New Video! Will the media have our back?

Thebrownblob

In 1997 we had a unified message that the general public could latch onto. Part time America doesn’t work.

I’m not certain what are unified message to the general public is right now, should we go on strike.

There’s quite a number of issues, but I don’t know if any of them are relatable to the general public.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In 1997 we had a unified message that the general public could latch onto. Part time America doesn’t work.

I’m not certain what are unified message to the general public is right now, should we go on strike.

There’s quite a number of issues, but I don’t know if any of them are relatable to the general public.
Why would the same message not resonate today?

Way more than half of UPS union employees make far less than the well advertised driver wages.

Thebrownblob

Why would the same message not resonate today?
I think it would, we need to coalesce around one general message such as that. Obviously, this contract is more complicated than one thing, but the general public will not understand or have the time. The company will really try to seize on this.

I think the current administration has done a good job, informing and gaining support of the members. Informing and getting support from the general public is a little more nuanced.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I think it would, we need to coalesce around one general message such as that. Obviously, this contract is more complicated than one thing, but the general public will not understand or have the time. The company will really try to seize on this.

I think the current administration has done a good job, informing and gaining support of the members. Informing and getting support from the general public is a little more nuanced.

The general attitude of the American public is that the “Haves” have been winning and always will unless something gives. Just study our two party system, both the Democrats and the Republicans have ran successfully courting the middle class and bad mouthing the 2 percenters.
The Teamsters leadership knows this and should be able to negotiate a great Contract in this one.

Bottom line is that O’Brien will not give us the voting rights till he gets what he has promised, which seriously is not much. I hate to say it but a vast majority of our members would sell out others to get their share, human nature who knows. The closer we get to that deadline expect the fear factor to come into play, we seen it ever Contract … members turning on each other.

Once the truth comes out about the inequality associated with past Concessions the media left and right will be on our side. We haven’t even scratched the surface of how the Company had been treating its employees over the decades..hourly and management. Both sides do not want that published… not in this economy were the bottom feeders are suffering..

This flaunting about the average package car driver making 93,000 and great pension and healthcare is not the norm for most of our members. So much inequality in our pay, pension and healthcare it ain’t funny. Also another factor is you do not clear 100,000 a year in your household you would be considered lower middle class now.. welcome to the new normal..Inflation is killing everybody.. the public outside of UPS is feeling it also and really do not feel it will change for the better. That Two percent inflation rate goal by the federal reserve is unattainable by the way..

Last edited:

Satuirus2000

Yeah I struggle to see how the media and public wouldn't be on our side. Corporate profits have increased to obscene numbers. Everyone knows this and it's clear to see everywhere across many industries all across the country. The average everyday worker has not benefited from those increased profits in any kind of equitable manner. Anybody sympathetic to corporations in this climate would need their head examined.

Pullman Brown

The CEO/company likes to highlight driver top rate and benefits- this is very misleading obviously because it doesn’t do justice to the situation of the whole workforce. At least call that out. Edit: never mind somebody already said this!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There will be ZERO public support for a strike, especially when the public finds out that a FT seniority driver who works an hour or two of overtime per time is earning in excess of $100K for a job that requires only a HS diploma and valid driver's license. They will be asking where to sign up.

Thebrownblob

There will be ZERO public support for a strike, especially when the public finds out that a FT seniority driver who works an hour or two of overtime per time is earning in excess of $100K for a job that requires only a HS diploma and valid driver's license. They will be asking where to sign up.
You would be wrong as usual. Like we said before you’ve been gone long enough to not understand the dynamics of this job people do not want to do this job not even for 100 K a year, not to mention in many cities 100 K is not what it used to be.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Guarantee the media will keep saying we currently make over $100,000 a year plus benefits, or they may include the benefits in the total.

They will search for some single mom with a disabled child that didn't get their medicine. She will be crying for the camera.

Thebrownblob

Guarantee the media will keep saying we currently make over $100,000 a year plus benefits, or they may include the benefits in the total.
And this is hidden information? It’s not, people already know what we make and then they see what we do…..and say yeah no thanks I’ve been here a long time and I’ve seen them come and try and decide it’s not worth it for them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lots of people care about part-timers, one of my kids is still a part timer, and I started out as a part-time and going to college. Why would I not care? Just because you didn’t is not indicative of average normal people.
I actually took care of my preloader at Peak with a (regifted) gift card and throughout the year with drinks and breakfast sandwiches on occasion.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
And this is hidden information? It’s not, people already know what we make and then they see what we do…..and say yeah no thanks I’ve been here a long time and I’ve seen them come and try and decide it’s not worth it for them.
All I'm saying is when Joe Sixpack sees someone striking and hears they get $140k a year from the media, they are not feeling sorry for us.

Thebrownblob

All I'm saying is when Joe Sixpack sees someone striking and hears they get $140k a year from the media, they are not feeling sorry for us.
My guess is Joe six pack will never feel sorry for us anyway but they might support the idea of a giant corporation making billions of dollars trying to keep a few dollars an hour and some work rules from people who bust their ass for them day in and day out. And not a lot of package car drivers are making 140 K without a ridiculous amount of hours, and wear on the body,possibly some feeder drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You would be surprised at how many people that don't have a clue as to what you guys make.