New Video! The Great Lunch Debate!

Appvol

Just wondering what some your start times are for some of you. I run a satellite route so if I take a hour lunch my 9/5 would be 8:30pm a 10hr day is 9pm with a hour lunch. My route is about all residential might have 15 business stops a day. I don’t take a hour lunch. When they force lunch I’ll take some until they say take more. One thing that drives me crazy is there is no language in the contract for satellite routes.Why is that @RoswellHub.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
Just wondering what some your start times are for some of you. I run a satellite route so if I take a hour lunch my 9/5 would be 8:30pm a 10hr day is 9pm with a hour lunch. My route is about all residential might have 15 business stops a day. I don’t take a hour lunch. When they force lunch I’ll take some until they say take more. One thing that drives me crazy is there is no language in the contract for satellite routes.Why is that @RoswellHub.
What, satellite is a regular driver. Or do you want your own rules?

542thruNthru

One thing that drives me crazy is there is no language in the contract for satellite routes.Why is that @RoswellHub.
Have you been to or submitted contract proposals in the past?

I'm assuming there isn't much language because it's a minority of the workforce and like most members probably doesn't speak up much either.

Ou812fu

Have you been to or submitted contract proposals in the past?

I'm assuming there isn't much language because it's a minority of the workforce and like most members probably doesn't speak up much either.
Are they not covered under regular drivers? I have people that hate when I knock on doors after 10, not to mention door bells. They usually call the cops and the cops tell me to leave.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Are they not covered under regular drivers? I have people that hate when I knock on doors after 10, not to mention door bells. They usually call the cops and the cops tell me to leave.
No knock, no ring. The quieter the better I always said. If they didn’t hear the truck, they’re not really interested.

542thruNthru

They are covered with some exceptions I believe. It's a difficult position to put language on since they are satellite centers and get their volume so late.

Ou812fu

No knock, no ring. The quieter the better I always said. If they didn’t hear the truck, they’re not really interested.
Then take this as you will, if you are out past 9:30. Not saying you, but just if. Keep ringing those door bells and knocking on doors. They will not keep you out past a certain time once the calls come rolling in.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Then take this as you will, if you are out past 9:30. Not saying you, but just if. Keep ringing those door bells and knocking on doors. They will not keep you out past a certain time once the calls come rolling in.
Never really had that problem to often.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Nothing better than ringing the door bell and knocking on the door at 2130 to get a signature

tramtwo

don't forget the method of blowing your horn as your approach and blowing your horn when you leave

Whither

Scofflaw
In my building if you don't take it they edit your time card and steal an hour from you. I'm guessing one of the lunch skippers finally got the balls to write a grievance because now we're getting messages reminding driver's to "put a lunch in their board".
While you should be taking your lunch, if the company is falsifying timecards like that at your building, that's absolutely illegal -- it's called wage theft -- and you should talk with an attorney. UPS lost a class action lawsuit over this back in the "aughts".

Cowboy Mac

don't forget the method of blowing your horn as your approach and blowing your horn when you leave
100 percent. Follow the methods at all times, day and night.
Nothing better than ringing the door bell and knocking on the door at 2130 to get a signature
And then they answer the door all upset that you woke them up. I flat out told one lady “I’m not out here working past 10 because I want to be, I’m out here because YOU ordered this stuff. So are you signing or are you refusing this package?”

Iamsomebody

How are you at a stop long enough for the cops to show up and tell you to leave after being called?

Hot Carl

There is your answer. That's the company taking advantage of all the lunch skippers. Those driver's have too much work/pick ups. Also if you have pick up volume and you're bringing it back 30min/1hour later everyday. Management is going to start to feel that. The numbers start to add up and emails start to fly.

Everyone should take a lunch. The rules apply to everyone. Resi, commercial or whatever.
This is a major issue in my center. As a cover driver, I know a lot of different routes, including the bulky, industrial ones where you're backing up to loading docks all day. I can count on one hand the number of routes I know where it's feasible to take lunch mid-day and still make service on everything.

There's one route in particular that is effectively impossible to service as currently dispatched, even without taking lunch until you finish. Very high piece count, terrible area. The air manifest alone isn't possible to complete on time, the businesses run straight into the pickups, and the pickups run all the way to your air meet (yeah, you'll need it). If you're lucky, you just might have a gap in between your last business and your first pickup where you can go knock out the apartments real quick. And even after the air meet there's two schools sitting in the middle of the last two subdivisions at the end of the route that will be dark and empty by the time you'll get there.

It's the only route I've ever run that is completely customized from start to finish for one driver to milk the clock and max out his hours every week. And if the load is even remotely suspect, the whole day is a disaster.

Any time the bid driver is on vacation, the plan is to just hold the line until he gets back. Management will do absolutely anything they can to avoid putting another route over there. Very frustrating.

Last edited: