New video! Unreported accidents, a job killer!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Always ratted myself out.....sometimes they would say forgetabout it if no $$$ damage.

why take the chance?

oh ya....the "Safe Lying " awards.

qdg2

Are the cameras both inward and outward facing? Did the customer change their mind and call in about the damaged sprinkler?

I do agree with you that there will be a marked increase in the number of reported accidents due to the cameras, which are primarily there to monitor the drivers behavior while behind the wheel (texting, scrolling through DIAD, rude/unprofessional behavior, eyes ahead of car....).
Getting a drink of water......

Again, we were told by global message to NOT take our hands off the wheel....including getting a drink of water. Yes, reaching for the cupholder will set off the alarm. Yes, reaching in your lunchbox(cooler) for said drink will set it off too. See, the sups are being bombed with alerts......

Within the day, we were told to disregard.......word of mouth not by text message.....so, the message of not getting a drink is still "official".

In reality, I drink about 7 standard bottles of water in my 12 hour shift. To say the least......I reach for that bottle ALOT.

I did query...."OK, since I can't drink while driving......you realize I'm going to be pulling over a lot...."this is where the message was to be disregarded.

Nobody could answer about working door locks, windows, instruments, radios and all other things that require attention and at least removing one hand from the wheel. Some tractors have the cruise low on the dash and you have to often look to find it. This requires eyes and hands.....see?

Think about radios.......small buttons........dark at night.

Thebrownblob

Getting a drink of water......

Again, we were told by global message to NOT take our hands off the wheel....including getting a drink of water. Yes, reaching for the cupholder will set off the alarm. Yes, reaching in your lunchbox(cooler) for said drink will set it off too. See, the sups are being bombed with alerts......

Within the day, we were told to disregard.......word of mouth not by text message.....so, the message of not getting a drink is still "official".

In reality, I drink about 7 standard bottles of water in my 12 hour shift. To say the least......I reach for that bottle ALOT.

I did query...."OK, since I can't drink while driving......you realize I'm going to be pulling over a lot...."this is where the message was to be disregarded.

Nobody could answer about working door locks, windows, instruments, radios and all other things that require attention and at least removing one hand from the wheel. Some tractors have the cruise low on the dash and you have to often look to find it. This requires eyes and hands.....see?

Think about radios.......small buttons........dark at night.
That silly camera doesn’t actually always go off when you drink water it’s kind of random at least in my package car. It does however tell me all the time I don’t have my seatbelt on when I do lol. It also says following distance when no one‘s in front of me. As well as this week my Center Manager called me in the office to look at video that was attached to my name and truck number of me running a stop sign. We looked at the video and both laughed and realized it was not me it was from a package car halfway across the state. It’s amazing technology that doesn’t work very well just like most ups Tech.

qdg2

That silly camera doesn’t actually always go off when you drink water it’s kind of random at least in my package car. It does however tell me all the time I don’t have my seatbelt on when I do lol. It also says following distance when no one‘s in front of me. As well as this week my Center Manager called me in the office to look at video that was attached to my name and truck number of me running a stop sign. We looked at the video and both laughed and realized it was not me it was from a package car halfway across the state. It’s amazing technology that doesn’t work very well just like most ups Tech.
Mine says seatbelt too....constantly.

Here's the problem: Discipline is going on and forward. No? You bet!

Here's the problem: I thought we couldn't be disciplined by technology alone?

So, what is technology?

BTW, telematics/GPS would have shown where and when you were there or not.

Did your mgr check that first before he even opened his mouth? See? You know....a little investigation. So, he assumed you were guilty....FIRST.

Thebrownblob

So, what is technology?

Did your mgr check that first before he even opened his mouth? See? You know....a little investigation. So, he assumed you were guilty....FIRST.
There was no discipline here of any kind nor has there been talk about it at all. What you may or may not understand is they can only get away with what you or your local allows them. I’ve had many instances where the company tried to use electronic means to discipline and I have managed to make sure none of them stick. This company is relentless though and they will continue.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

So, what is technology?

My manager brought me in there because he thought it was funny he thinks it’s a garbage system too. But he’s more old-school and thinks he can find plenty just with regular telematics and he’s probably right. He only brought me in there because he thought he was going to rub it in my face that I may have rolled through a stop sign. I might have but that wasn’t me on the video LOL.

