New Region and District Managers named

raceanoncr

race,
Your comments, your opinion -no problem --every one has them. Just a few final additional comments --unless you were or are a District Manager I would be careful stating that they should "plan" their day better.
I am sure you plan what will happen on your job--driver, preloader, local sort, car washer or whatever--as you know sometimes things do not go by plan . Try to take a deep breathe and imagine you are responsible for everything that happens in two or three states ---all drivers,all feeders, all local sorts, all accidents, injuries , etc etc etc ------thousands of people. Sure you plan --but one --the plan has to be solid --including where you will park --and two --you have to be very flexible --when "reality " becomes the plan.

Geez, I wish I could cut and paste this on my printed feeder schedule!!!!!

OK, I'm getting off my A soapbox and transferring to my B soapbox now that you tripped the "reality" trigger. I DO go thru 2,3,4, maybe 5 states a week on my schedule. Does the company allow ME some flexibility? Local sorts, accidents, weather, traffic, breakdowns? You know how many times WE have made the decision to take a different route to avoid weather or traffic? Geez, that wasn't in the "plan". But you know what? We always made/make it. Flexibility? OK. Call Feeders. "What are you doing there?" Explanation. "Well, we didn't hear about that here!" We: "Oh, really! Well, we're only 800 miles away from you. I'm surprised you didn't hear about this". Feeders: "Well, you only have 200 miles to go. Can't you make it into the nearest center to change that flat tire?" Feeders: "Well, it's daylight here (3 times zones away). You don't need to get that DOT required light fixed."

You want me to got on and on? Talk about "plan"? I'm more than willing to talk about "plan". I'm more than willing to talk about "reality", also. But who gets their arse kicked when things don't go according to "plan"? "You have to be very flexible"? I was calm before but this REALLY hits a nerve! I have to be flexible? I have to "give" when something doesn't go according to "plan"? Like, somebody lost their parking spot?

OK, I just got stuck in a massive traffic jam on I-294 in Chicago and it put me 3 hours late getting into CACH. But, you know what? My wheels were moving an inch at a time so I couldn't charge delay time and my tach card showed I was moving the whole time. "Why are you late?" "Uh...traffic jam". "Well, we don't see anything here so it looks like we're gonna hafta take this part of the run away from you". Flexiblity? Hmpfff! No, I don't buy it!

You cut me some slack...I'll cut you some slack!

OK, I just got stuck in a massive traffic jam on I-294 in Chicago and it put me 3 hours late getting into CACH. But, you know what? My wheels were moving an inch at a time so I couldn't charge delay time and my tach card showed I was moving the whole time. "Why are you late?" "Uh...traffic jam". "Well, we don't see anything here so it looks like we're gonna hafta take this part of the run away from you". Flexiblity? Hmpfff! No, I don't buy it!

(Gasp!) You mean one of the desk jockeys actually had the stones to say that!? They`re lucky they can see the computer screens in front of them.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Let me know if you ever get stuck here. Im about 45 minutes west of cach and you can always crash on my couch. Plus my wife can cook pretty good.

island1fox

Geez, I wish I could cut and paste this on my printed feeder schedule!!!!!

OK, I'm getting off my A soapbox and transferring to my B soapbox now that you tripped the "reality" trigger. I DO go thru 2,3,4, maybe 5 states a week on my schedule. Does the company allow ME some flexibility? Local sorts, accidents, weather, traffic, breakdowns? You know how many times WE have made the decision to take a different route to avoid weather or traffic? Geez, that wasn't in the "plan". But you know what? We always made/make it. Flexibility? OK. Call Feeders. "What are you doing there?" Explanation. "Well, we didn't hear about that here!" We: "Oh, really! Well, we're only 800 miles away from you. I'm surprised you didn't hear about this". Feeders: "Well, you only have 200 miles to go. Can't you make it into the nearest center to change that flat tire?" Feeders: "Well, it's daylight here (3 times zones away). You don't need to get that DOT required light fixed."

You want me to got on and on? Talk about "plan"? I'm more than willing to talk about "plan". I'm more than willing to talk about "reality", also. But who gets their arse kicked when things don't go according to "plan"? "You have to be very flexible"? I was calm before but this REALLY hits a nerve! I have to be flexible? I have to "give" when something doesn't go according to "plan"? Like, somebody lost their parking spot?

