. They will have to call your station, give your phone number to the senior manager, and they will call you with it. The next day, the combination will be changed.

Is this the best that a multi-national, multi-billion dollar corporation can come up with?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
We were told the other day that corporate has started a new nation wide policy re: drop box combinations. They want all db's opened by Powerpad. If you need a combination to open one, dispatch won't have it. Your manager won't have it. Your Powerpad won't have it. They will have to call your station, give your phone number to the senior manager, and they will call you with it. The next day, the combination will be changed.

Is this the best that a multi-national, multi-billion dollar corporation can come up with?
They would NOT be calling my phone to give me a combo.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Sooooo, when the Ppad won't open the Dbox and a combination is unavailable, the only alternative left is to break into it, and then take it Out of Service. Awesome.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
All they have to do is change the combos but not giving us a combo shows they don't trust any of us.
At my station, they've mounted a secured metal box to the wall for our airbill batches, because apparently we can't even be trusted with those either. You know, identity theft and all. SMH.

dezguy

Up my way, all the Dropbox is have the same combo....

I hope they try that here. No way they're calling me on my phone to get their pickup.

dezguy

All of our boxes have the same combo, we can open them either way though they prefer the power pad
Can they reset the combo remotely down there? Up here, they have to send someone out to do it manually.

If that's the case, seems like a good way to was money a la paying someone to take the AC out of vehicles after they were purchased.

Yomama11

I'm curious if the code I know still works for mine. I typically use the PPAD so I haven't typed it in for a long time.
The code will no longer work after you open the dropbox with the powerpad. Thats why they keep sending messages to open all drop boxes with the powerpad. While it is sinking its also erasing the combination

Nolimitz

The code will no longer work after you open the dropbox with the powerpad. Thats why they keep sending messages to open all drop boxes with the powerpad. While it is sinking its also erasing the combination

Syncing maybe. I opened one today w PP, turned my back and it closed, opened with old combo still... This place is so friend'ed up they don't know what works and what doesn't.

MassWineGuy

I can't see this lasting long. When you need a combination late in the day when the sm is long gone, it won't be terribly efficient to have couriers hang out at a db for 20 minutes while managers try getting the combination.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It's not you they're worried about, it's the few who would steal from dropboxes. They make it bad for everyone else.
You missed the point. It was stated that the combination would be changed AFTER giving it to the PUP courier, in effect making it a one time use. That strongly implies a complete lack of trust in your employee. When those who aren't trustworthy run the show, they believe no one can be trusted. Just ask Dano.

vantexan

You missed the point. It was stated that the combination would be changed AFTER giving it to the PUP courier, in effect making it a one time use. That strongly implies a complete lack of trust in your employee. When those who aren't trustworthy run the show, they believe no one can be trusted. Just ask Dano.
But if theft from dropboxes is a national problem then they don't know who to trust. Someone breaks into a box known for a lot of letters with cash. Who's the first one interrogated about it? The courier who pups it daily. But he insists someone else opened it manually. By keeping the combination secret only the courier scanning with powerpad can be held responsible. Demonstrates to customers FedEx takes security seriously too. And would be thieves can no longer pass the buck that someone else opened it. Or drop by before the regular pup to grab envelopes inside.