New Video! The Great Lunch Debate!

Cowboy Mac

Another thing is with the dynamic Orion, lunch is “planned” into the route. So if you don’t take a lunch it will have you getting to your pickups an hour early.

So take a lunch, follow Orion, and make more money.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The steward told them to stop. The BA threatened to fine them. They would end up coming in early to sort their trucks again.
These were my absolute favorite grievances to file as it infuriated both Management and the Runner Gunners. I filed to be Paid for Time and made quite a few bucks from their labor

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
These were my absolute favorite grievances to file as it infuriated both Management and the Runner Gunners. I filed to be Paid for Time and made quite a few bucks from their labor
I was merciless for a time. It just pissed me off that guys were doing that. Some were pretty senior drivers too!

Overpaid Union Thug

I guarantee those drivers were immediately working for free during their lunches the same days you filed. I think, in theory, it’s possible to file on that as well. Working off the clock is working off the clock. Regardless of where it happens.

Stewards and/or BAs should probably do an occasional audit by requesting delivery records for each center. It’s kind of a big deal in regards to loss of jobs (for the union) and potential injuries while “on lunch” for the company. Not to mention a contract violation.

Hot Carl

The main problem with this in our center is guys driving back to the building on their lunch break. That typically earns a warning letter from our center manager, so I've never seen anyone fired for lunch running.

Shorts365

I don't understand how you guys got the math of leaving money on the table by not taking lunch. If lunch is unpaid, how are you losing money by not taking it? Working 9:00 to 17:00 and skipping lunch gets you paid 8 hours straight time. Working 9:00 to 17:30 and taking lunch gets you paid 8 hours straight time. Am I missing something? Does overtime kick in after 8 hours of paid work? Or does it kick in 8 hours after you clock in? Similarly, I was under the impression that the unpaid lunch break didn't count towards 9.5. In my experience skipping your lunch does indeed get you off that much earlier. Management isn't going to give me less stops if I start taking lunch regularly; they're just going to say "save your resis for after you drop air," and we all know how much fun climbing over pickup volume is. I don't begrudge drivers who take lunch everyday. I prefer to not to take a lunch, but its not the hill I want to die on, (and obviously I'll take lunch if there's a sufficient gap before/between pick ups- I'm not going down for theft of time!) In our building "all drivers must take a lunch" is a flavor of the month, and is kind of a joke because some pure commercial routes as currently dispatched would impossible to complete if a lunch were to be taken, and since those drivers can't take a lunch, management can't discipline other drivers for not taking lunch. Thanks for the videos and any follow up.

542thruNthru

"all drivers must take a lunch" is a flavor of the month, and is kind of a joke because some pure commercial routes as currently dispatched would impossible to complete if a lunch were to be taken, and since those drivers can't take a lunch, management can't discipline other drivers for not taking lunch. Thanks for the videos and any follow up.
There is your answer. That's the company taking advantage of all the lunch skippers. Those driver's have too much work/pick ups. Also if you have pick up volume and you're bringing it back 30min/1hour later everyday. Management is going to start to feel that. The numbers start to add up and emails start to fly.

Everyone should take a lunch. The rules apply to everyone. Resi, commercial or whatever.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There is your answer. That's the company taking advantage of all the lunch skippers. Those driver's have too much work/pick ups. Also if you have pick up volume and you're bringing it back 30min/1hour later everyday. Management is going to start to feel that. The numbers start to add up and emails start to fly.

Everyone should take a lunch. The rules apply to everyone. Resi, commercial or whatever.
If every driver were forced to take a 30 minute meal and any breaks they get the company would have to put in thousand(s) of new routes nationwide…I think this is a huge problem and most people don’t know how widespread it actually is…diad needs to go to sleep and you can’t look at it at all until your lunch is over..anyone who is delivering during lunch gets one warning then is gone. Anyone who takes their lunch on the drive to or from their route gets one warning then is gone…

Manifesto

If you're saving your resis till after air drop and having to climb over pickups, you are obviously going to get more overtime. I only have one pickup and mainly country after some morning commercial so if I wanted to it would be easy to skip my lunch, but I take it every single day. It's good to refresh yourself during the day and I'm having to break trace a bit to find a bathroom and a place to eat so that adds a little time in itself. My route was cut recently and I was on something different. Messaged the building and told them I wouldn't be able to take my lunch and get all the pickups. They took some pickups away. It's not that hard.

Iamsomebody

I don't understand how you guys got the math of leaving money on the table by not taking lunch. If lunch is unpaid, how are you losing money by not taking it? Working 9:00 to 17:00 and skipping lunch gets you paid 8 hours straight time. Working 9:00 to 17:30 and taking lunch gets you paid 8 hours straight time. Am I missing something? Does overtime kick in after 8 hours of paid work? Or does it kick in 8 hours after you clock in? Similarly, I was under the impression that the unpaid lunch break didn't count towards 9.5. In my experience skipping your lunch does indeed get you off that much earlier. Management isn't going to give me less stops if I start taking lunch regularly; they're just going to say "save your resis for after you drop air," and we all know how much fun climbing over pickup volume is. I don't begrudge drivers who take lunch everyday. I prefer to not to take a lunch, but its not the hill I want to die on, (and obviously I'll take lunch if there's a sufficient gap before/between pick ups- I'm not going down for theft of time!) In our building "all drivers must take a lunch" is a flavor of the month, and is kind of a joke because some pure commercial routes as currently dispatched would impossible to complete if a lunch were to be taken, and since those drivers can't take a lunch, management can't discipline other drivers for not taking lunch. Thanks for the videos and any follow up.
In my building if you don't take it they edit your time card and steal an hour from you. I'm guessing one of the lunch skippers finally got the balls to write a grievance because now we're getting messages reminding driver's to "put a lunch in their board".