New P/T Supv just trying to help his pre-loaders.

CentralSup

I did the same thing as a part time sup on the local sort. I'd help my employees who were struggling, often since there was no other help and they were always appreciative to get the help. One time a driver walked through and saw and started screaming at me. About four other hourly employees jumped at him telling to stop complaining and get in the trailer and help instead of just standing there yelling and doing nothing to help. He stood there dumbfounded and even started getting red in the face then walked away.

He never said anything again after that. It felt nice to know that if I help the guys out when things get rough they'd help me out. Regardless of if it was right or wrong.

Also I know I'm going to trigger some union buffs with this post.

Have a blessed night everyone.

Over disciplined0123

I did the same thing as a part time sup on the local sort. I'd help my employees who were struggling, often since there was no other help and they were always appreciative to get the help. One time a driver walked through and saw and started screaming at me. About four other hourly employees jumped at him telling to stop complaining and get in the trailer and help instead of just standing there yelling and doing nothing to help. He stood there dumbfounded and even started getting red in the face then walked away.

He never said anything again after that. It felt nice to know that if I help the guys out when things get rough they'd help me out. Regardless of if it was right or wrong.

Also I know I'm going to trigger some union buffs with this post.

Have a blessed night everyone.
Seen it plenty so okay you went that route good for you but be a fair and decent supervisor and remember that you were once like us don’t become arrogant treat us like the way you would want to be treated .. realize we are human and have families like you and want to see baseball and football games they are playing in ( okay that last statement was if you ever got promoted to full time in the next 20 years ))))). And we will respect you and probably do a great job for you

CentralSup

Seen it plenty so okay you went that route good for you but be a fair and decent supervisor and remember that you were once like us don’t become arrogant treat us like the way you would want to be treated .. realize we are human and have families like you and want to see baseball and football games they are playing in ( okay that last statement was if you ever got promoted to full time in the next 20 years ))))). And we will respect you and probably do a great job for you

I agree and that's how I treat everyone that I work with. I went full time about six years ago. That statement I described happened around eight years ago.

Over disciplined0123

Yea a lot of turnover now. I would hope you got full time .. I have a lot of friends that we all were part time together for 6 years or so and alot of them went that way and are now my boss or are in operations I went the driver way and we are all still friends . Well sometimes

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
it only takes about a year, or less if you're sharp, to become as experienced a preloader as you'll ever be, so it's kinda retarded for you guys to mock that aspect of his skillset

OP, don't touch packages unless it's to clear a walkpath so they can dig themselves out

if every pull is stacked out, well you're screwed i guess? if it's only a few or half, you could talk to your FT and PDS about shifting the lineup around to create more balanced pulls

your real job is to train people, everything else is just babysitting

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm a new PT/ Supv and I had a situation come up the other day where an air-driver (a union steward, whom I'd never seen before) threatened to file a grievance against me for helping my pre-loaders who were getting way behind while loading their cars.....several bulks came down at once. I've always tried to help out my people. If I see someone struggling, I lend them a hand to get them out of trouble and help make their day easier. I remember what it's like to have those days when everything is piling up and the frustration level is getting out of control. My guys always appreciate it. As a supervisor, I feel my only job, really, is to help them be successful and safe.....which is why it came as such a surprise that this person would file a grievance. He said I was taking jobs away from people.......? Can someone please explain this to me.
Don't you want to get promoted? Get lots of union folks mad at you. You will stand out to the clowns up the ladder!

Over disciplined0123

Don't you want to get promoted? Get lots of union folks mad at you. You will stand out to the clowns up the ladder!
Lol get promoted I am making 90grand full time supervisors start at 35 to 40 g. I know a 20 yr full time on car probably highest paid on car making 65g. Managers make over 100 and get stock based on how their center numbers are and now all full time supervisors must have a 4 year degree Not many drivers have that. I have only a 2 yr associates

WanderandWonder

Well, that stinks you encountered your first verbal warning of a grievance like that... That guy's a dbag.

