New UPS Driver question..

NedFlanders

I am about to go to the driver training next week and am a bit excited.

The only thing i am worried about when i start driving is that i am not too familiar with the street names in the area. How am i going to know where all of the stops are at first? I do not know what route i will be assigned, and am afraid i might struggle at first with directions. thanks for any help

Just do the best you can do. Buy a map and before you leave the center ask other drivers for help that know the area. My 1st year of driving was in peak an I had no clue what I was doing or were I was going. You will learn very soon. It is no way as hard as alot of these people make it seem.

feederme

area knowledge comes with time , don't worry about it. concentrate on safety, if you have an accident it won't matter if you know where you are.:sleep:

UPS Lifer

area knowledge comes with time , don't worry about it. concentrate on safety, if you have an accident it won't matter if you know where you are.:sleep:

Generally, a seasonal driver will be delivering in the same area for the duration of peak...unless you show exceptional talent at learning new areas quickly. Take the above advice, learn the methods, be safe, and everything else will fall into place.

Pickups

Know Before You Go.
Assuming your center has EDD now, the route is probably somewhat setup in order for you. Usually there's enough deleveries to where the next delivery will be on the next cross street. As for next day air stuff though, obviously those deleveries are more spread out. I have never owned a map book myself. I just use my pda/cell phone with mapping software (windows mobile phone with pocket streets software). I would plot out my NDA stuff on my phone and that worked fine. Then the ground generally didn't need a map. Maybe plot out some of your pickups on phone too. But many centers will have maping software on their computers that you can use to print out a zoomed in map of the are you will be in on that route. And of course, once you get your own route, use my PackagePickup.com web site! Hope this helps.