RACE,
I do not need any slack -Thank you--I am happily retired after 36 tough UPS years.
You sound like you need some slack or least take a deep breath.
Sounds like you need alot of help just to follow a feeder schedule ???? Sounds like you are going to have a stroke --relax a little --smell the roses.:peaceful:

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I used to care about a feeder schedule. I would bust a hump to make up time, just so I could hit the gate at the anointed hour. I quit that when I almost wiped out a family on a very dark, lonely, stretch of concrete. Now, if anything is said, I tell who ever, you know what time I left the gate, you know how fast I drove, and where I took my breaks, and you know what time I got here. If I followed your plan, then why are you asking me dumb questions. I can't seal the trl, and I have no control over why other drivers decided to trade paint and hold up the rest of us.
I was once an hour late, and the preload had been waiting for me for 45-50 minutes. Just so happened that the division manger was down, and he, with the center manager, opened my door to the tractor when I stopped on the yard. The VERY first question was "Why did YOU take so long in getting here". My response? I have 3 hours and 20 minutes to make the run, and I did it in 3:19. If you don't believe me, you can pull the record out of the IVIS. I thought the center manager was gonna blow a gasket, and the DM looked like I had just slapped him. He backed up, and then stated"that might have been the wrong question. Why did Pdale hold you?" My answer to that? I don't know, except that the PT supe wouldn't let me leave at my regular pull time.
It just seems that sometimes any problems are the fault of the last person to do a job, no matter what the circumstances maybe.

raceanoncr

RACE,
I do not need any slack -Thank you--I am happily retired after 36 tough UPS years.
You sound like you need some slack or least take a deep breath.
Sounds like you need alot of help just to follow a feeder schedule ???? Sounds like you are going to have a stroke --relax a little --smell the roses.:peaceful:

Well, very gracefully, the monkey got thrown back to me. OK. Yeah, you're right. I'm gonna have a stroke. Thanks for not addressing the "flexibility" issue YOU brought up. Package drivers are getting warning letters for not turning in sales leads, getting fired for having a deer strike their REAR bumper, taking 2 mins too long on lunch, feeder drivers are dinged regularly for not making schedule (oh, yeah, I have a tough time following a feeder schedule, such as being allowed 3 mins to unhook a set of doubles, drop the dolly, spot the front and possibly the back), I'm the one that supposed to tell the PT supe to close the door (yeah, like THAT'S EVER gonna happen), but yet we're, oh, excuse me, I'm supposed to allow a DM some flexibility!

OK, you're right, You win! Your 36 years with UPS has certainly taught you great argumentative skills.

We'll, er, excuse me, I'll continue to watch these "busy, hardworking, finger-on-the-pulse, needing flexibility" DMs enjoy their "perks" while thousands of UPSers' morale goes down the tube.

island1fox

Well, very gracefully, the monkey got thrown back to me. OK. Yeah, you're right. I'm gonna have a stroke. Thanks for not addressing the "flexibility" issue YOU brought up. Package drivers are getting warning letters for not turning in sales leads, getting fired for having a deer strike their REAR bumper, taking 2 mins too long on lunch, feeder drivers are dinged regularly for not making schedule (oh, yeah, I have a tough time following a feeder schedule, such as being allowed 3 mins to unhook a set of doubles, drop the dolly, spot the front and possibly the back), I'm the one that supposed to tell the PT supe to close the door (yeah, like THAT'S EVER gonna happen), but yet we're, oh, excuse me, I'm supposed to allow a DM some flexibility!

OK, you're right, You win! Your 36 years with UPS has certainly taught you great argumentative skills.

We'll, er, excuse me, I'll continue to watch these "busy, hardworking, finger-on-the-pulse, needing flexibility" DMs enjoy their "perks" while thousands of UPSers' morale goes down the tube.

race,
I have been trying to be nice. I do not have the daily pressures you have and I hope some day you also will be happily retired.
Let me give you the BOTTOM Line --you have not even tried to understand what I was saying. You have problems with one feeder run --o/k you have my sympathy.
The District Manager that is in charge of 200+ feeder drivers, 5000 + drivers, 6000 to 7,000 Part -timers does deserve "more flexibility" than your one feeder run.
Bottom ,bottom line ---understand this reality --HE BOSS ---YOU EMPLOYEE !!!! Where he or she parks is really none of your business !!!
I in no way want to disrespect any hourly or UPS person --they work way too hard --but I have met people like you--hate your job, hate your mgr, hate your steward, hate your wife and even hate your dog.
Sorry --just the way you come off --enough said --wish you only good things --but frankly our "discussion" is over ---too many bad vibes from you --sorry !!! Hope you find some peace --life really is short and there is life after UPS.:peaceful:

UPS Lifer

Race,
Got to agree with Island. I have nothing but great things to say about the sleeper teams that worked in my operation over the years. They did everything they could to make the sort.... more importantly when it was out of their control they busted their butts to make it. There was not a prima donna amongst them and this conversation would never have come up. Bottom line - It is none of our business where the boss parks. The boss is the boss PERIOD end of discussion.

