New Single System

sadmanhere

i'm in the new York area and they are replacing vrp with single system.. from what I know about it I don't see it working.

any feedback on how it is working?
and any ideas why fedex made this change? I hear its to save cost on paper

It will be fine

i'm in the new York area and they are replacing vrp with single system.. from what I know about it I don't see it working.

any feedback on how it is working?
and any ideas why fedex made this change? I hear its to save cost on paper
It’s to facilitate overlap. Manifests will be more accurate with everything running through one system.

HD guys seem to hate it. They cry about loading sprinters, can’t figure out how to read an address label to find the right box, don’t want to have to sort an area during the day, that’s about it. They’ll get used to it.

sadmanhere

It’s to facilitate overlap. Manifests will be more accurate with everything running through one system.

HD guys seem to hate it. They cry about loading sprinters, can’t figure out how to read an address label to find the right box, don’t want to have to sort an area during the day, that’s about it. They’ll get used to it.

we sometimes jam pack our trucks to were the cabin is filled up...we need to know exactly where every box is to grab
we don't have the time to look through labels ...we want to see the marked sequence from afar to grab and go...

hd works at a much faster rate than gd....we do a lot more stops during the day and hour. most of the gd trucks here are half full...so they have space to look through labels. like i said we are jam packed we dont have the room or time to go through labels....

i don't understand why they can't make the whole system vrp...... i have had ground drivers come and help hd doing routes they never done before and they said they wouldnt be able to help out if it werent for vrp,..if it was vision there was no way they would have completed the route...

its not about figuring it out or reading labels....its about time spent...its much easier to find a box when you mark it in bigger font with your marker than to look at labels.....

MAKAVELI

we sometimes jam pack our trucks to were the cabin is filled up...we need to know exactly where every box is to grab
we don't have the time to look through labels ...we want to see the marked sequence from afar to grab and go...

hd works at a much faster rate than gd....we do a lot more stops during the day and hour. most of the gd trucks here are half full...so they have space to look through labels. like i said we are jam packed we dont have the room or time to go through labels....

i don't understand why they can't make the whole system vrp...... i have had ground drivers come and help hd doing routes they never done before and they said they wouldnt be able to help out if it werent for vrp,..if it was vision there was no way they would have completed the route...

its not about figuring it out or reading labels....its about time spent...its much easier to find a box when you mark it in bigger font with your marker than to look at labels.....
Here's a thought, fine sort your truck before you leave the building.

sadmanhere

Here's a thought, fine sort your truck before you leave the building.

im guessing you do not do HD in a metro area.......

vrp is faster.....i can fine sort my truck but vrp is faster to locate and load period
im looking for responses from HD guys not gd who have no knowledge of vrp

MAKAVELI

vrp is faster.....i can fine sort my truck but vrp is faster to locate and load period
I'm Express and fine sorting is faster than VRP.:happy:

It will be fine

I do both, have used both systems, VRP is a garbage program that deserves to die. I can work faster without it. Sprinters will be all but obsolete with an overlap contract except in rural areas that service few pickups. You’ll get used to vision or you’ll find another job.

STFXG

Vision works fine for HD. It’s not perfect on routing, but neither was VRP. VRP was a terrible and outdated system. Loading the truck isn’t a problem if you set your shelves and clusters correctly.

sadmanhere

again...how many stops do you guys avg a day? how many packages? we avg around 150 stops 200 packages
in peak season forget it...we do well over 220 stops and well over 300 packages.....

i dont see single working at all....our trucks are filled to the max..even the cabin is filled up to 20 stops...

vision/single.....is doable with less stops...you have room in your truck to move around packages and look for them

and vision/single makes it almost impossible for emergency help...for example a gd driver came in to help a hd route and he said he would have not been able to do 20 stops on that route if it was set up for vision...he had no knowledge of the area...but was able to complete the day with vrp...

STFXG

Your routes aren’t unusual or anything we aren’t dealing with. I’ve got trucks averaging 150-180 stops per day and are handling the new system just fine. If you struggle to cover then it’s a training/management issue.

STFXG

Also, the fact that drivers are being allowed to go out with their cabs stuffed points to piss poor management. Stop putting drivers at risk.

sadmanhere

Your routes aren’t unusual or anything we aren’t dealing with. I’ve got trucks averaging 150-180 stops per day and are handling the new system just fine. If you struggle to cover then it’s a training/management issue.

its not about handling it.......its about whether its as fast...

i see no PROS to this over VRP
i just see CONS

a big con is how its difficult to jump from route to route or help out a different contractor on a new route

i see no pros to it can you shed some of the pros since you're running it

STFXG

cargo is allowed in the cab if its tied down. get off your fedex highhorse
Right... I’m sure stuffing the cab with 20 stops isn’t restricting a drivers view at all or blocking access to safety equipment. Unless you’ve mounted fire extinguishers overhead I’m sure it’s buried in packages. And you’re full of it if you’re saying your drivers are securing it when leaving the terminal or after every stop.

Pros: No more garbage VRP
No looking for missing packages
Faster dispatch

Like I said. If you set up your clusters and shelf assignments then the loading in the morning is a breeze.