Most times, the good supv's in this case and you seem like a good one, will help out up until break because drivers start to show up around 7:00-7:15. So then they typically just do other duties unless people start freaking out.

Also stacking inside the truck when there's high volume is nice because it's not outside but at least inside the truck, and it's helpful when you don't have a dock extender. I use to start at a rear well and kept it to the side so I could still load.

Nike

Best thing actually would have been to take the grievance. Get enough of those and they will eventually hire more people, the reason being is that if UPS starts having to pay out the grievance pay, it should in theory at least, get them to hire more people to prevent having to pay out the grievances.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I'm a new PT/ Supv and I had a situation come up the other day where an air-driver (a union steward, whom I'd never seen before) threatened to file a grievance against me for helping my pre-loaders who were getting way behind while loading their cars.....several bulks came down at once. I've always tried to help out my people. If I see someone struggling, I lend them a hand to get them out of trouble and help make their day easier. I remember what it's like to have those days when everything is piling up and the frustration level is getting out of control. My guys always appreciate it. As a supervisor, I feel my only job, really, is to help them be successful and safe.....which is why it came as such a surprise that this person would file a grievance. He said I was taking jobs away from people.......? Can someone please explain this to me.
your not allowed to touch packages unless it pretains to safety. It is what it is, thats basically it

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Lol get promoted I am making 90grand full time supervisors start at 35 to 40 g. I know a 20 yr full time on car probably highest paid on car making 65g. Managers make over 100 and get stock based on how their center numbers are and now all full time supervisors must have a 4 year degree Not many drivers have that. I have only a 2 yr associates
almost none of what you said is accurate just FYI there kiddo

and the thing about managers getting stock based on QPR performance is a joke

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Managers are always crying about how little they make. Why do it then, unless they are lying.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Someone once told me if every supervisor done 5 minutes worth of helping a day they eliminate 150 to 250 union jobs. Thats why he said your stealing.
Contract says you are there to supervise "not work"
Lastly the guy may have got sick of seeing you do it daily or he was just a :censored2:. As a steward I usually just approach them, ask them what they are doing, and then ask them to please allow a member of the collective bargaining unit to do whatever thier amswer was. I usually never have a problem or a dispute. They sometimes stop for a little bit and try to be more sneaky and thats when I just file.
Some sups no longer get a warning but some have earned it "to some degree"

takesteady

Someone once told me if every supervisor done 5 minutes worth of helping a day they eliminate 150 to 250 union jobs. Thats why he said your stealing.
Contract says you are there to supervise "not work"
Lastly the guy may have got sick of seeing you do it daily or he was just a :censored2:. As a steward I usually just approach them, ask them what they are doing, and then ask them to please allow a member of the collective bargaining unit to do whatever thier amswer was. I usually never have a problem or a dispute. They sometimes stop for a little bit and try to be more sneaky and thats when I just file.
Some sups no longer get a warning but some have earned it "to some degree"
I'm not a supervisor or anything, just a box monkey, but honestly I think a warning is usually the best way to go. In particular for supervisors who are genuinely just trying to help out. If it's a repeat offense or they start sending people home, then by all means file a grievance. I just don't have a whole lot of respect for the obese stewards who periodically stand at the front of the box line with a clipboard quitely filing against every sup who looks at a package. Like get real, that's not some selfless attempt to look after my interests or that of the union, it's a waste of time (especially taking into account the fact that pt sups don't make the hiring decisions) and a power tripping way to make a quick buck off the back of somebody else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Box Ox

I just don't have a whole lot of respect for the obese stewards who periodically stand at the front of the box line with a clipboard quitely filing against every sup who looks at a package.

That would've been awesome in my weak local RTW state preload. You're lucky to have it where you are.

pt sups don't make the hiring decisions

Good thing they're not paying.

it's a waste of time

Is it? Grievances every time and the staffing never improves?