This has nothing to do with how hard working you are and how much you get pressured and how much you get your arse chewed on... It is just none of your business. Aspire to be the District Manager and you can run the district the way you see fit. If you were to walk in those shoes for a week you would have a whole different attitude.

raceanoncr

race,
I in no way want to disrespect any hourly or UPS person --they work way too hard --but I have met people like you--hate your job, hate your mgr, hate your steward, hate your wife and even hate your dog.

Well, you are also a very good judge of character.

No, actually, I love my job but, as one BCer has as their signature, "I hate what they do to it". Manager? Well, so far, not too bad. Have had worse, but actually pretty easy to get along with. Hate my steward? Well, THERE, you nailed it!!!! I am the steward.

I gotta say, though, the hate your wife thing was pretty low. She's the best thing that ever happened to me and I would do anything for her, so, thanks.

My dog? For a $20 shelter Jack Russell, she's the best little animal I've ever had. After my wife and son, she's my best friend.

You must have been a great manager.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager

Amen.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Race,
Got to agree with Island. I have nothing but great things to say about the sleeper teams that worked in my operation over the years. They did everything they could to make the sort.... more importantly when it was out of their control they busted their butts to make it. There was not a prima donna amongst them and this conversation would never have come up. Bottom line - It is none of our business where the boss parks. The boss is the boss PERIOD end of discussion.

This has nothing to do with how hard working you are and how much you get pressured and how much you get your arse chewed on... It is just none of your business. Aspire to be the District Manager and you can run the district the way you see fit. If you were to walk in those shoes for a week you would have a whole different attitude.

Sure it's our business - we're "partners" aren't we?

UPS Lifer

Sure it's our business - we're "partners" aren't we?

No it is none of our business ... Being a partner has nothing to do with it. If you are a center manager you would realize that the entire district including you works for the District Manager! If he wants a certain office or parking spot or what ever, he/she only answers to the Region Manager and the Region Manager is not going to dictate what parking spot the District Manager uses.

local804

Not beating the parking spot issue,could really care less,but there is about 20 personal cars parked around the building every given day at our hub. At some areas,the people even put signs "No truck Parking" so the car washers wouldnt park any package cars there and the employees park the cars there. Now I know there are not that many Dm`s here, my question is why do these people not have to enter the guard shack and get wanded like everyone else.I am sure we all witnessed in our time a center manager get walked off the property by LP.Just curious.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not beating the parking spot issue,could really care less,but there is about 20 personal cars parked around the building every given day at our hub. At some areas,the people even put signs "No truck Parking" so the car washers wouldnt park any package cars there and the employees park the cars there. ...
Those are the cars of management that will be running all the Air left once the drivers leave the building.

Cezanne

Not beating the parking spot issue,could really care less,but there is about 20 personal cars parked around the building every given day at our hub. At some areas,the people even put signs "No truck Parking" so the car washers wouldnt park any package cars there and the employees park the cars there. Now I know there are not that many Dm`s here, my question is why do these people not have to enter the guard shack and get wanded like everyone else.I am sure we all witnessed in our time a center manager get walked off the property by LP.Just curious.
The way things are currently falling in place, I would expect the CMs would be the first to go postal. Not that I am profiling anybody in this current politically correct/Mccarthyism country we are living in today...:peaceful:

raceanoncr

Race,
Bottom line - It is none of our business where the boss parks. The boss is the boss PERIOD end of discussion.

No it is none of our business ... Being a partner has nothing to do with it. If you are a center manager you would realize that the entire district including you works for the District Manager! If he wants a certain office or parking spot or what ever, he/she only answers to the Region Manager and the Region Manager is not going to dictate what parking spot the District Manager uses.

Uh, OK, I know I'm getting ready to have a stroke here, as somebody so eloquently put it, but just when, exactly, is the "end of discussion"?

Is it today? Yesterday? Or the day before? How many "end of discussions" are we allowed?

Is that like the FINAL LAST CALL?????