New Region and District Managers named

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Certainly you are right that the top US operations person has been held by individuals of the same race for a while.

So, you assume that that was due to ethnicity being a factor in their selection..... If your assertion is true then...

I would guess it also must be true that ethnicity played a part in the fact that...

Every one of our CEO's were of the same ethnicity. Every one of our CIO's were of the same ethnicity.

I'm sure that there are other positions where the ethnicity has been the same for quite a while.

P-Man

And the same gender....

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
P-man,
You shock me with this response !!!!
First of all while our Top operations person has been black for the past twenty five years ---yes that is questionable --because the U.S. consisists of approx 12.5% black.
You have claimed that all CEO's have been the same ethinicity !! I imagine you mean white !! --Not how many Irish,Italian, Polish, German ETC ??? Since you lumped them all together --what % of the total population do they represent ???
Very poor comparison on your part !!

I t is very obvious that UPS has played a polically correct card with C.T.--C.D.--J.W. --M.G. AND FUTURE TO BE NAMED G.B. --all black as top operations manager ---12.5% of total population -----but 100% control of ops for over 25 years --PLEASE !!!!:dissapointed:
Whether or not you agree with P-man's point, that's a total red herring as people generally don't make those kinds of distinctions. It's black, white, asian, latino.....

And the same gender....
....man, woman.

pretzel_man

P-man,
You shock me with this response !!!!
First of all while our Top operations person has been black for the past twenty five years ---yes that is questionable --because the U.S. consisists of approx 12.5% black.
You have claimed that all CEO's have been the same ethinicity !! I imagine you mean white !! --Not how many Irish,Italian, Polish, German ETC ??? Since you lumped them all together --what % of the total population do they represent ???
Very poor comparison on your part !!

I t is very obvious that UPS has played a polically correct card with C.T.--C.D.--J.W. --M.G. AND FUTURE TO BE NAMED G.B. --all black as top operations manager ---12.5% of total population -----but 100% control of ops for over 25 years --PLEASE !!!!:dissapointed:

My point is this....

Bad things exist in the world.

Racism, Sexism, Quotas, Discrimination, Dishonest managers, Dishonest drivers, etc.....

Just because they exist, does not mean that they are prevalent, or are the cause of individual cases. Making the argument that an individual is in place because of those evils is poor logic in my mind.

I've seen the push to find minority candidates at UPS. I've been pushed myself. I have NEVER given someone a job or promotion because of their race.

If you believe that race is the reason MG got his job, how can you not believe that race is the reason that SD got his job?

P-Man

Catatonic

Nine Lives
And the same gender....
That will change as there are several women in the system now who can move into the CEO slot.

In reading through this thread it occurs to me that everyone is making the assumption that the cream rises to the top.
While that may be the case, it really is not necessary. Since Jim Casey and maybe George Smith, UPS has not been defined by its top leadership.
The top people are just filling a cog in the wheel of the machinery just like the rest of us and don't really drive change within UPS like a Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.
CEOs were put in place because they had strengths/beliefs that were supportive of where the Board thought the company should be going.
All major decisions at UPS are made by committee, not by the CEO.

Just my observations from the middle of the machine.

pretzel_man

That will change as there are several women in the system now who can move into the CEO slot.

In reading through this thread it occurs to me that everyone is making the assumption that the cream rises to the top.
While that may be the case, it really is not necessary. Since Jim Casey and maybe George Smith, UPS has not been defined by its top leadership.
The top people are just filling a cog in the wheel of the machinery just like the rest of us and don't really drive change within UPS like a Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.
CEOs were put in place because they had strengths/beliefs that were supportive of where the Board thought the company should be going.

You bring up something that is an interesting discussion....

Some CEO's are game changing people.

Casey, G. Smith, Jobs, Iacocca?, Gerstner?, friend. Smith, etc... Who else?

Should UPS go hire a game changing CEO from the outside? Of course, many here would say that since he / she wasn't a driver, that would be bad.

Personally, I think it may be what we need.

P-Man

island1fox

My point is this....

Bad things exist in the world.

Racism, Sexism, Quotas, Discrimination, Dishonest managers, Dishonest drivers, etc.....

Just because they exist, does not mean that they are prevalent, or are the cause of individual cases. Making the argument that an individual is in place because of those evils is poor logic in my mind.

I've seen the push to find minority candidates at UPS. I've been pushed myself. I have NEVER given someone a job or promotion because of their race.

If you believe that race is the reason MG got his job, how can you not believe that race is the reason that SD got his job?

P-Man

P-Man'
We have been over this road before --I do not have a problem with MG --I know how much you are impressed with him ---but I also know by UPS Measurement --the BSC--MG --had a very poor performance in his last district --Colorado. After being "pulled out" and put on a short Pld and center of the future special assignment ----He was promated to Region Mgr--fact like it or not.
My other point which you seem to fail to acknowledge ---12.5% of US population --25 years of operation control --SD --ME--JK--ON--GL etc, ectc ---Alot of CEO'S over the years --Irish, German. Pollish,Italian etc etc -----that you lump in as "white" Fail to see you comparison ---All CEO's have been white -----vs----all COO'S have been black ----% of pop vs % of pop does not equate !!

Cezanne

P-Man'
We have been over this road before --I do not have a problem with MG --I know how much you are impressed with him ---but I also know by UPS Measurement --the BSC--MG --had a very poor performance in his last district --Colorado. After being "pulled out" and put on a short Pld and center of the future special assignment ----He was promated to Region Mgr--fact like it or not.
My other point which you seem to fail to acknowledge ---12.5% of US population --25 years of operation control --SD --ME--JK--ON--GL etc, ectc ---Alot of CEO'S over the years --Irish, German. Pollish,Italian etc etc -----that you lump in as "white" Fail to see you comparison ---All CEO's have been white -----vs----all COO'S have been black ----% of pop vs % of pop does not equate !!
What are you guys belly aching about, from my point of view there is not a single "Union" representative on that board. You talk about discrimination, considering the percentage of our workforce that is under a collective bargaining agreement, got an answer to that? Yeah I thought so....:wink2:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

This being the case, their salary becomes even harder to justify.

Last edited: