New trailers

HardknocksUPSer

You still need the volume there to make the extra work though. An extra 5 feet means nothing if you can't fill it. If you can, fantastic.

This isn't about making it harder on employees (though I'm sure plenty truly believe it). It's about maximizing what one feeder driver can bring from A to B.
You just answered the question to the whole situation, they are trying to maximize what a feeder can move from A to B, what's wrong with the feeders now? They do a fantastic from what I've seen, yet they want larger trailers? Why? So they can load more volume and work everyone hard, on the other hand, if there's a 5ft difference in the size of the trailer sure, it seems understandable in a way, but if you think deeper you will come to realize that for every 10 of the 53ft trailers a 58ft trailer will and could possible allow the company to keep a union employee from having a route, allowing them to keep from paying a driver by loading the 58ft trailers slam full

HardknocksUPSer

BTW I have no idea what feeders call their travel, I assume it's a "route" just guessing and clarifying I'm guessing. I have no experience in that department

UPS4Life

The extra length will hurt centers more than hubs. We already can't take long boxes because the rollers aren't long enough at some buildings I don't know if 5 more ft on a pup would matter. I know at my hub our extendos are finally getting upgraded so they can reach the end of a 53' there were a lot we had to walk the last 8-10'.
As far as volume goes it would make a difference in the hubs what would get unloaded quicker a 2400 piece 53 or two 1200 piece pups going at the same time?
Should all be interesting but out of all the buildings I've been to hubs and centers not many are too comforting with a 53'.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

You just answered the question to the whole situation, they are trying to maximize what a feeder can move from A to B, what's wrong with the feeders now?
Why wouldn't you maximize what one employee can do? That's just good business sense. It gives the company the ability to carry that many more packages, which means increasing revenue for no extra cost. It's free money if you can do it. And if you don't, oh well, you needed to load something in there anyways.

yet they want larger trailers? Why? So they can load more volume and work everyone hard, on the other hand,
Work you harder? So the extra 10 mins it's going to take to process that trailer is making you work harder? No. It's making you work a little longer. But you also are not doing it for free. You bet they do it to load more volume. It's more efficient. 1 58 footer vs 2 or possibly 3 pups. You're tying up one asset, vs 2 or 3.
but if you think deeper you will come to realize that for every 10 of the 53ft trailers a 58ft trailer will and could possible allow the company to keep a union employee from having a route, allowing them to keep from paying a driver by loading the 58ft trailers slam full
We are in the business of getting packages from A to B. Not in the business of providing more union jobs. That's part of the reason they do this kind of stuff. To minimize the amount of personnel needed while maximizing profits. It's called running a business.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I imagine with larger trailers it would also bring more work, they would try to push everyone even harder it seems, everything I hear and see UPS doing isn't to make things easier on employees, long trailers require more work because the rollers/extender won't reach the back of the trailer, the trailer will hold more packages, and the trailers will be that much more aggravating for feeder drivers to pull, I just don't see how they would do this to make anything any easier.
Unloading is way easier than when i did it. You had to bust it to do an hour trailer. Now with the entendos that go to the back of the trailer I could u load 1 in 45 min without trying

barnyard

KTM rider
I believe the 33' will be run in doubles. As was stated elsewhere on here, some states already allow it.

and right now, FE and Yellow, amongst others, are lobbying hard to allow 33' doubles and 58' singles. Pretty sure it was in either Monday or Tuesdays, Wall Street Journal.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Need to get this guy some UPS logos for his trailer:

Andy Beer Keg trailer-NC Western-.jpg

UPS4Life

and right now, FE and Yellow, amongst others, are lobbying hard to allow 33' doubles and 58' singles. Pretty sure it was in either Monday or Tuesdays, Wall Street Journal.
That's why I started the thread asking if anyone has seen ups with 33' sets yet in Florida because apparently we have them and companies are pushing for nationwide 33'sets

MoarTape

You can't even get a 53' off the door in Baltimore in some spots if it's between other 53s. I've seen jockeys have a hard time. There's one spot in newpa where there's no way you'd be able to build a set with 33' pups. I'm sure other buildings are the same.

UPS4Life

You can't even get a 53' off the door in Baltimore in some spots if it's between other 53s. I've seen jockeys have a hard time. There's one spot in newpa where there's no way you'd be able to build a set with 33' pups. I'm sure other buildings are the same.
I agree our buildings aren't made for bigger trailers but as far as the pups go who says you HAVE to build on a door? As far as 58' trailers in Baltimore if that would ever pass.... HA! Good luck lol

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Why wouldn't you maximize what one employee can do? That's just good business sense. It gives the company the ability to carry that many more packages, which means increasing revenue for no extra cost. It's free money if you can do it. And if you don't, oh well, you needed to load something in there anyways.

Work you harder? So the extra 10 mins it's going to take to process that trailer is making you work harder? No. It's making you work a little longer. But you also are not doing it for free. You bet they do it to load more volume. It's more efficient. 1 58 footer vs 2 or possibly 3 pups. You're tying up one asset, vs 2 or 3.

We are in the business of getting packages from A to B. Not in the business of providing more union jobs. That's part of the reason they do this kind of stuff. To minimize the amount of personnel needed while maximizing profits. It's called running a business.
Good. Less dead weight managers, too. Replace them with software that doesn't really work, either.