Last edited:

qdg2

My manager brought me in there because he thought it was funny he thinks it’s a garbage system too. But he’s more old-school and thinks he can find plenty just with regular telematics and he’s probably right. He only brought me in there because he thought he was going to rub it in my face that I may have rolled through a stop sign. I might have but that wasn’t me on the video LOL.
Well......

You guys seem to be chummy....good for you.

And by your words.....he would "rub your face in running a stop sign".....

Interesting....

Is he really that cavalier? Meaning with just you or everyone?

Thebrownblob

Well......

You guys seem to be chummy....good for you.

And by your words.....he would "rub your face in running a stop sign".....

Interesting....

Is he really that cavalier?
Yes because there’s no discipline allowed. If he did a Driver observation in person it would be different.
The rub my face and it part was the day before there was an accident and it did not trigger this amazing new technology. And I was making fun of the new technology.
I don’t know if I would call Chummy we have a working relationship and I’ve known him for over 30 years when he and I were both hourly.

qdg2

There was no discipline here of any kind nor has there been talk about it at all. What you may or may not understand is they can only get away with what you or your local allows them. I’ve had many instances where the company tried to use electronic means to discipline and I have managed to make sure none of them stick. This company is relentless though and they will continue.
Oh, I understand.

Someone's going to get fired from the camera. Matter of time. I'm concerned about the final outcome....this is unplowed, fertile ground for the company.....there is no way they put these cameras everywhere just for yucks....

qdg2

Yes because there’s no discipline allowed. If he did a Driver observation in person it would be different.
The rub my face and it part was the day before there was an accident and it did not trigger this amazing new technology. And I was making fun of the new technology.
I don’t know if I would call Chummy we have a working relationship and I’ve known him for over 30 years when he and I were both hourly.
Ok.

Well, so taking the scenario a bit larger.....let's say they see you stealing time....just on camera....

Nothing happens? I mean caught blatantly red-handed?

Explain this to me. Please. Serious question.

Thebrownblob

Oh, I understand.

Someone's going to get fired from the camera. Matter of time. I'm concerned about the final outcome....this is unplowed, fertile ground for the company.....there is no way they put these cameras everywhere just for yucks....
Yes they most certainly will, just like any technology it can be used if you lie. And it will depend on the quality of your representation.

Thebrownblob

Ok.

Well, so taking the scenario a bit larger.....let's say they see you stealing time....just on camera....

Generally the camera or telematics are used to pinpoint a driver doing something. They work pretty well because then management can go out and do A visual observation and see them. The thing about liars and thieves is they generally don’t stop. Since I’m none of those things I’ve never really been too concerned.

qdg2

This reminds me of some TV show....when the perp gets off on a technicality....he and his lawyer yucking it up. Back slapping and all.

Thebrownblob

Ok.

Also I will say I’ve been involved in quite a few cases were cameras that do not belong to UPS were used and they can be used at liberty those are the cameras people should be worried about. If you’re doing dumb stuff on route there’s a camera somewhere watching you I’m certain.

Thebrownblob

This reminds me of some TV show....when the perp gets off on a technicality....he and his lawyer yucking it up. Back slapping and all.
I’m not advocating for people to do things they should not I’m also not advocating for UPS to use technology in a non-contractual way. My responsibility is to the member.

qdg2

Yes they most certainly will, just like any technology it can be used if you lie. And it will depend on the quality of your representation.
Ok....so it can be used for discipline.

Running a stop sign and not admitting it is lying.....right? You were being dishonest.....

So, a good steward can get you out of it.....how? Invoke the what?

Thebrownblob

Running a stop sign and not admitting it is lying.....right? You were being dishonest.....

Well I would advise you to say I don’t remember, because if you’re anything like me the chances are you actually don’t remember. Everything is not as black-and-white as you would like to make it.

Thebrownblob

You can’t be that serious when you ask me that way have you never been asked about a stop and your day out of the hundred stops you’ve done and looked at them like they’re crazy how am I supposed to remember everything I did all day? My answer is I don’t recall doing that. Or I can’t remember that exact situation. If I made a mistake I’ll do better next time. Thank you for the coaching Mr. management. This isn’t rocket science and I’m not Johnny Cochran it’s pretty easy actually.