New Seasonal Driver Advice?

Dr.Brownz

I would not want to have load and then deliver 400-500 packages per day.

No one here does that many. (Well maybe the bulkiest late starter route on a heavy day). You all work in centers/hubs where management doesn't give two :censored2:s about you.

The guys who do start early get the shorter routes that end in 8 hours (not UPS hours, real hours) or just over/under a bit. So essentially they get 2 or 3 hours of automatuc OT everyday. Some of the older guys switch with another older guy every week also.

Dr.Brownz

I just completed my first week as a driver and I love it. It was way easier then I thought it would be. I use to do moving and I can honestly say it that being a package driver is wayyyyy better and wayyyy better pay. I started Monday with a on road and I did great and then Tuesday I had my on road and supervisor with me. I guess my supervisor wanted to see how I would do, well I did what I did on Monday but a better pace and more efficient. An I started Wensday by myself and I finished my route in 3 hours. I do businesses which is like a big circle with about 300 packages on the 24 foot Peniske. They added the post office to my truck on Thursday which is about 160+ which I take the UPS truck for that which fills the whole truck. An I finished that within a hour and then got my 24' footer and finished that within a couple hours. An now on Friday I had the same 2 trucks but not they gave me another truck in residentials which is pretty easy to just got to learn the route but I did it in a decent time. My supervisor told me I am doing a really good job and my on road told me he was going to put in a great word and told me to impress the supervisor if I wanted to get hired after season. I usually get done around 5 for the day. My question to you is am I headed down the right road for getting hired after season? I love the job and the pay is well worth it. I was going to ask my supervisor about middle of December before the end of season and see about hired after season and if no then I can start applying other jobs. Anyone get hired after season to be full time? What did you do to get hired?

Some big time HR guy I talked to who hired me said he started as a seasonal and then got hired in February for FT. So yes you can but it all comes down to :"Does UPS need another driver?" and "Are there permenant PTer's in line for a job"

bowflex

My advice is if you can't find a package take a quick but calm look for it. If you can't find it go to the next stop and don't stress it. Also don't break ED too much unless you know the route like a boss. You can spend 4 min looking for a package and still not find it. When it turns up it may only deviate your route by 2 min so you saved 2 min. When going to a pickup you will pass many stops In ED but deviating will make the diad more confusing to follow.

Re-Raise

And they have disappeared again. Where are you monkeymind and hurricanes71? All of these new drivers make one post about how great it is and then they are gone.

You've Got Mail

My first day driving all by my lonesome yesterday I was out from 9am and got back to building at 9pm. Longest day ever. Had a crappy transmission where 2nd topped out at like 13 mph.

My advice: find all packages for whatever stop you're at. I had a few stops I had to come back to because **** was buried all over the truck. Next time, I'm tearing the truck apart because I'll be damned if I have to come back to a house 6 hours later when I found the small-ass package I was missing. Only problem with that is, it could be a misload on someone else's truck and you just wasted 10 whole minutes searching for it -_______-

And they have disappeared again. Where are you monkeymind and hurricanes71? All of these new drivers make one post about how great it is and then they are gone.

Nope, haven't disappeared Rerun, just don't have any feedback yet cuz I STILL haven't been sent out for what I thought I'd be doing as a seasonal driver. Instead, I've mostly been a helper... and done bulk deliveries and pickups. I started Nov 10 and I'm finally supposed to actually be a "seasonal driver" on my own (or with a helper), on Tues, Dec 16... 5 weeks after my first day... and a week before the "last day" of peak. But hey, I'm not complaining... I get seasonal driver pay for mostly being a helper.

But I'll try to let you know how it went... since it sounds like you were disappointed I "disappeared." A big thanks to the people who responded with sincere answers.

Last edited:

Re-Raise

I just completed my first week as a driver and I love it. It was way easier then I thought it would be. I use to do moving and I can honestly say it that being a package driver is wayyyyy better and wayyyy better pay. I started Monday with a on road and I did great and then Tuesday I had my on road and supervisor with me. I guess my supervisor wanted to see how I would do, well I did what I did on Monday but a better pace and more efficient. An I started Wensday by myself and I finished my route in 3 hours. I do businesses which is like a big circle with about 300 packages on the 24 foot Peniske. They added the post office to my truck on Thursday which is about 160+ which I take the UPS truck for that which fills the whole truck. An I finished that within a hour and then got my 24' footer and finished that within a couple hours. An now on Friday I had the same 2 trucks but not they gave me another truck in residentials which is pretty easy to just got to learn the route but I did it in a decent time. My supervisor told me I am doing a really good job and my on road told me he was going to put in a great word and told me to impress the supervisor if I wanted to get hired after season. I usually get done around 5 for the day. My question to you is am I headed down the right road for getting hired after season? I love the job and the pay is well worth it. I was going to ask my supervisor about middle of December before the end of season and see about hired after season and if no then I can start applying other jobs. Anyone get hired after season to be full time? What did you do to get hired?
It was more this post from hurricane that I was referring to monkeymind. They lumped your threads together so I commented about both of you not returning.

shafner79

I just qualified today. Started in October. Been averaging 50+ hours the last 3-4 weeks. Got d***** around for a few weeks in the beginning but then started to work more. I'm interested to see how much I can drive after peak. We have 90+ drivers (2 centers in the same building)

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I just qualified today. Started in October. Been averaging 50+ hours the last 3-4 weeks. Got d***** around for a few weeks in the beginning but then started to work more. I'm interested to see how much I can drive after peak. We have 90+ drivers (2 centers in the same building)
Learn as many routes as you can. A lot of us old guys like to take an occasional day off now and again so the more routes you know the more you will work.

shafner79

One thing I can say, is that I know the area really well. I was an estimator at my last job and along with working the field, I was all over the place every week. I also picked up on things and have been driving a lot more than some of my other co workers with similar seniority. I am hoping for the best and looking forward to learning as many routes as I can.

Also looking forward to a route with less businesses on it than my current one. 200 stops with 60+/- businesses makes for a long day. Not complaining though. Peak $ has been great and almost equal to my last job with 1/4 the responsibility and risk.

throwbackk

One thing I can say, is that I know the area really well. I was an estimator at my last job and along with working the field, I was all over the place every week. I also picked up on things and have been driving a lot more than some of my other co workers with similar seniority. I am hoping for the best and looking forward to learning as many routes as I can.

Also looking forward to a route with less businesses on it than my current one. 200 stops with 60+/- businesses makes for a long day. Not complaining though. Peak $ has been great and almost equal to my last job with 1/4 the responsibility and risk.
Risk and responsibility are very high here. Get hit at an intersection and you are :censored2:ing done. Get hit anywhere even when not inside your vehicle you are still accountable. Packages DR'd and come up missing. Your ass is getting rode. Too many miles. Ass getting rode. Not enough orion trace. Ass rode. Too many backs. Ass rode. Late air. Ass rode. Late savers. Ass rode. Missed business. Ass rode. Over allowed ass rode. Even when you do everything right, still probably getting your ass rode lol

LOL, Cool story. Well got word back that they are hiring 1 full time after peak. The building manager said this happens once in blue moon. An I am in the pool of the people they are looking at. Anyone got some advice on how to seperate from the rest. Should I look at being faster? Or what do you recommend?