New video! Unreported accidents, a job killer!

DriverNerd

You summed it up right at the beginning: report any accident immediately. Yet it still happens so often that you had to make a video about it. I get being nervous about reporting an accident - nobody wants to make that call, but it just has to be done.

My personal story: I took out a mailbox during a snow storm (the dreaded 2 mph slide on ice that feels like slow motion but nothing you can do to stop it). I barely hit it, but the post was rotted enough to just snap. Left a teeny tiny scratch on the truck you wouldn't have been able to make out over any of the other scratches already there. Not a single soul outside (snow storm remember). I could've easily drove away.

But, what if there was a camera or someone watching from their window? I reported it, got a "that was naughty" speech, and a ride along the next day. Never heard another word about it. I call tell that story today because I still have a job.

RoswellHub

You summed it up right at the beginning: report any accident immediately. Yet it still happens so often that you had to make a video about it. I get being nervous about reporting an accident - nobody wants to make that call, but it just has to be done.

My personal story: I took out a mailbox during a snow storm (the dreaded 2 mph slide on ice that feels like slow motion but nothing you can do to stop it). I barely hit it, but the post was rotted enough to just snap. Left a teeny tiny scratch on the truck you wouldn't have been able to make out over any of the other scratches already there. Not a single soul outside (snow storm remember). I could've easily drove away.

But, what if there was a camera or someone watching from their window? I reported it, got a "that was naughty" speech, and a ride along the next day. Never heard another word about it. I call tell that story today because I still have a job.
Funny thing is I actually had the same thing happen to me. I slid into a mailbox going 2 mph and there is nothing you can do about it. I have actually called in because I ran over someone's rock and broke it. Funny thing is it was a nice rock and wasn't going to risk it.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
here it's fall leaves that have not been picked up. you can get a nasty 10 foot skid going down on rotting leaves. Not me, witnessed as a driver helper twice. one of them may or may not have snapped a tree branch in the process

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In the Central Region Supplement this issue is two-fold.

First is the accident and the failure to report it (which implies dishonesty)....

....then secondly is the caveat "or should have had knowledge of".

Screenshot_20220726-220240_Office.jpg

So even if you are successful convincing the Company (or a Panel) that you didn't have knowledge of the accident, you still have to explain how and why you didn't see, feel or hear what happened.

....then ultimately explain why it will never happen again.

It's quite the rabbit hole to try and climb out of.

RoswellHub

First is the accident and the failure to report it (which implies dishonesty)....

View attachment 393583

So even if you are successful convincing the Company (or a Panel) that you didn't have knowledge of the accident, you still have to explain how and why you didn't see, feel or hear what happened.

That is pretty interesting. How they come up with this stuff is beyond logic. Mind if I mention this in a future video?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

View attachment 393583

Often, we get blamed even thought a whole slew of delivery people are servicing the community. Property damage blaming is a biggie. Mailboxes/driveway damage being most common.

ezgif-1-77c16373c574-gif.287081

oldngray

nowhere special
Often, we get blamed even thought a whole slew of delivery people are servicing the community. Property damage blaming is a biggie. Mailboxes/driveway damage being most common.

ezgif-1-77c16373c574-gif.287081
Because everyone knows UPS has deep pockets and will usually pay nuisance claims to have them go away

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Because everyone knows UPS has deep pockets and will usually pay nuisance claims to have them go away
One thing I will say, the sups try hard not to blame a driver as to avoid getting heat themselves. Drivers usually dig their own hole.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That little caveat was added to the Central Region language on August 1, 1993.

I'm trying to remember who the IBT General President was (?).... and it wasn't Hoffa.

:biggrin:
....and the General President would not have been directly involved with regional supplemental negotiations either?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
....and the General President would not have been directly involved with regional supplemental negotiations either?

I would agree with that.

But.... (and it's a big butt ;)) it happened under his watch.

Just as I am sure, he wasn't involved with the National air committee negotiations.

Yet, that was the contract where all those "improvements" were made.

The ones we still live with (and bitch about) today.

Just say'n....

Hot Carl

We had a guy run over a sprinkler a few weeks ago. Customer told him to not worry about it. He didn't listen and called it in. He probably still has a job for that reason.

With these new in-cab cameras being installed now, I suspect our frequency of reported accidents is about to skyrocket.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a guy run over a sprinkler a few weeks ago. Customer told him to not worry about it. He didn't listen and called it in. He probably still has a job for that reason.

With these new in-cab cameras being installed now, I suspect our frequency of reported accidents is about to skyrocket.
Are the cameras both inward and outward facing? Did the customer change their mind and call in about the damaged sprinkler?

I do agree with you that there will be a marked increase in the number of reported accidents due to the cameras, which are primarily there to monitor the drivers behavior while behind the wheel (texting, scrolling through DIAD, rude/unprofessional behavior, eyes ahead of car....).