New PC driver waiting on start date???

Hooner52

Hi, new member here. Just last week I completed the week-long package car training, and loved it. Now I'm sitting at home, just waiting on a call for a start date to complete my first 30 days. I'm going nuts. HR guy can't seem to give me a good idea on when we will start. On oast day of training he said we'd start yesterday, and now he says "probably next week". Is there usually a wait after training before actually starting the job? This is in Kansas City, KS.

A bit of background-I come from a teamsters background. I resigned my position as a car hauler with Jack Cooper Transport to make the switch to brown, and I'm SUPER excited to get going. The goal will be to eventually be a feeder driver, as I'm a 10 year Class A driver. I peft Jack Cooper because of CONSTANT layoffs, as I only got to work about 40% of the time. So, before my week of UPS training, I haven't gotten to work in 2 months. Now I'v quit my job tp come here, and I'm just sitting at home not earning again. Should I be worried? I'v heard horror stories about them waiting months before starting new drivers after training is completed.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The good news is that you're used to being laid off...
You are, however, starting out driving, so if they hired you off the street they may really need drivers. There is a lot that goes into training new drivers, and if you aren't the only one in the center, you may have a bit of a wait. Based on the assumption of their need for drivers, once you get started, work will probably be steady.

Hooner52

There are 5 of us that have completed training, waiting to start. I'm the only one hired from the street. (Had a contact that made a few calls for me.) The rest of them work preload and have no driving experience.

AlliSeeisBrown

I would just be patient. Something similar to this happened in my building. We had 4 inside hires and 1 outside. The supervisors trained the 4 insiders first based on seniority, then trained the outsider. Usually the first 4 days on road are spent with a supervisor. So they might just be getting through the insiders first, then get to you despite your previous driving experience.

Doggmann

Hi, new member here. Just last week I completed the week-long package car training, and loved it. Now I'm sitting at home, just waiting on a call for a start date to complete my first 30 days. I'm going nuts. HR guy can't seem to give me a good idea on when we will start. On oast day of training he said we'd start yesterday, and now he says "probably next week". Is there usually a wait after training before actually starting the job? This is in Kansas City, KS.

A bit of background-I come from a teamsters background. I resigned my position as a car hauler with Jack Cooper Transport to make the switch to brown, and I'm SUPER excited to get going. The goal will be to eventually be a feeder driver, as I'm a 10 year Class A driver. I peft Jack Cooper because of CONSTANT layoffs, as I only got to work about 40% of