New video! Unreported accidents, a job killer!

qdg2

Also I will say I’ve been involved in quite a few cases were cameras that do not belong to UPS were used and they can be used at liberty those are the cameras people should be worried about. If you’re doing dumb stuff on route there’s a camera somewhere watching you I’m certain.
+
I’m not advocating for people to do things they should not I’m also not advocating for UPS to use technology in a non-contractual way. My responsibility is to the member.
Well...now I'm confused.

Some cameras are ok but some not.

So, say the in cab camera exonerated you.....but company could say "nope'....we'll use Amazon's?

Thebrownblob

+

Well...now I'm confused.

So, say the in cab camera exonerated you.....but company could say "nope'....we'll use Amazon's?
The contract says nothing about cameras that don’t belong to UPS only technology UPS has in place. You have not been paying attention for very long, they’ve been using peoples camera phones ring doorbells and so on for years. Every panel I go to has at least one such case with differing outcomes.

qdg2

Well I would advise you to say I don’t remember, because if you’re anything like me the chances are you actually don’t remember. Everything is not as black-and-white as you would like to make it.
Fair enough......fact is fact though. Truth etc. It happened or it didn't. But now you are introducing conspiracy.

My point-I guarantee in time......it will be in beautiful living color.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Ok....so it can be used for discipline.

Running a stop sign and not admitting it is lying.....right? You were being dishonest.....

So, a good steward can get you out of it.....how? Invoke the what?

Well I would advise you to say I don’t remember, because if you’re anything like me the chances are you actually don’t remember. Everything is not as black-and-white as you would like to make it.
I was actually just quoting Quad to say exactly this.

My favorite phrase at UPS is "I don't recall".

Thebrownblob

Ok.

Well, so taking the scenario a bit larger.....let's say they see you stealing time....just on camera....

Nothing happens? I mean caught blatantly red-handed?

Explain this to me. Please. Serious question.
I’ve been involved in a case where they were blatantly stealing time by taking turns clocking each other in and a camera caught them. One guy admitted to everything the other did not. The guy who admit it got fired the guy who did not kept his job. Both should’ve been fired imo but that’s just how the cookie crumbles.

qdg2

The contract says nothing about cameras that don’t belong to UPS only technology UPS has in place. You have not been paying attention for very long, they’ve been using peoples camera phones ring doorbells and so on for years. Every panel I go to has at least one such case with differing outcomes.
So, address my scenario please.
+

Well...now I'm confused.

Thebrownblob

Fair enough......fact is fact though. Truth etc. It happened or it didn't. But now you are introducing conspiracy.

My point-I guarantee in time......it will be in beautiful living color.
What conspiracy? Lol it’s very easy don’t do dishonest things, Rolling through a stop sign and not remembering is quite different than stealing something. Every part about being a union member is us making sure you get every chance possible. Having said that if you’re just a basic turd eventually you’re going to get yourself fired no matter what we do. Unless you figure this out on your own and become a decent employee.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

Where does it say the in cab camera can be ignored by the company if it exonerates you?

Section 6. Technology and Discipline No driver shall be discharged based solely upon information received from GPS, telematics, or any successor system that similarly tracks or surveils a driver’s movements unless he/she engages in dishonesty (defined for the purposes of this paragraph as any intentional act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company). A driver’s failure to accurately recall what is reflected by the technology shall not by itself be considered dishonesty. The Company must confirm by direct observation or other corroborating evidence any other violations warranting discharge. The degree of discipline dealing with off-area offenses shall not be changed because of the use of the above-mentioned systems.

Thebrownblob

Haven’t seen that one yet, but even if Amazon says you did it doesn’t mean you get fired. I’ve already told you there are differenting outcomes and the panel decides that. Have you ever been to one? they have what’s called executive session where everyone leaves and they discuss whatever they choose. Either way if it gets to that level you or I have next to no say other than what we present.

qdg2

I was actually just quoting Quad to say exactly this.

My favorite phrase at UPS is "I don't recall".
Interesting....some might say this is dishonest.

My 40year policy has always to be honest and tell the truth. We all friend up. Own it. You'll have a long and lucrative career.

qdg2

Haven’t seen that one yet, but even if Amazon says you did it doesn’t mean you get fired. I’ve already told you there are differenting outcomes and the panel decides that. Have you ever been to one? they have what’s called executive session where everyone leaves and they discuss whatever they choose. Either way if it gets to that level you or I have next to no say other than what we present.
Right.......cameras and the outcomes are nebulous. So far. I believe this will change to them being discarded to being used with extreme prejudice.

I've been.....and was part of a coffee shop deal.

So, I know first hand about "differenting outcomes".

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

My 40year policy has always to be honest and tell the truth. We all friend up. Own it. You'll have a long and lucrative career.
It is absolutely not dishonest for you to say I don’t recall it would be ridiculous for you to recall something that happened the day before with a job is complicated and intricate is delivering hundreds of packages and picking up possibly just as many. We have so many interactions throughout the day you could not possibly be correct on all of them so your best bet is to say, I’m not really sure and I don’t recall.

Thebrownblob

Right.......cameras and the outcome is nebulous. So far.
It’s not nebulous with our own Technology… could that change sure quad I guess it could. But so far in my little piece of the world I’ve done quite a decent job at making sure it’s never happened I can only control here. Hopefully you have representation that is trying to do the same. My opinion has always been if someone deserves be fired they will be fired eventually regardless of what I do.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

Okay.

You like hypotheticals.

Let's say, you witness an accident in the building. Struck stationary. But let's say there's no damage.
Management asks you if you saw anything.

What do you say?

Thebrownblob

Okay.

You like hypotheticals.

Let's say, you witness an accident in the building. Struck stationary. But let's say there's no damage.

What do you say?
As a good union member you better say “ I don’t recall seeing anything“ And then later go over to the guy and tell him watch what the hell you doing knucklehead

qdg2

Okay.

You like hypotheticals.

What do you say?
Like hypotheticals....uh no. But I know that just about anything is possible and if it can happen it will.

Now, your scenario...

I would be honest.

Thebrownblob

Like hypotheticals....uh no. But I know that just about anything is possible and if it can happen it will.

Now, your scenario...

I would be honest.
Well if that’s what you would do I have very little respect for you, no damage and you’re willing to let another union brother lose his job?

qdg2

Now, your scenario...

I would be honest.
+
As a good union member you better say “ I don’t recall seeing anything“ And then later go over to the guy and tell him watch what the hell you doing knucklehead
+
Well if that’s what you would do I have very little respect for you, no damage and you’re willing to let another union brother lose his job?
Back at ya.

Didn't a minute ago, you said you thought 2 guys should lose their jobs.....IMO I believe?

What's the difference? Those 2 guys are stealing...you are lying....
Tells you all you need to know I guess. I know some management people who are better union members than that.

Back at ya.

Say, would you give the same deference to your yuck buddy mgr? Or even someone you hate?