New trailers

UPS4Life

I haven't seen anything on here yet but I heard on the radio last night that apparently in Florida UPS is testing 58' trailers and 33' pups. Can anyone on here confirm or deny? It didn't give a center just said in Florida.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
When i worked inside a 53 footer was too big because the rollers or extendos couldn't get anywhere near the back of it. I've noticed here is almost all 53 footers now as I'm walking in whereas when i loaded them most were long but not the 53 footers. Now it seems to be the standard for longs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Any estimates of how many runs could/would be eliminated with the additional 5' of trailer space?
Prob not many.

Instead of feeders pulling half full trailers they'd be pulling quarter full trailers. The loads would have to work out just perfectly to eliminate a run.

Unless ups started holding packages but no our beloved ups would never do that. Lol

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Any estimates of how many runs could/would be eliminated with the additional 5' of trailer space?
Should get a fully loaded feeder to almost 3000 packages. You should be able to get about 250 more packages in there compared to a 53 footer.

Should be interesting to see. I know my home state considers a 53 footer oversized. A 58 would be a real treat.

I think I can count on one hand how many 53s we've seen in my center in the last two years and they were all during peak.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

None. It just doesn't work like that in feeders. Only low volume eliminates routes. From what I see, the extra space is more likely to prevent ADDING another route, than eliminating one. But really, I find it hard to believe that 5 feet will make much of a difference. Hell, a lot of times we can be a minute way from our start time, and dispatch can't tell us if they think our trailers will be full, or another one added.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I haven't seen anything on here yet but I heard on the radio last night that apparently in Florida UPS is testing 58' trailers and 33' pups. Can anyone on here confirm or deny? It didn't give a center just said in Florida.

Last year, UPS asked the DOT for permission to run 34' pups. Their application was denied.

Maybe Florida is allowing it. Might only be Florida right now.

UPS4Life

IF this is true I wonder how long until we are over weight too many times. I really wish for how intelligent our systems are we would be able to tell how much weight is inside the trailer/trailers. I guess they would be afraid of sending trailers out that aren't 100% due to weight.

HardknocksUPSer

This makes everyone's job that much worse.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

This makes everyone's job that much worse.
How? If you unload two feeders with 2400 packages, or one feeder with 2400 packages you're processing the same amount. The only person who it affects is the unloader because it's a pain in the butt to get rollers in there.

HardknocksUPSer

How? If you unload two feeders with 2400 packages, or one feeder with 2400 packages you're processing the same amount. The only person who it affects is the unloader because it's a pain in the butt to get rollers in there.
I imagine with larger trailers it would also bring more work, they would try to push everyone even harder it seems, everything I hear and see UPS doing isn't to make things easier on employees, long trailers require more work because the rollers/extender won't reach the back of the trailer, the trailer will hold more packages, and the trailers will be that much more aggravating for feeder drivers to pull, I just don't see how they would do this to make anything any easier.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I imagine with larger trailers it would also bring more work, they would try to push everyone even harder it seems, everything I hear and see UPS doing isn't to make things easier on employees, long trailers require more work because the rollers/extender won't reach the back of the trailer, the trailer will hold more packages, and the trailers will be that much more aggravating for feeder drivers to pull, I just don't see how they would do this to make anything any easier.
You still need the volume there to make the extra work though. An extra 5 feet means nothing if you can't fill it. If you can, fantastic.

This isn't about making it harder on employees (though I'm sure plenty truly believe it). It's about maximizing what one feeder driver can bring from A to B.