New preloader - tips(?) + blowing off steam

Cementups

Box Monkey
Cover drivers HATE custom loads.

I'd say that's arguable. It would depend on the cover driver and how well they know the route. If I was a cover driver and got to run certain routes consistently, then go ahead and custom load. But if you're thrown out blind........good luck.

watdaflock?

My preloader put a 140 lb grill right inside the bulk head door recently, it was pal'd 84xx

so common sense isn't really common among preloaders, especially my last 2
When was it scanned? Possibly it being egress, it was sent down the belt to him at the end of the day.

Undertow82

I've had 6 days in preload. Day 1, I did my (3 car) set with a sup. Day 2&3, did the same set by myself and was keeping up, starting to get used to it. Day 4, someone called in - sups put me on a new (4 car) set at the end of the belt with a sup helping half the day, went OK. Day 5, someone else called in and they put me on a different set (heavy load 3 car), was completely overwhelmed and told them I wasn't ready for it to which they acknowledged and agreed (had 9 misloads). Day 6, someone went on vacation and they put me on a different set, this time 'splitting' at the front of the belt.

So, I'm a little frazzled by my current experience in preload. For one thing, is it normal to be swapped around so much? I've read some people get pushed around because they're the lowest common denominator, yet the sups have told me they trust me more than some of their more seasoned people (one of which has been working the easier first set I did). I have a hard time wrapping my head around that statement, especially given the cluster:censored2: that was day 5. Then again, trusting me 'more' doesn't necessarily mean trust.

I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for where I truly stand, from people that have nothing to lose or gain from bull:censored2:ting me.

My biggest question at the moment, is what is 'normal' for training? E.g., was I left to my own devices earlier than most?

My biggest issue at the moment is keeping up with the stream of packages coming down the belt. It feels like I spend too much time scanning packages, trying not to miss any for my cars and then I don't have enough time to actually shove the :censored2: inside.
I wish when I started I got to load PC's on day one....I had to unload trucks until I hit seniority. Of course I would rather unload than pull for 5 damn PC's like I did last week. Normal is 3 to 4.

watdaflock?

My biggest question at the moment, is what is 'normal' for training?

The only normal for training I can think of, every new hire will eventually get overwhelmed. Management wants to see how good of a worker you are.

If you continue having nearly double digit misloads, you'll probably be offered a PT sup position.

SixSidedAnomaly

I've had 6 days in preload. Day 1, I did my (3 car) set with a sup. Day 2&3, did the same set by myself and was keeping up, starting to get used to it. Day 4, someone called in - sups put me on a new (4 car) set at the end of the belt with a sup helping half the day, went OK. Day 5, someone else called in and they put me on a different set (heavy load 3 car), was completely overwhelmed and told them I wasn't ready for it to which they acknowledged and agreed (had 9 misloads). Day 6, someone went on vacation and they put me on a different set, this time 'splitting' at the front of the belt.

So, I'm a little frazzled by my current experience in preload. For one thing, is it normal to be swapped around so much? I've read some people get pushed around because they're the lowest common denominator, yet the sups have told me they trust me more than some of their more seasoned people (one of which has been working the easier first set I did). I have a hard time wrapping my head around that statement, especially given the cluster:censored2: that was day 5. Then again, trusting me 'more' doesn't necessarily mean trust.

I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for where I truly stand, from people that have nothing to lose or gain from bull:censored2:ting me.

My biggest question at the moment, is what is 'normal' for training? E.g., was I left to my own devices earlier than most?

My biggest issue at the moment is keeping up with the stream of packages coming down the belt. It feels like I spend too much time scanning packages, trying not to miss any for my cars and then I don't have enough time to actually shove the :censored2: inside.

Relatively new preloader here. I mostly have done slide work thus far, but I have loaded cars, worked smalls, unloaded onto the belt as well as unloaded bulk (probably counts as loading cars), etc. I report to the slide and then they move me wherever once they figure out what they need me to do.

Just be happy you're loading from a belt and not those stupid cages, the idiots at the charge dgaf about throwing all your pieces in the back to where you have to reach in and drag them out.

People try not to do that at my location. I used to do it before I learned better.

jeepupser

In my experience at UPS loading for about 2 years I got moved around a lot on my belt. They are probably not going to fire you for misloads, especially when they threw you to the wolves like they said they did.