New Seasonal Driver Advice?

upsgrunt

I thought of something else.
Don't blow your wad the first two days of the week- save some in the tank for Thursday and Friday; you'll need it. Peak at this job is like a 12 hour soccer game, 5 days in a row. Your eagerness and ambition will by tried.
Also, apologize to your family now. You will be worthless on the weekend.

Foamer Pyle

I wouldn't say that you have zero chance of getting a full time job. I worked one Christmas at UPS, just like you, and 6 months later got called back for a full time position. As a matter a fact, 4 of us outsiders were hired back full time, weeks apart from each other. My situation was certainly not the norm, but it can happen.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I just completed my first week as a driver and I love it. It was way easier then I thought it would be. I use to do moving and I can honestly say it that being a package driver is wayyyyy better and wayyyy better pay. I started Monday with a on road and I did great and then Tuesday I had my on road and supervisor with me. I guess my supervisor wanted to see how I would do, well I did what I did on Monday but a better pace and more efficient. An I started Wensday by myself and I finished my route in 3 hours. I do businesses which is like a big circle with about 300 packages on the 24 foot Peniske. They added the post office to my truck on Thursday which is about 160+ which I take the UPS truck for that which fills the whole truck. An I finished that within a hour and then got my 24' footer and finished that within a couple hours. An now on Friday I had the same 2 trucks but not they gave me another truck in residentials which is pretty easy to just got to learn the route but I did it in a decent time. My supervisor told me I am doing a really good job and my on road told me he was going to put in a great word and told me to impress the supervisor if I wanted to get hired after season. I usually get done around 5 for the day. My question to you is am I headed down the right road for getting hired after season? I love the job and the pay is well worth it. I was going to ask my supervisor about middle of December before the end of season and see about hired after season and if no then I can start applying other jobs. Anyone get hired after season to be full time? What did you do to get hired?

ROTFLMFAO!

Are you for real?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just for the fun of it all, I did a quick search using the "search button" top right of screen. Guess what? A whole lot of things came up! Who knew?

fredscrubs2.jpg

UPSGUY72

I wouldn't say that you have zero chance of getting a full time job. I worked one Christmas at UPS, just like you, and 6 months later got called back for a full time position. As a matter a fact, 4 of us outsiders were hired back full time, weeks apart from each other. My situation was certainly not the norm, but it can happen.

Not the norm and for you that was years ago. There is 6 to 1 inside to outside hire ratio. These days that 1 spot usually goes to a casual that has been working at UPS for a couple of years or sometimes a PT SUP. These days your chances of getting hired on as a FT drive being hired as a driver for only peak are pretty much 0%.

The OP could get hired as a UPS employee but it will not be as a FT driver more like PT package handler.

Future

Victory Ride
funny-overconfidence.jpg
I just completed my first week as a driver and I love it. It was way easier then I thought it would be. I use to do moving and I can honestly say it that being a package driver is wayyyyy better and wayyyy better pay. I started Monday with a on road and I did great and then Tuesday I had my on road and supervisor with me. I guess my supervisor wanted to see how I would do, well I did what I did on Monday but a better pace and more efficient. An I started Wensday by myself and I finished my route in 3 hours. I do businesses which is like a big circle with about 300 packages on the 24 foot Peniske. They added the post office to my truck on Thursday which is about 160+ which I take the UPS truck for that which fills the whole truck. An I finished that within a hour and then got my 24' footer and finished that within a couple hours. An now on Friday I had the same 2 trucks but not they gave me another truck in residentials which is pretty easy to just got to learn the route but I did it in a decent time. My supervisor told me I am doing a really good job and my on road told me he was going to put in a great word and told me to impress the supervisor if I wanted to get hired after season. I usually get done around 5 for the day. My question to you is am I headed down the right road for getting hired after season? I love the job and the pay is well worth it. I was going to ask my supervisor about middle of December before the end of season and see about hired after season and if no then I can start applying other jobs. Anyone get hired after season to be full time? What did you do to get hired?

You've Got Mail

You finish your route in 3 hours? Where do you live? My route takes about 30 miles and 150 stops. Also you were alone on your 3rd day? I'm coming up on my 5th day and still have the sup with me. You must have a crazy good map in your head.

tadpole

if you're delivering a residential stop and it asks you reason for late air, you know you just made a mistake. Void that stop out, rescan the package, and tell the customer "sorry could you sign again? I made a mistake."

Re-Raise

We have had hundreds of these new hires over the years come on after their first week or so and talk about how easy the job is. Then they disappear.

I never remember their login names. Please keep posting hurricanes71. I am curious how your perception changes over time, for better or worse.

Dr.Brownz

.....Yeah, cauae trainwreck loads are just for the seasonal guys. Lmao.

Work quickly, but intelligently. Organize a section of the truck and work from there, repeat until the truck is empty.

If you can't find a package, look for no more tha 20-30 seconds. If you don't see it, move on, you can always deliver it later if you have found it

What I mean is the load will be random :censored2: thrown together. Nothing really coherent about the delivery path.

Our loads are awesome here, we have a driver sort and load, I feel sorry for all of you who get an underpaid box slave to load your truck

upschuck

Not the norm and for you that was years ago. There is 6 to 1 inside to outside hire ratio. These days that 1 spot usually goes to a casual that has been working at UPS for a couple of years or sometimes a PT SUP. These days your chances of getting hired on as a FT drive being hired as a driver for only peak are pretty much 0%.

The OP could get hired as a UPS employee but it will not be as a FT driver more like PT package handler.
As evidence here on BC, there are centers that have exhausted their qualified PT employees, if that is the case they can hire off the street.